Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 PM

336 posts, read 575,710 times

Advertisements

Ya, Seattle has a very beautiful setting. Went to visit my son in July. He said we had to go to Portland because it was so cool, blah!!!!!! Seattle is the best. Coming from the midwest, you really have to appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times
Some cities are more interesting architecturally but overall it's by far one of the most beautiful imo.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,647 times
I'm actually going to Seattle tomorrow. Maybe I'll change my mind upon seeing it again.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:48 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,924,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I'm actually going to Seattle tomorrow. Maybe I'll change my mind upon seeing it again.
Frankly, my dear, ...

Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Frankly, my dear, ...
Can't rep you again, so

Old 08-09-2017, 02:05 PM

440 posts, read 517,876 times
Default Most Beautiful City in U.S.

I lived in downtown Seattle for a year several years ago and while the noise from the Alaskan Way Viaduct was a nightmare that should have never been built as it blocked off views of the water and was a source of traffic noise throughout the downtown area, the City of Seattle can't be beat for natural beauty and it's nice to see it's citizens working to make it even more beautiful by having that eyesore of a highway torn down.

If all you see of Seattle is from a motor vehicle window, then I feel really sorry for you that you feel the beauty of a city is based on only what buildings and roadways you can see riding by them encapsulated behind a motor engine.

Where else in the United States can you enjoy a view in a city such as that of the snowcapped Mt. Rainer? Have you ever walked into Volunteer Park and looked at the view of the city from that locale or gazed at it from up on Queen Anne Hill? Just stunning.

Take the opportunity to go up in the Space Needle to enjoy the views on a clear day and then try to convince me that any other city in the U.S. is so beautifully situated into it's natural surroundings.

A friend once strolled with me during the crisp Fall weather just a block over from Volunteer Park to point out the beautiful view down below of Lake Washington with the changing colors of the trees. What other city in the U.S. sits beside such a large, beautiful lake with such beautifully landscaped shores with lovely homes and trees rising on the hills above the lake.

Take a walk in Capital Hill on a sunny day and look for the view I enjoyed of the Cascade Mountain range to the east and the Olympics to the west. What other city in the U.S. has a view of two mountain ranges on each side of it?

My favorite memory of Seattle is walking through a quite neighborhood east of the business district in Capital Hill in the Spring and discovering a street lined with pink flowering trees that a gentle breeze was scattering petals off of onto the street, sidewalks and well kept landscaped yards. It was like a serene scene out of a romantic movie only it was better as I experienced it in real life in Seattle.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:16 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,201,476 times
Severely overrated, serious

Old 08-09-2017, 03:14 PM

305 posts, read 450,254 times
For all of the natural beauty that surrounds Seattle, the city itself seriously lacks "green space". Greenlake Park is the only real example of green space within the city, and it was unfortunately overdeveloped almost up to the water-line (only enough surrounding land for a single narrow running/walking path and about 50' of frontage until you are back on the street). Many of the other larger parks are similar strips of largely unusable land that aren't wide enough for a football field (Myrtle Edwards Park, Magnolia Park, Madison Park, etc.) Kerry Park is a good example of a typical over-hyped Seattle park - great views, but no larger than a single-home lot.

Last edited by DP79; 08-09-2017 at 03:23 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 03:35 PM

75 posts, read 89,840 times
Seattle's beauty is not overrated because Seattle might be the most beautiful city in the world. However, I would say that judging a city by its beauty is very overrated. A city being affordable, having less traffic, and having year-round good weather is more important to me than beauty. So like most things, it just depends on how you look at it.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
I lived in downtown Seattle for a year several years ago and while the noise from the Alaskan Way Viaduct was a nightmare that should have never been built as it blocked off views of the water and was a source of traffic noise throughout the downtown area, the City of Seattle can't be beat for natural beauty and it's nice to see it's citizens working to make it even more beautiful by having that eyesore of a highway torn down.

If all you see of Seattle is from a motor vehicle window, then I feel really sorry for you that you feel the beauty of a city is based on only what buildings and roadways you can see riding by them encapsulated behind a motor engine.

Where else in the United States can you enjoy a view in a city such as that of the snowcapped Mt. Rainer? Have you ever walked into Volunteer Park and looked at the view of the city from that locale or gazed at it from up on Queen Anne Hill? Just stunning.

Take the opportunity to go up in the Space Needle to enjoy the views on a clear day and then try to convince me that any other city in the U.S. is so beautifully situated into it's natural surroundings.

A friend once strolled with me during the crisp Fall weather just a block over from Volunteer Park to point out the beautiful view down below of Lake Washington with the changing colors of the trees. What other city in the U.S. sits beside such a large, beautiful lake with such beautifully landscaped shores with lovely homes and trees rising on the hills above the lake.

Take a walk in Capital Hill on a sunny day and look for the view I enjoyed of the Cascade Mountain range to the east and the Olympics to the west. What other city in the U.S. has a view of two mountain ranges on each side of it?

My favorite memory of Seattle is walking through a quite neighborhood east of the business district in Capital Hill in the Spring and discovering a street lined with pink flowering trees that a gentle breeze was scattering petals off of onto the street, sidewalks and well kept landscaped yards. It was like a serene scene out of a romantic movie only it was better as I experienced it in real life in Seattle.

I think that HotAndHumid captured the essence of Seattle's beauty very, very well. I feel no need to jump in on the parade of people who recognize Seattle's beauty. It is very obvious to me - even with the months and months of grey skies and drizzle. I grew up in Edmonds and experienced Seattle's beauty again and again. Gorgeous city - the beauty of Seattle is unbeatable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area