Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:29 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
I've come to think that everyone complaining about the people and feeling lonely in Seattle are the same people who have trouble making new friends or being outgoing in a new environment and feel the need to wine about their issues online.
Never had issues elsewhere.

Quote:
But I've yet to figure out why other city's forums don't have the same problem then, so maybe not.

ahh whatever.
Thaaaat's the spirit!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 AM

457 posts, read 1,345,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Actually, this same complaint has surfaced in the San Francisco (and to some degree San Diego) forum from time to time. It seems to be an epidemic in the Seattle forum though but the gripes are the same; introverted, cold and non-friendly. I've noticed that a lot of these complainers are not west coast natives and are not aware of the culture our cities share which is different than what many may be used to. While my time in Seattle was short, I found it no different really than what I'm used to down here. Seattle is a wonderful place as we all know but it requires patients for some.
Seattle seems to me to be sort of like that one professor you have who gets bad reviews on ratemyprofessors.com but who actually turns out to be a nice guy. Turns out he's a tough grader and all the clowns online rate him badly because they weren't prepared to make the effort that was needed to succeed in his class. They got bad grades, so they decide to blame it on the professor.

Sort of the same thing with apartment ratings. People only feel the need to write bad reviews online when they have a problem. All the happy tenants, or in the previous case, good prepared students, are never heard from.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:07 AM

54 posts, read 105,541 times
Well, I still can't get a feel for it yet --- is it widely accepted that it is harder to meet/get close to people in Seattle? I'm considering a move from the east coast but definitely want to be in a place where it's easy to meet people, people are friendly, etc. I have trouble enough where I am but also feel a lack of shared values that I was thinking I'd have with PNW'ers (more spiritual, health & environmental consciousness, etc). Maybe I'm just operating on too many stereotypes! Does anyone have a sense of how Portland, OR compares?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:30 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,838 times
Quote:
I've come to think that everyone complaining about the people and feeling lonely in Seattle are the same people who have trouble making new friends or being outgoing in a new environment and feel the need to wine about their issues online.

But I've yet to figure out why other city's forums don't have the same problem then, so maybe not.

ahh whatever.
Not true. I am a one-time Seattleite (18 years there) that used to complain about the "cold" culture but am now happily living in Austin, TX. I've met several ex-Seattlites here who cannot believe the difference in cultures. Seattle is a tough place for extroverts with a direct style because that type of personality is not valued there. It's that simple.

My niece is down here right now visiting from the PNW and cannot get over how friendly everyone is here. She sees it as a real positive, as do I. However, I imagine there are some people that would find such friendliness intrusive. Those are the types of people that feel at home in Seattle.

That said, I'm not saying that people that feel comfortable in Seattle are bad people, they are just different.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:40 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,251,057 times
Jennibc, I agree with you. Even though I personally like Seattle better than Austin in large part because of the summer weather, scenery, and more outdoor opportunities, people do seem a bit friendlier and more open in Austin. Not that people are not nice or cannot be friendly in Seattle, but like you stated, they are different.

I have been to Austin twice and each time for a relatively short stay. Personally, I feel that Austin is overrated. Not a bad place, but considering how it usually ranks in the top 5 or 10 in many categories in different publications I feel it is over hyped. Like you mentioned though, people seem to be a bit more open. In fact, the few times I went out to downtown Austin to hit the bars on 6th street and the blocks around 6th, 4th through 7th I believe, the bar scene, the people, and the level of service was pretty good considering that Austin is not a huge metropolitan area.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Seattle seems to me to be sort of like that one professor you have who gets bad reviews on ratemyprofessors.com but who actually turns out to be a nice guy. Turns out he's a tough grader and all the clowns online rate him badly because they weren't prepared to make the effort that was needed to succeed in his class. They got bad grades, so they decide to blame it on the professor.

Sort of the same thing with apartment ratings. People only feel the need to write bad reviews online when they have a problem. All the happy tenants, or in the previous case, good prepared students, are never heard from.
Great analogy and you're probably right.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:37 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Not true. I am a one-time Seattleite (18 years there) that used to complain about the "cold" culture but am now happily living in Austin, TX. I've met several ex-Seattlites here who cannot believe the difference in cultures. Seattle is a tough place for extroverts with a direct style because that type of personality is not valued there. It's that simple.

My niece is down here right now visiting from the PNW and cannot get over how friendly everyone is here. She sees it as a real positive, as do I. However, I imagine there are some people that would find such friendliness intrusive. Those are the types of people that feel at home in Seattle.

That said, I'm not saying that people that feel comfortable in Seattle are bad people, they are just different.
Interesting jenni, a lot of people I know in California who visit Seattle or the PNW in general talk about how much friendlier the people are there. I've noticed that myself as well.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:53 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Interesting jenni, a lot of people I know in California who visit Seattle or the PNW in general talk about how much friendlier the people are there. I've noticed that myself as well.
People here in Seattle are generally more polite than people in CA. That doesn't necessarily translate to "friendly" or friendships/relationships.

Jennibc has the focal point down though, Seattle is a very different type of area. For introvert personalities, (imo) Seattle is perfect. That's not to say that extroverts won't feel comfortable here, but it may be somewhat different than areas they may have lived in before.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:17 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
People here in Seattle are generally more polite than people in CA. That doesn't necessarily translate to "friendly" or friendships/relationships.

Jennibc has the focal point down though, Seattle is a very different type of area. For introvert personalities, (imo) Seattle is perfect. That's not to say that extroverts won't feel comfortable here, but it may be somewhat different than areas they may have lived in before.
I agree with these posts. Without a doubt, I found people in Seattle to be considerably more polite than people in Southern Cal., especially L.A.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 AM

457 posts, read 1,345,013 times
I could listen to everyone on here talk about the cold, unfriendly culture... or I could go out and talk to all the real people I know who feel the opposite. I've honestly never met someone in real life who has this particular problem with Seattle, and never knew it existed even, until I found this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area