Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM

305 posts, read 450,254 times

Advertisements

So I've been wanting to write a post like this for a while. I lived in Seattle for 8 years, hated almost every second of it (okay, only the last 6 years or so), and then moved away, to Chicago. I have been happier than I could ever imagine since moving away - the gloom, the doom, the feeling of being on a COMPLETELY different page than everyone else has completely dissipated. I'm back to the real world again, and I feel alive... It's GREAT!

So I've been wanting to say, one of the more unpleasant things about Seattle is the public image kick it's on. Practically everyone that lives there, in one form or another, takes every chance possible to rave about what an AMAZING place it is. It's like they're trying to sell themselves, and one another, on their choice of a living destination. Problem is, not everything about Seattle is that great. Case in point: the weather. The weather is a particularly sticky subject in Seattle. I think, regardless of how gung ho anyone is about Seattle, EVERYONE can agree it's not ideal. You really don't see the Sun for long periods of time, it really doesn't get that warm there, and it really can be kind of a gloomy place (it's definitely no Cancun or anything). BUT... People are so intent on their Seattle propaganda kick that bringing up any negative aspect, no matter what context, is met with MAJOR opposition. Moreover, as one can probably tell from browsing this site for more than 20 seconds, it is practically scorned by the general populace... vehemently, at times.

Now this just adds to the problem. Because, you see, dealing with crappy weather, year after year, is difficult enough. But to be constantly "corrected" by your friends, coworkers, and family, if applicable, is even more annoying. There doesn't seem to be another place in the country that takes such offense to weather complaints. Complaining about the weather is as old as mankind itself. But the public condemnation and ostracism one receives in Seattle for doing such is beyond precedent. It's just bizarre. (And possibly a reason for the "Freeze", see other threads, as it can be quite a divisive phenomenon.)

I've often equated the mindset in Seattle as akin to Stockholm syndrome. You almost have to praise your captor, the weather, when it releases you from its cold, wet grip. If you can't rationalize your stay there as such, you're doomed. And that's best advice I can offer anyone thinking of moving there... Wishing you better luck than I had!

Last edited by DP79; 06-25-2013 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Your post made me laugh out loud, because the posts I read here are almost all about how terrible it is here. We moved here from a sunny climate 20 years ago and have been far happier ever since. People who don't like it should leave so I commend you on your intelligent choice.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 PM

305 posts, read 450,254 times
Yeah, it took me long enough, but I did it. Might I add, I look forward to visiting Seattle in the future... JULY THROUGH SEPTEMBER!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,373 times
Yes the weather isn't perfect here, but its not that bad. There is cloudier cities in North America. This is more of a North western European type of climate. This is why many foreigners adapt quickly over here. If you came from some place sunnier then yes, it may be hard to adjust. If sun is a huge part of your happiness then you may need to think of somewhere else to live.

Also People just love the vibe and feel of the city, like no where else in america! If you hate the fact that people truly enjoy talking about the city positively then I don't know what to tell you. People defend their hometown against negativity, and that's why I love this place. Yes you are right the city isn't perfect, but people like it just the way it is. Unlike places like LA which are constantly bashed by it's own citizens, Seattle gets praise! I love that people love this city so much. Sorry you had a bad experience. Hope one day you'll come back and give it a second try!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Seattle is REALLY dull. Nothing to do, just mad boring. If you love protesting over stupid stuff, sitting at home and smoking pot with your friends, or don't like leaving the house it's great. But you want a happening night life, it sucks. Best I can tell you. Not a great place for singles either. And the people are so sensitive here. I don't know how many times I've accidently offended people here. I'm so glad I work in the IT industry where people have thicker skin and have a bit more personality, AND you can talk about various topics. If it weren't for the amount of money I could make here, I would probably have moved back East. I think the money I can make here, and the talented technology professionals in the city to learn from is reason enough to stay. However overall anything else about this city is a bust.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 PM

164 posts, read 430,413 times
I love Chicago. But I'll take temperate and gloomy over wind chill factor and ice anytime. It's an important consideration for me because I like being carless.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Give it up already.

BTW, to me the weather is ideal, outside of Scandinavia I haven't lived anywhere with better weather.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Seattle is REALLY dull. Nothing to do, just mad boring. If you love protesting over stupid stuff, sitting at home and smoking pot with your friends, or don't like leaving the house it's great. But you want a happening night life, it sucks. Best I can tell you. Not a great place for singles either. And the people are so sensitive here. I don't know how many times I've accidently offended people here. I'm so glad I work in the IT industry where people have thicker skin and have a bit more personality, AND you can talk about various topics. If it weren't for the amount of money I could make here, I would probably have moved back East. I think the money I can make here, and the talented technology professionals in the city to learn from is reason enough to stay. However overall anything else about this city is a bust.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I've noticed you moan about Seattle in numerous threads. I personally think that's an unnecessary waste of energy when instead you could be looking to improve your situation.
I admit I am biased towards having a preference for the city, but I still think you're not giving it a fair shake. Saying that everything else is a bust about the city besides your specific line of work is irrational. At any given time, you could take advantage of the numerous outdoor activities, arts/cultural activities, and exploring the city in general. You can't deny that there is great emphasis on creativity and open mindedness in the area, which, in my opinion, creates a healthy, stimulating environment. Go hiking in the cascades, see some live music, venture out to the outskirts of the city, just look for better outlets than complaining. I don't mean to preach to you here, I just think seattle has a lot to offer and you are either close minded or don't have the right personality to enjoy it. Sure there may not be raging parties every night like in New Orleans or Vegas, but it's still a great city with more going for it than you give it credit for.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I've noticed you moan about Seattle in numerous threads. I personally think that's an unnecessary waste of energy when instead you could be looking to improve your situation.
I admit I am biased towards having a preference for the city, but I still think you're not giving it a fair shake. Saying that everything else is a bust about the city besides your specific line of work is irrational. At any given time, you could take advantage of the numerous outdoor activities, arts/cultural activities, and exploring the city in general. You can't deny that there is great emphasis on creativity and open mindedness in the area, which, in my opinion, creates a healthy, stimulating environment. Go hiking in the cascades, see some live music, venture out to the outskirts of the city, just look for better outlets than complaining. I don't mean to preach to you here, I just think seattle has a lot to offer and you are either close minded or don't have the right personality to enjoy it. Sure there may not be raging parties every night like in New Orleans or Vegas, but it's still a great city with more going for it than you give it credit for.

I'm not into nature or hiking. Sorry, just not my thing. Again, if I were into that stuff, I would probably find the city awesome, but I'm not.

As far as live music is concerned, I'm a jazz fan. There is only one jazz club, which is actually cool, but they don't always have people performing I like. I can listen to any sort of music, but I generally don't like the crowds.

And the nightlife is REALLY bad, this can't be denied. The women here are average looking and have way too much of an ego complex considering how they're not super models or anything. The food is decent though, if you're into Asian though.

Again, Seattle is just bust. Not the place for a single bachelor. Tried to go to a strip club here, and will never go again. Never thought I could be so bored in a strip club in my life. 4 foot rule, overpriced dances, no alcohiol, and strippers can't even get nude during a personal dance. Washington state seems intent on making this city as boring has humanly possible.

Not sure what you would call a place with 1:30 AM last calls, a club scene that completely shuts down at 2 AM, moody people, restrictive strip clubs, all that exciting. Seems like they do everything in their power to not make the city enjoyable. But I hear through the grapevine Seattle isn't all that thrilled about transplants here, so maybe they're trying to drive us out.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 PM

366 posts, read 596,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
I've often equated the mindset in Seattle as akin to Stockholm syndrome. You almost have to praise your captor, the weather, when it releases you from its cold, wet grip. If you can't rationalize your stay there as such, you're doomed. And that's best advice I can offer anyone thinking of moving there... Wishing you better luck than I had!
It's all subjective. Personally I far prefer the weather here to most other places. It's never so hot that we need AC except for a few days a year. Our winters are very mild compared to the vast majority of the country. We don't get the oppressive humidity of the Midwest, South and East Coast. We don't get tornadoes, tropical storms, nor'easters, blizzards, large hail or severe thunderstorms. Yes, it rains a lot in the winter, but that's what makes our lush vegetation possible. We also have a very secure water supply thanks mainly to that.

If all you do is focus on the negative without acknowledging the positive traits, and understanding the tradeoffs of the perceived negative aspects, then it's no wonder you keep running into opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area