Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 AM

164 posts, read 430,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicCreativity View Post
Seattle definitely feels like at times you are outside of the 'real world'. I've heard many people say they want to move back to where 'real people' are, I did not realize this at first when I moved here...but, it is pretty damn clear now.
That's a really interesting comment. What do you think those things are that make Seattle people or Seattle itself seem unreal to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicCreativity View Post
Seattle definitely feels like at times you are outside of the 'real world'. I've heard many people say they want to move back to where 'real people' are, I did not realize this at first when I moved here...but, it is pretty damn clear now.

As far as the weather, I like the fact that it is cool most of the year--no complaints there...no complaints with all the beauty, love it..

But, the people, the energy here, the vibe is totally off, IMO.................
To each his own, every place will be a different fit for different people. In my experience in the 4 years my wife and I have been here, one thing we absolutely love here is the vibe and the energy- it feels like a place where things are happening, where people have big dreams, it has big city energy but yet for the most part remains a friendly place. Definitely a big upgrade for us over our previous home in the Midwest.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM

13 posts, read 28,735 times
the weather sounds pretty lovely compared to south texas where its so hot you walk outside if literally feels like your walking into a hot oven, you can get sun burned in 2 min of direct sunlight and its so bright outside it hurts your eyes with sunglasses. Im thinking of moving to Seattle with my Aunt thats sick. I like the cloudy skies, pine forests, mountains and hills. hopefully i'll like it.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 AM

305 posts, read 450,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
To each his own, every place will be a different fit for different people. In my experience in the 4 years my wife and I have been here, one thing we absolutely love here is the vibe and the energy- it feels like a place where things are happening, where people have big dreams, it has big city energy but yet for the most part remains a friendly place. Definitely a big upgrade for us over our previous home in the Midwest.
JM, where did you live? I get the strong impression it was some po-dunk place in the middle of Iowa...

Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
The Stockholm Syndrome effect (also known as "Pride in your Hometown") is common in just about every place on earth. Though it might be the worst in NYC: people there actually believe their city is the best in the universe and not a grimy, noisy, smelly dump.
That would be San Diego, you know, "America's Finest City".

Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
As far as live music is concerned, I'm a jazz fan. There is only one jazz club, which is actually cool, but they don't always have people performing I like. I can listen to any sort of music, but I generally don't like the crowds.
Only 1 jazz club eh. Have you actually looked around the city? Because that is not true.

You don't like crowds but the club scene sucks? Clubs are a jam packed nightmare of crowds. So why would that even be an option? That makes no sense whatsoever. I won't even get into the single scene is bad here because the strip clubs won't let you touchie feel the dancers. Er....

It's the PNW, it rains. The end. Everyone knows this so why people complain once here is beyond me. It's not a joke, it rains.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:00 AM

34 posts, read 111,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
The Stockholm Syndrome effect (also known as "Pride in your Hometown") is common in just about every place on earth. Though it might be the worst in NYC: people there actually believe their city is the best in the universe and not a grimy, noisy, smelly dump.
I do think it is worst in NYC. Lived there for a few months and could not find enough reasons to stay. Coming to Seattle was still a major change but I was so happy to be out of NYC. I sometimes miss the food (a little more diversity there for sure). But that's about it!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,782 times
Wow, I don't even know where to begin but still feel compelled to post.

You know, I live in the Dallas area and as others from Texas have pointed out, it's hot here. It's dang hot. And yes, you walk outside in the summer and start sweating immediately. I would LOVE to move away...but when someone wants to move here? You'd think I worked for the Tourism Bureau. I start thinking of all the wonderful things Dallas has to offer and how some people REALLY enjoy the heat and all the city has to offer. I personally, really want to move to Seattle.

OP, I can appreciate that it wasn't for you, but please note that some folks really DO like that weather...or all the little quirks that make that city individual. I can apply it to living in Texas. I would never trash Texas, although I bemoan the traffic all the time, but nor would I put down an entire city based on my experience. Like everything in life, perspectives change with...well, the person. It makes sense, yes? I may not always understand my friend who loves hanging out in the summer...outside of all places. WHO does that??? hehe...seriously though, to each their own.

As for the issues you have when you trash the place they live in? Well, what do you expect? Just like where I live, I get kinda pissy when someone trashes it...as if their experience makes the entire place what it is. So not the case...for anyone.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Only 1 jazz club eh. Have you actually looked around the city? Because that is not true.

You don't like crowds but the club scene sucks? Clubs are a jam packed nightmare of crowds. So why would that even be an option? That makes no sense whatsoever. I won't even get into the single scene is bad here because the strip clubs won't let you touchie feel the dancers. Er....

It's the PNW, it rains. The end. Everyone knows this so why people complain once here is beyond me. It's not a joke, it rains.

What I meant is that I can listen to any type of music, but when you see music live then you have to deal with different crowds. I have no problem with crowds, but I do have a problem with certain crowds. I tend to like the type of crowd that a jazz club normally attracts. Not to say this is always the same across the board. I'm also a big metal fan, but I'm not a huge fan of metal crowds. If that makes any sense.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,082 times
DP79, Definitely much smaller, but not exactly podunk. I came from Lincoln, Nebraska- Lincoln has about 300,000 people and there were about a million people within a 60 mile radius.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area