Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 05:49 PM

7 posts, read 22,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassies View Post
I got my offer Monday so all is good

Now on to some questions about best areas to live for a big family within reasonable commuting time with schools that have good programs for kids with aspergers. I will ask apart from this mega thread after a bit mor searching!!
What position did you apply for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:51 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C30NY View Post
I received a call late today for a phone interview, another position....so its still positive. and of course I'm always pleasant and non-offensive. I do know this is difficult for some people at times
If it makes you feel better, a lot of people at Amazon get offers this way...interview, not quite a good fit but good fit for Amazon...condensed interview with another team...get an offer from another team.

RVD.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,572 times
Default Just Accepted an Offer

Just received and accepted an offer with Amazon, thought I would post my experience.

Quick preface...I had worked for Amazon (training/development) for a couple weeks back in April, but as a consultant. Due to legal issues, they had to end the contract, but always said to keep in touch. They're finally filling the position, and we got back in touch and I had two phone interviews last week. Flew me in this past weekend for a Monday of interviews. I interviewed with 5 people, 4 of which are either on my team or work with my team. The fifth is the "bar-raiser" (google amazon interview process for more info if it hasn't been posted here already) All the interviews went great (obviously, since I just accepted the offer). There were lots of "Tell me about a time when you failed and how you handled it..." or "Tell me about a time where you were able to overcome obstacles" and a whole host of other "Tell me about a time...." questions.

By the end of the day I was a little brain-fried, but as long as you're confident and prepared, it's a breeze. I had sat in Starbucks that morning and spent a few hours the night before researching, learning about their leadership principles (hint: they come up frequently during the interview!) and about the interview process, which really helped.

I was treated really well all day, everyone was very nice. I knew not to wear a suit, but love how casual the workplace is. Didn't see any guys not wearing jeans (although not ripped/holey jeans), everyone was business-very-casual.

I'll be starting in January and moving out to Seattle then. I know this is the Amazon Interview thread, but very happy to hear any suggestions/tips/places to live/etc.

As for Amazon, I really have zero complaints and was extremely pleased with how everything was handled and everyone I dealt with couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. Fortunately, I've already basically done the job, so I know what to expect re: travel, work/life balance, etc. No illusions.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 20,490 times
Congrats Jefferson!

Hey a question about after year 2- how are bonuses earned and paid? The signing bonuses are paid out monthly over the two years, but what happens in year 3?

Old 11-29-2014, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 20,490 times
Congrats Jefferson!

Hey a question about after year 2- how are bonuses earned and paid? The signing bonuses are paid out monthly over the two years, but what happens in year 3?

Old 11-30-2014, 12:55 PM

338 posts, read 847,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju14 View Post
Congrats Jefferson!

For my husband at least, most bonuses after year 2 are paid out via RSU's. His raises have all been on the paycheck, but I've heard that that can also shift to RSU's after a while.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:35 PM

for the first 2 years, you can get a cash bonus in addition to your base pay and RSU. this is primarily because of the RSU vesting schedule (since most of your stock initial stock grant vests in years 3 and 4).

after 2 years, you no longer get cash bonuses and only get base pay and RSU since your stock is vesting pretty often and at good amounts at this point.

...YMMV for example sales people might have a different structure, etc.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,572 times
Thanks! RVD is correct, at least for me. Year 1 bonus is in cash, year 2 bonus is prorated over 12 months. Stock vests partially per year (15-20% per) for 4 years, after which it's vested 100%. Also, fyi, Amazon pays monthly, which is not a big deal for me - I lived in England the past 2 years and that's how they pay over there - but for some people could be an issue. (There were many times people would complain about being "skint" - broke - the last week of the month.)

Again, this is my situation, which I'm very happy with, not sure if it's the same for everyone.

Also...I know this is for another thread, but I'm looking at Ballard as an area to live, have researched several apartments (Urbana, Koi, Cadence, Amli, Leva) if anyone has any comments/recommendations. Apparently there are many Amazon employees in the area and it's easy to get to work by bus. (I'll have a car but don't plan to use it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
for the first 2 years, you can get a cash bonus in addition to your base pay and RSU. this is primarily because of the RSU vesting schedule (since most of your stock initial stock grant vests in years 3 and 4).

after 2 years, you no longer get cash bonuses and only get base pay and RSU since your stock is vesting pretty often and at good amounts at this point.

...YMMV for example sales people might have a different structure, etc.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:32 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,536 times
Hello everyone,
Just wondering wow much the RSU really worth over the 4 years of vesting period? A friend of mine called me yesterday and he was very excited to get an offer from Amazon. The base salary looks to me very very low but as like everyone mentioned he got good sign-up bonus and around 60K RSU (I'm not sure whether he said 60K RSU or 60RSU). So I'm wondering, how much would be his total package for 4 years?

Say, if AMZN share price remains at $300 during his vesting period, so does it mean he will get $18,000 cash after vesting period? Or its something different?

Based on Glassdoor data, I am calculating the total package (for 4 years) like this:

Base: 4 * $100K = $400K
Signon Bonus: $40,000
RSU: $18,000 (if my above assumption is correct)
Total after 4 years = $460K around

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:51 PM

a few quick comments without knowing any specifics:

1) bonus is usually paid for the first 2 years so his offer may have 1st year bonus and 2nd year bonus broken out. it might be $40k/year but usually the 2nd year is a little less. it might total $40k like you have it and it's something like $25k the first year and $15k the second year.

2) 60 RSU sounds kind of low for 4 years. usually the RSU portion is closer to 60 RSU per year (averaged out, not how vesting works) so 240 RSU over 4 years. if it really is 60 RSU over 4 years, then your calc is correct.

3) you sound fairly bright so maybe you should have your friend actually show you his/her offer letter to double check the numbers. in his excitement, the numbers quoted over the phone might be a little off.

4) overall someone getting a base of $100k usually gets more stock so total comp over 4 years would be higher. if the total comp target is $115k/year (which is how your calculations come up), usually the base would be lower (like $90k or something like that) and the rest would be made up from stock and bonus.

just quick thoughts...but in any case, amazon on your resume carries well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area