Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:04 PM

415 posts, read 490,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
>>> Cross burnings in the lawns have also been greatly reduced over the last 10 years too....

Last time I heard of a cross burning in Seattle, it was a bunch of naive Progressive Bourgeois-Bohemians trying a dazzling new way to express their Atheism-Pride. Fortunately they have a Black friend who helpfully told them that some people might get the wrong idea if they were to make a habit of it. Having a Black friend is definitely SWPL, Something White People Like. Since Blacks may be relatively scarce in everyday life for many Seattle Whites, our newcomer from Chicago can hope for a red-carpet reception.

Welcome to Seattle!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 05:03 PM

230 posts, read 258,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder4life View Post
To the OP, I'm a black professional male born and raised in Seattle and as a year ago moved to Maryland. First of all I have to shed light on the situation, because I feel your getting bogus information. You will most likely not find professional black women in Seattle. The demographic is not there at all, it's a needle in a haystack. The ones you do find, usually fit in 2 categories. Either extremely ghetto (and Seattle doesn't even have a "ghetto"), or really whitewashed. My problem with Seattle and women specially black women was, there's nothing in between as far as the extreme cases of personalities.

It's going to be extremely hard for you to find a educated black women who has her stuff together, and given you live on the Eastside..lol.. not going to happen. Many tend to say Seattle is diverse but I disagree, it's basically a ton of white people and a huge asian population on the rise. Sprinkle in east indian IT workers, and there you have it! I truly miss Seattle, I have a wide range of friends from various backgrounds and enjoy the outdoors. But between a black male looking for a black female, you've come to the wrong place. I'd say enjoy it, travel down to L.A, The Bay, or check out Vancouver for some real international flavor.

But just in case your a hunter and enjoy the chase as I was, check out the usual places in Belltown, Capitol Hill I suppose, P.Square (very hit or miss), Eastside has a few places but it's a huge joke and zero culture.
How is it for black males and white women?

Old 10-13-2016, 11:54 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
I can't believe this old thread is still getting bumped. Well I moved from Seattle in 2013 so this no longer applies to me anymore. However I will say my year in Seattle is this...

Dating in Seattle is horrible for a professional and educated black man. There are no 2 ways about it. When you're black and move to Seattle, you're going to likely be on the East side, or some upper scale neighborhood. That's problem number 1, because you're immediately around a bunch of insular whites and asians who have no interest in dating black men.

Interracial dating for black men really only comes alive when you travel to South King county and even further south than that. You'll also find more black women. However what you'll find is low quality and ghetto in these areas, which are not going to be a great fit for a professional black man. Unless you want to do the occasional slumming, not the best long term plans.

With that said, you could just get lucky. But for the most part, the environment isn't the most fertile for professional black men. In Bellevue occassionally I'd meet Canadian women who would be in town. They tend to come down a lot. They're pretty cool women. I would suggest you take your chances in Canada honestly if you're going to be in Seattle.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:41 AM

Thanks for letting me know. what do you know about portland?

Old 10-15-2016, 12:55 PM

143 posts, read 334,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG16 View Post
Damn, I appreciate your candor and I think you saved me from making a big mistake becasue I was looking to move to Seattle in March.

I love the pacific NW (Seattle, Portland and Vancouver), so I think I'll look into Vancouver instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
Thanks for letting me know. what do you know about portland?

Do Portland, avoid Seattle like the plague. You'll regret it.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:04 PM

16 posts, read 16,544 times
So, I've been dancing in and out of this thread for the last few days reluctant to respond. To be frank, I find the whole thing quite embarrassing. See, I'm a "professional" black dude in his early 30's, from Chicago but currently live in Seattle. A lucrative job offer brought me here. My hometown's bad union deals compounded with the well documented social ills made the decision easy. Financially, its worked out great. But you simply don't move to Seattle (or any place for that matter) looking for love. Personal success should be first and everything else should fall in line.

With that being said, there are some social quirks. See my 'Insights in Seattle' thread for more detail. If you have a preference for white women, it should easily work out for you. Plenty of biracial people (Black dad/White mom), (White dad/Asian mom) so there's proof of that. I'm personally an equal opportunity dater. If I find you attractive and we make each other laugh, that's usually all it takes. Naturally, I've always been more attracted to black American women. There's not a lot of them here but the ones I do find are on average very attractive. Props Seattle! Lots of Ethiopians (beautiful women btw) but we're too culturally dissimilar for me to try.

But to reiterate, dating should not be your primary concern. You won't have a problem if your finances are intact and the usual ingredients (personality and swagger).

Old 10-15-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrg187 View Post
So, I've been dancing in and out of this thread for the last few days reluctant to respond. To be frank, I find the whole thing quite embarrassing. See, I'm a "professional" black dude in his early 30's, from Chicago but currently live in Seattle. A lucrative job offer brought me here. My hometown's bad union deals compounded with the well documented social ills made the decision easy. Financially, its worked out great. But you simply don't move to Seattle (or any place for that matter) looking for love. Personal success should be first and everything else should fall in line.

With that being said, there are some social quirks. See my 'Insights in Seattle' thread for more detail. If you have a preference for white women, it should easily work out for you. Plenty of biracial people (Black dad/White mom), (White dad/Asian mom) so there's proof of that. I'm personally an equal opportunity dater. If I find you attractive and we make each other laugh, that's usually all it takes. Naturally, I've always been more attracted to black American women. There's not a lot of them here but the ones I do find are on average very attractive. Props Seattle! Lots of Ethiopians (beautiful women btw) but we're too culturally dissimilar for me to try.

But to reiterate, dating should not be your primary concern. You won't have a problem if your finances are intact and the usual ingredients (personality and swagger).
point taken....SIR

Old 10-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1585 View Post
Do Portland, avoid Seattle like the plague. You'll regret it.
ok then

Old 10-15-2016, 06:20 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,542 times
My experience as a black man in Seattle was somewhat different. Granted, I was just visiting for a three day weekend, nonetheless, it was overall enjoyable and welcoming when it came to black men wanting to date outside their race.

I actually met a white girl while in Seattle at a cafe and we had chemistry almost immediately. We're still in contact and talk somewhat often. I also met an Asian girl from Vancouver who I'm planning to visit within a month. As for other interracial couples featuring black men, the majority of black men who I saw were with non-black women and vice-versa. Granted one of the things that may have made it easier for me was the vibe that I give off is one of being "whitewashed". And TBH, blacks who are considered "whitewashed" might fit in better in places like the Pacific NW than most other blacks.

Not to say that there aren't some covert racists, limousine liberals, and hipsters who like anyone who isn't black *cough* Capitol Hill *cough*. But outside the millennial regressive left scenes, I felt like it was pretty open in the racial aspect. Definitely much more racially liberal than where I'm from, Washington DC...and the East Coast in general.

But given my demeanor and "swag"...or lack thereof, YMMV. But overall, I would assume than Vancouver beats Seattle in the IR department for black men due to the obvious reasons, lol.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
My experience as a black man in Seattle was somewhat different. Granted, I was just visiting for a three day weekend, nonetheless, it was overall enjoyable and welcoming when it came to black men wanting to date outside their race.

I actually met a white girl while in Seattle at a cafe and we had chemistry almost immediately. We're still in contact and talk somewhat often. I also met an Asian girl from Vancouver who I'm planning to visit within a month. As for other interracial couples featuring black men, the majority of black men who I saw were with non-black women and vice-versa. Granted one of the things that may have made it easier for me was the vibe that I give off is one of being "whitewashed". And TBH, blacks who are considered "whitewashed" might fit in better in places like the Pacific NW than most other blacks.

Not to say that there aren't some covert racists, limousine liberals, and hipsters who like anyone who isn't black *cough* Capitol Hill *cough*. But outside the millennial regressive left scenes, I felt like it was pretty open in the racial aspect. Definitely much more racially liberal than where I'm from, Washington DC...and the East Coast in general.

But given my demeanor and "swag"...or lack thereof, YMMV. But overall, I would assume than Vancouver beats Seattle in the IR department for black men due to the obvious reasons, lol.
You met more women in 3 days than many Seattle men meet in a year, lol! You should give workshops. But it's like I keep saying: having a friendly vibe and saying hello is often all it takes to stand out and get a response among so many introverted and reserved men.

There used to be a significant African contingent in Seattle. Those guys used to clean up with white women, if they were into that. I think the "exotic" factor worked in their favor. These were university students, mainly (the guys).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area