Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 12:55 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,482,676 times

Advertisements

For the last time re: "brown bag" and "citizen" ...

The memo came from the Office of Civil Rights. The mayor most likely never saw it as the memo was an internal communique within that office, which is not only separate from the Mayor's Office but predates the current mayor by almost two decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 AM

5 posts, read 7,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post

The memo came from the Office of Civil Rights. The mayor most likely never saw it as the memo was an internal communique within that office, which is not only separate from the Mayor's Office but predates the current mayor by almost two decades.

Um, I didn't even mention the mayor. The memo itself does not predate the current mayor -- it just came out. City officials are seriously considering the latest ban on words and these kinds of antics not new and are indicative of Seattle. Recently, lawmakers voted to remove gender specific words in official records: instead of “freshman” the term used now is “first-years.” “Journeymen” has become “journey-level” and “penmanship” is now “handwriting.” It's ridiculous and a waste of time and taxpayers' money (costs tons of $$$ to scrub all the city paperwork for every stupid word replacement).

Old 08-10-2013, 01:45 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,482,676 times
A) The mayor had nothing to do with the memo; otherwise, it would have come from his office.

B) The changes that you are referencing have more to do with the City Council than the mayor, and each person in the council has their own agenda. The primary had a couple of City Councilpersons running, but those folks are hardly the only ones with ambitions. The changes you are referencing can be seen as attempts to make a name in a town with verrrrrry leftist politics.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 AM

152 posts, read 261,777 times
im born and raised + moved away / back several times. i love sea. it is snooty / we are so cool we are too cool for ourselves. the prob with gov comes from folks like tim iman (a puppet) but the voters are stupid enough to derail transit projects even after they passed them.

praying the "green mayor" triples down of pollution and the tunnel actually works - impose a tax on cars like London did YEARS AGO!!! wake up!...lol. the bain of sea is the east side rednecks...its another world. wish they would all move to AZ..lol! how could repubs around sea think they are conservative-sheik when no one in the NW even knows how to dress! fuddy dudly!!! lol

one thing for sure, sea proper is fun once you realize you too are too cool for everyone - even yourself - and just walk around looking slightly annoyed

Old 09-13-2013, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,174 times
OMG, thank you for this post. I'm about to move too, and I can't wait. Absolutely cannot stand the people here.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:35 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post

Doesn't matter. That it even happened in the first place, or made it far enough through the bureaucracy to where it even became public speaks volumes.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM

12,848 posts, read 9,583,014 times
I've never been to Seattle and I know i'm cool.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 PM

12,848 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That would be San Diego, you know, "America's Finest City".
NO, that would be Houston, who apparently will be more relevant than Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, and San Fran within 20 months.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,917 times
Want a city that you're "not cool" if you don't love? The one city that NEVER laughs at itself the way Seattle or any other city does?

Try NYC...or, I should say if you have the hundreds of thousands of dollars for an apartment the size of a Seattle closet, try NYC.

At least people say what they don't like about Seattle all the time...in NYC, anyone caught admitting it is not the greatest city on Earth will be shot.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 AM

71 posts, read 113,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm not into nature or hiking. Sorry, just not my thing. Again, if I were into that stuff, I would probably find the city awesome, but I'm not.

As far as live music is concerned, I'm a jazz fan. There is only one jazz club, which is actually cool, but they don't always have people performing I like. I can listen to any sort of music, but I generally don't like the crowds.

And the nightlife is REALLY bad, this can't be denied. The women here are average looking and have way too much of an ego complex considering how they're not super models or anything. The food is decent though, if you're into Asian though.

Again, Seattle is just bust. Not the place for a single bachelor. Tried to go to a strip club here, and will never go again. Never thought I could be so bored in a strip club in my life. 4 foot rule, overpriced dances, no alcohiol, and strippers can't even get nude during a personal dance. Washington state seems intent on making this city as boring has humanly possible.

Not sure what you would call a place with 1:30 AM last calls, a club scene that completely shuts down at 2 AM, moody people, restrictive strip clubs, all that exciting. Seems like they do everything in their power to not make the city enjoyable. But I hear through the grapevine Seattle isn't all that thrilled about transplants here, so maybe they're trying to drive us out.
Vegas we aint.

I'm a transplant of 10 years though and that's always been a thing here.

Honestly, Seattle is a weird overgrown podunk fishing village that just happened to hit the lotto in terms of industry. Homebodies are us to a T.

I came up here a single bachelor and I'm never leaving though. Too much good snow, food and COL to go to another place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area