Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haikudap View Post
If you're a leftist/progressive/statist, you'll be fine whatever you do. Otherwise run the other way.
JW

Thanks to Glennda Beck for bringing "statist" into the conservative's vocab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:57 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmethehellouttahere View Post
As a real engineer, with a real engineering degree, and not just some software/computer guy who calls himself an engineer, It really bothers me how people in the PNW think that they are the center of the technology world. They are a BLIP in the history of tech. LONG before SEattle and SF were the cities they are today, real engineers were creating actual tangible beneficial technological revolutions elsewhere.

Like Obama said, most of what the PNW thinks is great (ipad, iphone, windows) is just a distraction.

Get over yourselves.
O you mean like when Boeing and their army of engineers revolutionized/pioneered the commercial aviation industry?

Last edited by toughguy; 08-17-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Thanks to Glennda Beck for bringing "statist" into the conservative's vocab.
Glen "Tilting at Windmills" Beck.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:54 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Hey I never said I was one of those that gets personally offended...I was just offering an alternate interpretation on what you percieve as emotional, irrational reactions. To me it sounds like you didn't even really live in Seattle as an adult (you are what, 24?), so I kind of view your opinions in a prism of a child's perspective. Theres nothing wrong with having some hometown pride, but I agree that a couple of people on the forum take it a little far.
Okay. Maybe you don't. Some of your responses make it hard to tell otherwise...

I'm 26, I lived there from June '08 to October '09, which (considering my birthdate) puts me there from 24 to 26. If you don't want to believe me, that's fine, I recall NUB made the same allegation initially, for more or less the same reason. As an adult, I lived up in Maple Leaf, on Roosevelt and 95th, I was a few blocks from a 7-11 on the East Side of the street, there's a bead shop I used to go to as a kid that was still there across the street called Beadworld, and there was a dog groomer with the saucy name "Doggie Style" about a block down. You can go drive up Roosevelt and verify this if you really care, and hopefully you won't convince yourself I wasted time on Google Earth discovering this just to prove a point. I worked at Virginia Mason on First Hill. I've also named numerous Seattle institutions that no longer exist and what is there in their place in other threads. Trust me... I lived there.

Again, as I said, my experience was one thing; yours is another. There are plenty of people here who disagree with me because they chose to live in Seattle and have had a great experience, then there are also plenty of people who think I'm spot on because they had similar experiences to mine.

Look: my parents are devoutly Christian, and that's how I was raised... but I never believed in any of it. Telling my parents I didn't believe in Jesus Christ as my personal lord and saviour went over like a Buick going off a cliff, and at one point in my early adult years, my dad told me that there would always be a rift between us, because "by my telling him that [i] didn't believe in Jesus, [i] was telling [him] that he was wrong." I told him that's not how I looked at it. Similar situation here: I disagree with you based on my experience but don't doubt that your opinions are correct for your experience. Go on loving Seattle, go on thinking that the people there are awesome; based on my experience there, I can't agree. There is nothing wrong with my describing my experience to people since everything I say is true, and again, other people have had similar experiences.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Thinly veiling your own thoughts and trying to speak for the entire population of LA doesn't really change what you're trying to say. You stereotyped both LA and Seattle. I quite nicely pointed out that there are quite a few people driving BMWs around Seattle and I (being someone who lives in the area and one you pretend to speak for) don't hate any of them.
I was using an example, not pretending to speak for any group of people, sheesh. I guess I need to be literal down to the last dot with you.

I could spend the next 45 minutes re-typing it out in politically-correct detail but really, really don't feel like it. Let me just summarize:

1. Either you get what I'm saying but have chosen to nitpick because I somehow offended you, or

2. You genuinely do not understand that I'm generalizing for the purpose of a debate, rather than typing for 45 minutes to protect your feelings.

You don't agree with me, fine. Carry on.

Quote:
I also can't say I've seen much if any of the 'Seattle xenophobia' you seem to think is common.
Super! No wonder you love it there!

Quote:
Although if you go some place and insult everyone that lives there, I can't imagine you're ever going to make friends there.
This is so true! You're absolutely right. I wouldn't expect someone to move to a place, immedeately begin disparaging people, and expect them to be their friends.

What, do you think that when my roommate and I went to invite people over for our pot luck, we showed up at their doors dressed like a pair of LA partiers and were like, "hey! We think Seattle blows and you all suck, you want to come to our pot luck? OMG don't you think that's the CUTEST and COOLEST tagline for a potluck EVER? We're so awesome." No, we were very pleasant. I didn't go to shows and try to engage people in conversation by going, "wow, Seattle sure sucks, don't you think? What's up with this Gregoire harpy? Can we get a Governator up in this place?" I work in hospitality for god's sake, I'm agreeable as it gets, especially in person. I used the exact same social mores that have gotten me large social circles everywhere else I've ever lived and ended up with diametrically-different results in Seattle.

Quote:
So, that may in fact be the source of the 'xenophobia' you speak of.
It probably would have been if I had been the sort of jerk you imagine me to be, but since I'm actually a very agreeable, amicable, polite and generally sociable person by the definitions of everywhere else I've lived, I must disagree with you.

Quote:
Don't confuse someone's dislike of your own personality for a fear of everyone from somewhere else.
And again, you know nothing about who I am or what my experience was like. You're wrong. Assume what you want about me, I really don't care.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Yep. Seattle has all those and more.

Take a lesson from an old lady that learned hers. Don't try to change the world, just change your world view.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Okay. Maybe you don't. Some of your responses make it hard to tell otherwise...

I'm 26, I lived there from June '08 to October '09, which (considering my birthdate) puts me there from 24 to 26. If you don't want to believe me, that's fine, I recall NUB made the same allegation initially, for more or less the same reason. As an adult, I lived up in Maple Leaf, on Roosevelt and 95th, I was a few blocks from a 7-11 on the East Side of the street, there's a bead shop I used to go to as a kid that was still there across the street called Beadworld, and there was a dog groomer with the saucy name "Doggie Style" about a block down. You can go drive up Roosevelt and verify this if you really care, and hopefully you won't convince yourself I wasted time on Google Earth discovering this just to prove a point. I worked at Virginia Mason on First Hill. I've also named numerous Seattle institutions that no longer exist and what is there in their place in other threads. Trust me... I lived there.

Again, as I said, my experience was one thing; yours is another. There are plenty of people here who disagree with me because they chose to live in Seattle and have had a great experience, then there are also plenty of people who think I'm spot on because they had similar experiences to mine.

Look: my parents are devoutly Christian, and that's how I was raised... but I never believed in any of it. Telling my parents I didn't believe in Jesus Christ as my personal lord and saviour went over like a Buick going off a cliff, and at one point in my early adult years, my dad told me that there would always be a rift between us, because "by my telling him that [i] didn't believe in Jesus, [i] was telling [him] that he was wrong." I told him that's not how I looked at it. Similar situation here: I disagree with you based on my experience but don't doubt that your opinions are correct for your experience. Go on loving Seattle, go on thinking that the people there are awesome; based on my experience there, I can't agree. There is nothing wrong with my describing my experience to people since everything I say is true, and again, other people have had similar experiences.
Please show me where I come off as offended or overly defensive, because that's certainly not my style. I think you might be confusing me with someone else.

I take your word for it that you have lived here at some points in your life, you don't have to prove anything to me. I haven't tried to silence you or shout you down, so I don't know why you have this big persecution chip on your shoulder - you may have rejected your parent's christian beliefs, but that unique brand of conservative christian victim mentality is still surfacing a bit.

Last edited by toughguy; 08-18-2010 at 05:55 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Please show me where I come off as offended or overly defensive, because that's certainly not my style. I think you might be confusing me with someone else.
You mean like these snippets of conversation?

//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...l#post15439886

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...l#post14826188

All things considered I probably did confuse you with someone else. Who that is, I don't know. Sometimes you give very fair and informative responses to people posting negatives about Seattle, and other times, you do act really personally offended.

Quote:
I take your word for it that you have lived here at some points in your life, you don't have to prove anything to me.
Cool, thanks!

Quote:
I haven't tried to silence you or shout you down, so I don't know where this persecution complex is coming from- maybe the conservative christian upbringing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by edited version
I haven't tried to silence you or shout you down, so I don't know why you have this big persecution chip on your shoulder - you may have rejected your parent's christian beliefs, but that unique brand of conservative christian victim mentality is still surfacing a bit.
It could also be from the fact that you (and a couple others) seem to be so quick and happy to assume that I ande others who disagree with you have asperger's or don't bathe or something. Was it you who said in one of the threads that the people who didn't like Seattle probably just had halitosis? I think the comment was taken down. Sorry if I'm lumping everyone here who's oversensitive into one entity and calling it "toughguy." I'll try to refrain in the future.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:55 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
So, 415_s2k, let me ask a simple question: If you live in San Fran now, why do you come to the Seattle forums giving people who are looking to move here advice?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 PM

Cause I can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area