Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 PM

11 posts, read 17,068 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I have recently relocated from San Diego to Portland for a good job along with an awesome education subsidization package for my kids. Turns out that job isn't what I was expecting and after talking to a few recruiters, I have a job offer from Swedish (at their First Hill downtown campus) with a really nice pay raise and in a department that I specialize in. I'm an RN specializing in quality.

Now, here are a few of my concerns...

Could I love close(ish) to work affordably? (Less then $1600 in rent for a 3 bedroom would be nice). Right now I commute less then 10 minutes to work which is nice, but realistically I'd be willing to do 30 min one way. We're from Berkeley, CA, and would love to find somewhere with that hippy vibe (but not hipster - we don't wear big glasses!)

Nursing schools in the area for my kids. I know U of WA Seattle has a great program, but how hard is it to get into? My kids will be transferring from a community college. My oldest is currently trying to get into Portland Community College's nursing program to get her ADN and then transfer to a BSN program.

Potential for horseback riding. We had a horse property and 4 horses back in San Diego and would love to get back into riding or (really possibly) own a horse property. Are there any horse centered areas?

We are a VERY outdoorsy family. That's why we love Portland. What kind of outdoor activities are up in Seattle? We love hiking, backpacking, camping.

We absolutely love the overcast, dreary weather so that isn't an issue. I still go hiking every morning with the dog in the pouring rain. We're cold weather people. 2 out of 3 cars are AWD and the FWD one is about to be replaced.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 08:43 AM

123 posts, read 245,122 times
Default Swedish

You should be able to find something within 20 minutes or less for
under $1600. While I do not live in the downtown area, most of our
staff do, and seem to like it and find reasonably priced housing.
However its likely most don't need 3 bedrooms. More $$
I work on the Swedish Cherry Hill Campus, but am no longer with the
Hospital. Swedish is our major account though, so I'm familiar with the
area after 28 years. We provide their lab services.

Its definitely city living though and you will likely need to travel north or
east to find stables for ridding. That could be an hour or so.

The outdoor activities here are as in Portland, and probably more
variety.
I would think you would be happy here. Swedish has a good reputation
(JMHO), and continues to expand with clinics and smaller hospitals, and
relationships with existing hospitals. They are very well managed, and attract
some of the best doctors in the region.
But they are BIG, so it may be a different experience working for them.

The UW school of nursing is consistently in the top 5 in the nation and
often considered number 1. Very hard to get into, especially as a transfer
student. My wife is an RN and could not do it, with top grades.
But there are other two year programs in the area, and Seattle University
has a good one too....just not inexpensive. That's the beauty of the
BSN from UW.

Good luck.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureHunter View Post

Could I love close(ish) to work affordably? (Less then $1600 in rent for a 3 bedroom would be nice). Right now I commute less then 10 minutes to work which is nice, but realistically I'd be willing to do 30 min one way. We're from Berkeley, CA, and would love to find somewhere with that hippy vibe (but not hipster - we don't wear big glasses!)
Ballard and West Seattle... even Beacon Hill. But I highly doubt travel will be less than 10 mins, but definitely under 30.

Quote:
Nursing schools in the area for my kids. I know U of WA Seattle has a great program, but how hard is it to get into? My kids will be transferring from a community college. My oldest is currently trying to get into Portland Community College's nursing program to get her ADN and then transfer to a BSN program.
You have UWSeattle, Seattle University and UWTacoma that offer BSN. Bellevue College offers a very good, popular RN program as well... but I remember my friend who was in the program many years ago saying that it's a 2 year waiting list to get in-- best to talk to them about it. Bellevue C also offers MRI, Ultrasound, et.c if Nursing doesn't work out for your kids.

Quote:
Potential for horseback riding. We had a horse property and 4 horses back in San Diego and would love to get back into riding or (really possibly) own a horse property. Are there any horse centered areas?

We are a VERY outdoorsy family. That's why we love Portland. What kind of outdoor activities are up in Seattle? We love hiking, backpacking, camping.
We have several hourse centered areas... Woodinville has the world famous horse rehab.

Personally, I'd say WA offers more outdoor activities than OR does with the sound, islands and the rainforest... but they might accuse me of being biased.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:32 PM

11 posts, read 17,068 times
Thanks guys! Some great information

We're from San Francisco (the city) and enjoy city living. We've taken a few trips up to Seattle and have absolutely loved it up there. Way different then Portland.

Gwix98, the reason I want to work at Swedish is their amazing, well managed programs and their size. Right now I am absolutely not getting the support I need at work because they don't want to change nor have the capabilities to. I have health insurance through this hospital and am honestly afraid to send my kids here if they get hurt.

I am really worried about the oldest not being able to get into U of WA. She's a good student (3.7 gpa) but it's a HARD program to get into, I know. She's finished all of her pre-reqs and has experience as an EMT but I still don't think that would be enough.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 PM

123 posts, read 245,122 times
Default UW admission

Its tough, and its good you know that up front. But I am a bit of an optimist,
so I believe in continuing to apply, until they get sick of you and finally let you in,and I know that happens, as I have friends who got into the med school that way. If not there are plenty of 2 year options which will get you the RN, and you can do the BSN later.

Glad to have you in Seattle and if I can help in any way let me know.

gwix98@yahoo.com

It will work out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area