Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

"Now I wouldn't rush out and buy an antenna because of the mountains you mentioned. I would first try and see if you can find anyone who installs these antennas in your area."

Like whom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 02:34 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,372,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Now I wouldn't rush out and buy an antenna because of the mountains you mentioned. I would first try and see if you can find anyone who installs these antennas in your area."

Like whom?
Well, what's the closest place to you that sells TV's? Call them up and tell they you are interested in having a roof antenna installed and do they know anyone who might be able to do that for you. Google on a computer "TV antenna installation" followed by areas surrounded by where you live. Go to YP.com - Yellow Pages, the new yellowpages.com and type in TV antenna installation, or TV Repair, for your area and surrounding area. Call all of these people up and ask. You will eventually get a lead. You could also check with Dish, or Direct TV installers by looking at Yellow Pages and Google. They are frequently independent contractors that can be hired for side jobs such as installing an antenna. They know how to connect all the necessary cables and should have general knowledge about Over the Air reception in your area.

First start with TV Fool. If you feel comfortable telling me or PM me your zip code, I will go on it for you and see what it says as far as your reception in your area or you can do it yourself. Do you live in a house? Is it one or two stories? I know you said you are rural. How far are you from a major city? Only thing TV Fool may not know is how much interference you may get from surrounding mountains, but it will tell if you are in range of good signals. The information shown on TV Fool will also indicate what type of antenna you will need.

You said you bought a window antenna, but you didn't say what kind of TV you have. If you have an analog tv, then you will not be able to get reception on your tv, as all signals have been pretty much converted to digital. Is your TV the old fashioned fat kind, as opposed to a flat screen?

Old 12-06-2015, 04:33 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,943 times
You could borrow a neighbors unencrypted wifi and use a roku to get hulu,netflix,ect

Old 12-06-2015, 07:54 PM

605 posts, read 625,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I have 23 places I can go to and get movies, without registration. I have a folder Icon, that when I click all 23 are shown and I click the one I want. Get most new movies Free, and as late as one day late TV shows depending on what one. However it can only be used with an Internet Connection.

We also have replaced our land line phone, with a NetTalk box for $45 per year, equal to $3.75 per month. Actual sound is better than the big provider we previously used. Free long distance to U.S. and Canada, and lot of other normal features that often cost extra at no cost..
Can you provide some links for good free movies and TV shows?

Your mention of NetTalk caught my interest so I checked the reviews at Amazon and other places. It sure sounds good on paper, but the reviews are almost uniformly terrible for both the device and customer service. Whew.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:30 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
Quote:
Don't have Internet or a smart phone (I feel like I'm repeating myself, heh).
I use a computer at work and have just a basic Tracfone. What I WANT is to be able to stream movies and TV using free wifi in local public venues AND pick up a few local stations for weather/news only (emergencies). To that end, I've purchased an AMAZON FIRE TABLET 7", a flat passive digital cable antenna (?) that fits in a window, and just a cheap TV-top antenna. I will experiment and report back!
What you want to do is to download the movie onto your hard disk at the library, Starbucks, or even parked in the lot of Panera bread or Burger King. You said that you want to use free wifi, but you weren't clear if you want the movies for free.

Bottom line is that nobody gives away any movie that is worthwhile for free. Netflix and even youtube don't legally give you permission to download their movies for offline viewing. Amazon is the most open to making movies available for downloading (for a fee) to view on your computer later.

Play on TV has a service that allows you to do that as well.

The number of TV stations that broadcast channels with old television shows, weather, and local news has increased exponentially in the last 5 years. I live in the Lehigh Valley PA which is the most populous area with the worst antenna reception in the country. The bottom line is that we can't have our own network TV stations like Wilkes Barre and Harrisburg because we are too close to Philadelphia and New York City. But there are mountains that block the signals from both cities.

But if you are more fortunate, you should get enough HDTV for free to give you sports, news and old TV shows. A DVR is fairly expensive option for over the air TV (normally at least $300 unless you purchase a used one), so you might consider an old fashioned VCR.

================
But the cost of 25 Mbps internet where I am starts at $30 per month. If you buy coffee at a Starbucks twice a week and a cookie you will probably spend more than that. Plus you have to pay for the stuff you download by the movie, which is much more expensive than a streaming service like Netflix, Amazon or HBO.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-07-2015 at 12:12 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 AM

"...borrow a neighbors unencrypted wifi and use a roku to get hulu,Netflix..."

I feel like Rip Van Winkle, just waking up from a long winter's nap; are people just born knowing all about this stuff today or what?

WTH is an "unencrypted wifi" and how to you "borrow" it???

Old 12-08-2015, 01:00 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,372,023 times
Quote:
"...borrow a neighbors unencrypted wifi and use a roku to get hulu,Netflix..."

I feel like Rip Van Winkle, just waking up from a long winter's nap; are people just born knowing all about this stuff today or what?

WTH is an "unencrypted wifi" and how to you "borrow" it???
That means you steal someone else's bandwidth signal if they don't have it password protected. Or you may speak with your neighbor (if they are next door to you and have a strong enough signal) and offer to help pay part of their internet bill to let you tap into their service. Either one is illegal, but up to you.

Everything we speak of is a learning curve. It takes time. You tackle one subject at a time. See if you had an internet service provider, you could go on YouTube and learn how to do these things. They always have people on there to teach and show you. You really should look into a less expensive internet provider in your area like a DSL service, or in at least getting a TV antenna installed if they work in your area.

You didn't answer me about what kind of TV you got (old school or new flat HD TV) If your aim is to replace your current cable which I think you said you had or at least intimated at it, you are not going to be able to do that 100%. But most who cut the cable (get rid of cable) find investing in an over the air roof antenna, along with netflix (with a Roku) coupled with the shows you will be able to get online is generally very sufficient. Problem is most cable companies are raising rates considerably for internet only now. I myself pay $67 a month for it alone. But in other areas you can find it cheaper if you live in lower cost of living area or you can subscribe to a DSL service.

Your lack of internet service puts you at a great disadvantage for learning new things. It is the way most people get all of their information today.

I think if your area offers summer classes at the high schools, you should look and see if they have any computer classes with a Introduction to Internet. It might be helpful, or find a friend who might be willing to help you learn and get you up to speed.

Last edited by modhatter; 12-08-2015 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 08:30 AM

Well, obviously I'm "on the Internet"; just not at home. Sadly, I have very few -- and very poor -- signals (poor receptivity) in my new location; not many options. Just looked into Time-Warner Cable, which would've been perfect (enough channels for just $10; no contract), but no towers... Will have to fire up my FIRE and see if I get anything over in the back window closest to my neighbor... Which is also the only place I get a cell phone signal! I also noticed that there's free WIFI at Walmart; why?

Old analog TV with a converter box.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:08 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Someone mentioned using a USB port (it's the thing that takes the red, white, and yellow plugs, I'm assuming). I have an very old TV I'm using, and it has the plugs; however, it also requires a converter box to work, and that's taking up the plugs, so I don't see how I'd hook up ALL these things at once.

Help?
Nope... the only way to connect to the internet is to have an internet connection. The red/white/yellow plugs are the RCA input/outputs, not the USB (universal bus) which is a flat 5 contact plug about 3/8" wide and 4-5mm high.

How old is your television? Are we talking no hdmi ports old?
Quote:
Well, obviously I'm "on the Internet"; just not at home. Sadly, I have very few -- and very poor -- signals (poor receptivity) in my new location; not many options.

Old analog TV with a converter box.
OKay... do yourself a favor. There are LED (NOT LCD) flat 40" smart tv's for under $350. If we are talking an analog CRT, you'll save the cost of the TV in electricity within a year or two. PLUS, you'll have multiple options for connectivity. You may even be able to use your cp as a bridge/hotspot. It'll be way healthier for you as well. CRTs will kill ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
That means you steal someone else's bandwidth signal if they don't have it password protected. Or you may speak with your neighbor (if they are next door to you and have a strong enough signal) and offer to help pay part of their internet bill to let you tap into their service. Either one is illegal, but up to you.
I'm fairly certain that sharing a wifi signal is not illegal. Splitting costs, or charging to share it might break terms of service, but illegal, not that I know of.

Last edited by steven_h; 12-09-2015 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-10-2015, 06:38 AM

"You may even be able to use your cp as a bridge/hotspot."

What is a "cp"? Again, I don't have Internet -- or even a computer or device, other than a FIRE I've yet to try out in a public free WIFI venue -- at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology