Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 PM

102 posts, read 275,054 times

Advertisements

How, exactly, is it "rated" in the first place?

I think that if you can't appreciate at least some beauty around you in the average day, you need to do some re-evaluating.

Objectively, how can a city bordered by ocean and mountains not be beautiful? I suspect that anyone who says it isn't hasn't lived somewhere truly bad. It would be a privileged opinion to say there's no beauty in a place like this.

Everyday, I drive one road int eh neighbourhood that has a view of downtown Seattle, downtown Bellevue and Lake Washington in the middle, just all spread out in front of me. If you can't find the beauty in that, well, that's very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
When I'm in certain neighborhoods overlooking the Sound or the lake or seeing downtown in the distance, I am awed by the beauty. When I'm in downtown Seattle, and not in a place where I can see the water and mountains, I think "Meh."
DT Seattle does have some very cool old buildings, but a lot of the newer buildings either look like newer big buildings you'd find in any large city, or they're unique but ugly( Hello, EMP.)
Maybe downtown Seattle's beauty is overrated, but it's beautiful when you're looking at water or mountains from it.
Still, looking at DT Seattle from Hamilton Viewpoint in West Seattle is astounding, or from Kerry Park in Queen Anne, or from Somerset. I guess I'm just an old fuddy dud, and preferred some of the older buildings before they were torn down to make room for modern monstrosities.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,845,107 times
That's one of the things that makes Seattle beautiful in comparison to most cities - the natural beauty that you can see from the city. As tour operators are fond of saying, you can see two national parks from Seattle. Quite the backdrop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Still, looking at DT Seattle from Hamilton Viewpoint in West Seattle is astounding, or from Kerry Park in Queen Anne, or from Somerset. I guess I'm just an old fuddy dud, and preferred some of the older buildings before they were torn down to make room for modern monstrosities.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:45 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,229 times
Actually wouldn't that be 3 national parks? Olympic, Rainier, and North Cascades? The north cascades views aren't as prominent but technically they can be seen. Maybe not from downtown at street level.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 PM

710 posts, read 1,398,121 times
The beauty of Seattle also depends on where you are comparing it too. Like anywhere, there are always places people think are more beautiful. However, to me, Seattle is the most beautiful place that I've lived so far (including Hawai'i). But then again, it's a different kind of beautiful than many of those places too. I still don't see how anyone can find Seattle ugly by any means though.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
One of Seattle's nice features are those woody hills. I remember the hills of Seattle from my visit in the early 60's. It was my dominant impression. I had lived in San Fan in 1955, so I recognized there was a similarity.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM

100 posts, read 242,880 times
Seattle's beauty rivals that of any Swiss city and I think Swiss cities are at the top when it comes to beautiful urban areas. Tokyo I think could be considered a rivalry with a backdrop of Mt Fuji and the water. However, Tokyo, itself, is just so urban and doesn't have the natural setting embedded into the city as Seattle. I don't know if Seattle is "THE MOST BEAUTIFUL", but it certainly at the top of list of beautiful cities in the world. The old buildings obviously give European cities an edge on beauty, but I think the modern architecture embedded in nature is what gives Seattle a unique look and feel all on its own.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,554 times
It might not be the most beautiful but Seattle is definitely the most delusional city.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,903 times
The prettiest city I have ever been to is Istanbul, but I think Seattle's skyline is breathtaking. There is something about blue water next to a big city that is just beautiful.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 PM

233 posts, read 752,620 times
Seattle is a very beautiful city. Mountains to the west, east and south, water all over the place and hills hills hills. Architecturally no slouch either and with a nice stock of older heritage buildings to boot.
Portland has some great old buildings downtown , but the Willamette river doesn't really compare to the sound and all of our lakes. Vancouver is beautifull too with a great waterfront but not nearly the amount of water throughout the city and tall hills that Seattle has nor the diversity in architecture.
I love coming into town from I-90 when the mountains open up and suddenly you enter Issaquah with Lake Sammamish visible to the right. Next over the water to Mercer Island (you are literally in a neighborhood on an island in the middle of a giant lake) and through a tunnel that then opens up to Lake Washington. You see the skyline in the distance but still a little far off. Gliding over the water on the floating bridge you glance to your left to see Mt. Rainier. I mean, seriously. You're in a major American city and you are speeding along the water like a boat with a 14,000 ft snow covered volcano hovering there heading towards another huge hill with houses tumbling down it and then through a carved tunnel entrance that says-SEATTLE PORTAL TO THE PACIFIC. Under the hill and through the tunnel you go to then pop out on the other side and there's the skyline with the Columbia Center standing guard towering over the others and the sparkling waters of the sound and the lofty peaks of the snow covered Olympics behind. I'm sorry but it's just stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area