Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 PM

85 posts, read 195,548 times

Advertisements

i read that Klahanie is unincorporated Issaquah. What does that mean ?

how do schools here compare to those in Issaquah highlands ? I did read the schooldigger numbers, but I am looking for a more gut feel demographics/culture level.

My goal is to find a good place to raise my kid and hunker down for the next two decades. Realistic ? probably not. But you've got to start somewhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
Klahanie is in unincorporated King County. for post office purposes, it has an Issaquah address. What that means is that no city provides the servces to Klahanie, that services are provided by the county. There's a fire district that provides fire protection, King County Sheriff provides the policing, and King County roads fills the potholes. The problem is that the county has these areas to provide services to that aren't near each other, and they don't have the authority to raise extra money like cities do. So potholes take longer to get fixed. Klahanie had a vote about eight years ago whether to join Issaquah or not, and to assume the debts like other Issaquah residents have. They voted to join Issaquah, but not to assume the debts. So then the Issaquah city council said no. It may appear on the ballot again soon, possibly as early as this November.
I'd say in general, Klahanie is more affluent than IH. Homes are older, with larger lot sizes. I'd venture a guess that most people would prefer to live in Klahanie than IH, just because it's a long established, nice neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,556 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I agree, Klahanie was still being built when we moved here in 1993 and we considered it before deciding on Sammamish. Klahanie has a more open, spread out feel with parks, trails, community swimming pools, and larger lots. Being unincorporated actually saves you tax money, and may be worth the minor inconvenience of delays in some services.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,191 times
There is no difference in the schools between Klahanie and IH. All very high performing Issaquah Schools. You will be fine in either. The neighborhoods however are a very different feel. IH has an urban feel and Klahanie a little more open space, more kid friendly trail system...more spread out. Both are great neighborhoods!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,191 times
You mention Klahanie Sahalee and I just want to be clear that Sahalee is an entirely different neighborhood located in North Sammamish and it is more expensive (golf course community). Matriculates to Lake Washington schools and is also a great neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,666,260 times
Depending on where you live in Issaquah Highlands, if you have a full-time kindergartener, they maybe sent to Challenger Elementary in Klahanie for the year (as is the case with me), or they might go to Endeavor Elementary. From my understanding most of Challenger students will eventually find their way to Skyline High, which if you check the other thread about Issaquah schools bouncing around CD these past couple days, is supposedly the "better" of the three Issaquah high schools. We just had redistricting up here (IH), so if you purchase one of the newer homes at the bottom of the hill (near the new retail) your child will not go to Grand Ridge, but will be bussed to another school (Clark Elementary???).

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 PM

85 posts, read 195,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Depending on where you live in Issaquah Highlands, if you have a full-time kindergartener, they maybe sent to Challenger Elementary in Klahanie for the year (as is the case with me), or they might go to Endeavor Elementary. From my understanding most of Challenger students will eventually find their way to Skyline High, which if you check the other thread about Issaquah schools bouncing around CD these past couple days, is supposedly the "better" of the three Issaquah high schools. We just had redistricting up here (IH), so if you purchase one of the newer homes at the bottom of the hill (near the new retail) your child will not go to Grand Ridge, but will be bussed to another school (Clark Elementary???).
so klahaie is not Issaquah school district ? which school district doool ?es challenger belong to ?

As for Sahalee, if its LWSD, would we be able to apply for a variance to another school in the district fr say middle school ?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha77 View Post
so klahaie is not Issaquah school district ? which school district doool ?es challenger belong to ?

As for Sahalee, if its LWSD, would we be able to apply for a variance to another school in the district fr say middle school ?
Klahanie is in the Issaquah school district, and Challenger is just a different school within the Issaquah district.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 PM

11 posts, read 21,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Klahanie is in unincorporated King County. for post office purposes, it has an Issaquah address. What that means is that no city provides the servces to Klahanie, that services are provided by the county. There's a fire district that provides fire protection, King County Sheriff provides the policing, and King County roads fills the potholes. The problem is that the county has these areas to provide services to that aren't near each other, and they don't have the authority to raise extra money like cities do. So potholes take longer to get fixed. Klahanie had a vote about eight years ago whether to join Issaquah or not, and to assume the debts like other Issaquah residents have. They voted to join Issaquah, but not to assume the debts. So then the Issaquah city council said no. It may appear on the ballot again soon, possibly as early as this November.
I'd say in general, Klahanie is more affluent than IH. Homes are older, with larger lot sizes. I'd venture a guess that most people would prefer to live in Klahanie than IH, just because it's a long established, nice neighborhood.
A LOT of people perfer IH to Klahanie. This is well reflected in the price.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha77 View Post
You could, heck you can go to the next school district as long as they have space. But this would put you in a position of being responsible for your child's transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area