Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:50 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times

Advertisements

This thread will add fuel to the resentment of many a Californian that is appaled that those hicks in lower Alaska would even dare disparage the Golden State. I mean, c'mon, this is fu**ing California we are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 12:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
Well, maybe once the Californians push all the natives out, I'll actually enjoy living here. Certainly the people will be more pleasant.

V. =)

Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,554 times
"Hicks in lower Alaska" is most likely the last thing on the minds of most Californians. We're too busy thinking about ourselves. = )

Old 10-12-2007, 12:04 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,280 times
I think the high density housing is great. Look at these pictures of the Issaquah Highlands. Here there are none of those tall dark Douglas Fir trees, only bright trees that are small and don't block the sunlight. Many parts of Issaquah Highlands are paved with concrete. The area is self contained and has its own parks and shops and restaurants. There are a couple of "urban villages" It reminds me alot of San Jose up here in the foothills. Everything is new and sunny and clean. It's not just a bunch of white people either, there's alot of Asians and Indians too. Most people are not locals. You can tell by the way they dress and their demeanor they are not from Washington and that's good. There's more development on the way. I see the planning commission meetings on cable. I praise the Eastside for not being shortsighted and letting the developments be big instead of small. I love how the Seattle area is growing. We're becoming a real powerhouse. It's about time.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:52 AM

Actually fuerza.....your pics kinda depress me. Reminds me of Rancho Cucamonga. One of the reasons I'd be moving to WA is to get away from the no yard concrete jungle. I guess I'll be steering clear of this area. I don't mind density, but I do mind the cookie-cutter Craftsmanesque things they are building now. They just don't seem to have any character...in my opinion.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:02 PM

223 posts, read 1,275,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
I think the high density housing is great. Look at these pictures of the Issaquah Highlands. Here there are none of those tall dark Douglas Fir trees, only bright trees that are small and don't block the sunlight. Many parts of Issaquah Highlands are paved with concrete. The area is self contained and has its own parks and shops and restaurants. There are a couple of "urban villages" It reminds me alot of San Jose up here in the foothills. Everything is new and sunny and clean. It's not just a bunch of white people either, there's alot of Asians and Indians too. Most people are not locals. You can tell by the way they dress and their demeanor they are not from Washington and that's good. There's more development on the way. I see the planning commission meetings on cable. I praise the Eastside for not being shortsighted and letting the developments be big instead of small. I love how the Seattle area is growing. We're becoming a real powerhouse. It's about time.

This is a perfect illustration of everything that is going wrong with the Seattle area, growth-wise.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:10 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
I was kind of thinking that that post was made tongue-in-cheek? Frueza can't be serious, no?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:19 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
I'm from So Cal (and No Cal) too and those pictures remind me of Rancho Cucamonga TOO!! ( I lived there right as it was exploding)

I miss California - but then again I don't. Cuz the only thing I really miss are 1) being warm 2) my family

Otherwise I like WA

Old 10-12-2007, 01:07 PM

297 posts, read 1,035,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I was kind of thinking that that post was made tongue-in-cheek? Frueza can't be serious, no?
I actually was being serious, Jenbar. I grew up on the Eastside and I'm glad to see the influx of money and educated worldly residents. I went to college in the Bay Area and would really like to see Seattle become like the Bay Area was 10 years ago. I really enjoy the fast paced lifestyle Seattle offers these days, but then again I'm a young guy. I can see why the older folks are bailing.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
I actually was being serious, Jenbar. I grew up on the Eastside and I'm glad to see the influx of money and educated worldly residents. I went to college in the Bay Area and would really like to see Seattle become like the Bay Area was 10 years ago. I really enjoy the fast paced lifestyle Seattle offers these days, but then again I'm a young guy. I can see why the older folks are bailing.

In my mind there is a HUGE difference between established neighborhoods of Victorian row houses (San Fran) versus cookiecutter developments. I know there is a demand for these PUDS, otherwise they wouldn't be selling...but I don't really think the trend is a positive one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area