Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Some people, particularly up in these parts, cannot resist the insatiable urge to state their opinion, rather than keep it to themselves; even when it's just to swoop in to the defense of Seattle. I find the natives are very defensive and have a "then you don't deserve" to live here-type attitude. Odd. Oh well.

Some of us are leaving, very soon, but in the meantime we need to vent, and it helps others get a feel for moving to Seattle from a transplant's perspective who didn't enjoy it here at all.
Odd? Do you ever venture into the other CD forums? Natives everywhere defend where they live and have that same attitude. Collectively as a nation we have that attitude. It's called pride, patriotism. Where is this place where the people aren't like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 AM

257 posts, read 609,028 times
Zunshine, notice my attitude now that I am in the sun compared to previous posts... SERIOUSLY. I woke up to a bright sunrise today and I thought, wow, that is so different/nice! My Mom said yesterday as well that if my sister didn't live in Washington state she wouldn't come back there, she is affected by SAD too (but she doesn't know it.) I also am feeling, and thought this while there, that 20s and bright sun to me felt warmer than 40s and overcast even when not drizzly.

The SAD lamps also make me feel agitated somewhat, especially compared to real sun. But for me it was better than feeling depressed and demotivated, becoming a couch potato grouch. At least I had some energy to do daily tasks. Without it, it was not good, to say the least.

The cost of living in Seattle bothers me too. I was thinking if everything was perfect (for me) there OK, but why pay a lot for someplace I have to sit by lamps, take supplements and not feel good for most of the year?

If people aren't affected by the grey, great for them, they can live where they want. I just know what works for me and that doesn't.

I really don't want to go back. REALLY. Maybe I will keep traveling until the end of June and then go back? Zunshine, you're right, it was so bad that even if it's nice there when I return (do I have to? LOL) I know now that I won't get convinced to stay. I don't like the Jekyll and Hyde I become. The main danger now is if I stay too long and get stuck by the SAD again. It makes me indecisive, caught in the "I feel stuck" syndrome, wishy washy, ick.

And as for the other thread people have mentioned on lack of single women in Seattle, didn't read it all, but I guess another eligible single woman is leaving Seattle LOL.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunshine View Post
I think for me the difference in my mood was very pronounced, I only needed a week in a sunny place to realize what I was missing, specially since I went in March, I felt like a completely different person like those sneakers commercials but in reverse That is why I am moving, I am miserable and making everyone around me miserable, people don't deserve that. You can notice when it is sunny how people flock all the parks and streets. You have to examine yourself when we have a sunny day after several cloudy days in a row, how do you feel? Of course if I am indoors I don't feel the full effect of the sun, but just looking at it makes me feel better. Unfortunately here in America we have states with every extreme weather there is, I would not recommend switching to a radically different place like FL or AZ, because you will probably get tired of that too. But to be honest, I lived in Houston which is like hell but I just felt annoyed, disgusted by the bugs but I didn't feel as depressed and hopeless as I felt here. I wouldn't go back there but there are milder places. I will move to CA, but would also consider CO, even NM. I lived in ABQ and even though it felt very hot during the summer, and very cold during winters, I think it is quite bearable compared to the winters here... and fall and spring hehehe
Thanks for the answer, love to hear from others who've been through this. And yes now that we haven't had any snow for 3 days in a row, and its been warm I am sooooo much happier and less miserable. Last night we walked out of the restaurant and its automatic to tense up for the cold bracing wind. Then I realized it was 50 degrees out, I didn't need to brace for anything. It was wonderful.

We've got a little bit of snow left in our forecast but its mostly in the evenings, during the days its going to be 55-70!!!!! Everyone is smiling and happy again. I told my husband never again are we going all winter with no vaca. Even if I have to go without him we are getting out of here in February and April.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Some people, particularly up in these parts, cannot resist the insatiable urge to state their opinion, rather than keep it to themselves; even when it's just to swoop in to the defense of Seattle. I find the natives are very defensive and have a "then you don't deserve" to live here-type attitude. Odd. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Odd? Do you ever venture into the other CD forums? Natives everywhere defend where they live and have that same attitude. Collectively as a nation we have that attitude. It's called pride, patriotism. Where is this place where the people aren't like that?
Actually, it is called Protectionism, worked GREAT for the steel and auto industries, and is working great in the transformation of the Left coast (AK excluded OF course, ...).

I usually only see this shallow behavior in OR forum, but it tends to be creeping north. Only Matter of time and the 'winning-of-souls' to follow the mainstream, 'group-think' rather than think for themselves and ACCEPT diversity in their Midst

Living with SAD or any other form of depression is not to be taken lightly, tho in USA, it is... So SAD.

Let the 'higher beings in 'Freezeville' have their 'insult' party, and move on. Strength will come on the other side.

Best wishes on your relocation, make it as soon as reasonable (tho summer is only a couple more months away, and THIS week you get a glimspe, of what others see 360 days / yr ) SUN

Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 AM

257 posts, read 609,028 times
Stealthrabbit, thanks, but what is funny is I actually had to go out of town this week now that the sun is there. I was driving across country though, and was in sun for three straight days, all day. I'm in the Midwest now, tired from long days of driving, but it's a different type of tired than the SAD.

I'm looking at temporary leases and subleases in Denver. I'm torn between just going there straight away and going back to Seattle first. I think in either case before I move all my stuff (again) I may get a place for a few months to make sure I like it there first, check out neghborhoods/housing market, start looking for jobs. I've visited before a few times but max for a week. I don't think my sister and her husband would mind storing m stuff at their place a bit longer.

I am also going to take a trip to Albuquerque and Minneapolis to check things out there. Sacramento is a distant contender but I've lived there before and don't feel the need to go back. Minneapolis I think would be too cold in the winter and yet has the hot, humid summers I was trying to get away from.

I'm starting to think its not so much where you live at this point, "as long as you have your health," as I've heard older people say. It's true. SAD is a health condition, and it is "sad" I can't live near Seattle/my sister because if it. My Dad had cancer for 3 1/2 years and lived life to the fullest before he died, life is too short to not feel good and enjoy the experience here. SAD, or any kind of depression can take that enjoyment away. Didn't know how bad until I went through it.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 AM

326 posts, read 529,525 times
I find it interesting that Vancouver, BC has the reputation as one of the most liveable cities in the world by most estimations.

According to a recent thread on the Vancouver forum, Vancouver on average gets less sunlight, more rain, and colder temperatures than Seattle but it doesn't seem to get the same press as Seattle regarding the weather.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,910 times
Quote:
I'm looking at temporary leases and subleases in Denver. I'm torn between just going there straight away and going back to Seattle first. I think in either case before I move all my stuff (again) I may get a place for a few months to make sure I like it there first, check out neghborhoods/housing market, start looking for jobs. I've visited before a few times but max for a week. I don't think my sister and her husband would mind storing m stuff at their place a bit longer.
Consider checking out Boulder as well. It's closer to the mountains, so you get a little more in the way of evergreens - it doesn't seem quite as brown as Denver gets. The hiking trails start practically at the edge of town, and there is also the Boulder reservoir which offers some lovely water recreation. There are a number of employers there, and in nearby Longmont, and also a large college that offers quite a bit in the way of opportunity. Even if the opportunities are better in Denver - it's worth visiting.

Quite frankly with each post you sound more miserable. If a change in scenery is what you need, then so be it. I've lived here long enough to see plenty of people who truly can't cope with the lack of light, and I'm sorry to say, but they generally don't seem to get better if they try to stick it out.

A trial run in a new place seems like a great step if you have the means to do so.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM

176 posts, read 348,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
I find it interesting that Vancouver, BC has the reputation as one of the most liveable cities in the world by most estimations.

According to a recent thread on the Vancouver forum, Vancouver on average gets less sunlight, more rain, and colder temperatures than Seattle but it doesn't seem to get the same press as Seattle regarding the weather.
I dont understand why Seattle is singled out either. There are some famous European cities that get around the same amount of sunlight as Seattle a year if not less. Yet Seattle is still singled out as the city of rain and gloom.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:06 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
I dont understand why Seattle is singled out either. There are some famous European cities that get around the same amount of sunlight as Seattle a year if not less. Yet Seattle is still singled out as the city of rain and gloom.
I say this often. If Seattle were in most of Europe north of the alps, it wouldn't have its reputation. It would just be another city. Frame of mind is everything. In America people have a choice to move to warmer and sunnier places with ease. It makes you less tolerant of weather hardship. People elsewhere just learn to suck it up and deal with it without falling apart.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 AM

176 posts, read 348,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I say this often. If Seattle were in most of Europe north of the alps, it wouldn't have its reputation. It would just be another city. Frame of mind is everything. In America people have a choice to move to warmer and sunnier places with ease. It makes you less tolerant of weather hardship. People elsewhere just learn to suck it up and deal with it without falling apart.
Yes and unfortunatley most people tend to crowd to the sunnier places jacking up living costs and ruining the environment. *cough* California *cough*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area