Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:46 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
So I've been wanting to write a post like this for a while. I lived in Seattle for 8 years, hated almost every second of it (okay, only the last 6 years or so), and then moved away, to Chicago. I have been happier than I could ever imagine since moving away - the gloom, the doom, the feeling of being on a COMPLETELY different page than everyone else has completely dissipated. I'm back to the real world again, and I feel alive... It's GREAT!

So I've been wanting to say, one of the more unpleasant things about Seattle is the public image kick it's on. Practically everyone that lives there, in one form or another, takes every chance possible to rave about what an AMAZING place it is. It's like they're trying to sell themselves, and one another, on their choice of a living destination. Problem is, not everything about Seattle is that great. Case in point: the weather. The weather is a particularly sticky subject in Seattle. I think, regardless of how gung ho anyone is about Seattle, EVERYONE can agree it's not ideal. You really don't see the Sun for long periods of time, it really doesn't get that warm there, and it really can be kind of a gloomy place (it's definitely no Cancun or anything). BUT... People are so intent on their Seattle propaganda kick that bringing up any negative aspect, no matter what context, is met with MAJOR opposition. Moreover, as one can probably tell from browsing this site for more than 20 seconds, it is practically scorned by the general populace... vehemently, at times.

Now this just adds to the problem. Because, you see, dealing with crappy weather, year after year, is difficult enough. But to be constantly "corrected" by your friends, coworkers, and family, if applicable, is even more annoying. There doesn't seem to be another place in the country that takes such offense to weather complaints. Complaining about the weather is as old as mankind itself. But the public condemnation and ostracism one receives in Seattle for doing such is beyond precedent. It's just bizarre. (And possibly a reason for the "Freeze", see other threads, as it can be quite a divisive phenomenon.)

I've often equated the mindset in Seattle as akin to Stockholm syndrome. You almost have to praise your captor, the weather, when it releases you from its cold, wet grip. If you can't rationalize your stay there as such, you're doomed. And that's best advice I can offer anyone thinking of moving there... Wishing you better luck than I had!
I know people who were born and raised in Seattle, and they don't have much of anything good to say about it, either. I haven't run into the Seattle-boosting you describe.

What I'm wondering is: of all these transplants who end up hating Seattle, and eventually leaving, why aren't they finding each other in Seattle? If there were some kind of transplants club, so people could meet and commiserate, life in Seattle might be a lot more tolerable for them. They might actually have some fun, and make a bunch of friends. How come that's not working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso;30196016I
ditched the umbrella that I carried every day in Chicago
Why did you ditch the umbrella? You said Chicago has more sunny days than Seattle. Wouldn't your habit have been the opposite--carry an umbrella every day in Seattle, but only when the weather warrants it in Chicago?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:50 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

What I'm wondering is: of all these transplants who end up hating Seattle, and eventually leaving, why aren't they finding each other in Seattle? If there were some kind of transplants club, so people could meet and commiserate, life in Seattle might be a lot more tolerable for them. They might actually have some fun, and make a bunch of friends. How come that's not working?
Or just leave? Why stay? If you need to make life "tolerable" why stay? We have plenty of people here and overwhelming traffic, why stay? Go find your happy place. Ruth, don't you live in New Mexico? OP, why don't you go join Ruth in New Mexico. She's another poster who spends a lot of time here dissing Seattle. It makes no sense why you guys spend so much time here when you don't live here. It's like you just can't get over it that you could not live here happily so you obsess.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:45 PM

305 posts, read 450,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Or just leave? Why stay? If you need to make life "tolerable" why stay? We have plenty of people here and overwhelming traffic, why stay? Go find your happy place. Ruth, don't you live in New Mexico? OP, why don't you go join Ruth in New Mexico. She's another poster who spends a lot of time here dissing Seattle. It makes no sense why you guys spend so much time here when you don't live here. It's like you just can't get over it that you could not live here happily so you obsess.
Seacove, there is an undeniable sense of warmth and hospitality in your every post. Have you considered becoming a game show host or possibly a diplomat? I believe our country's global positioning could be strengthened by your vision.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:49 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,373 times
Quote:
Why did you ditch the umbrella? You said Chicago has more sunny days than Seattle. Wouldn't your habit have been the opposite--carry an umbrella every day in Seattle, but only when the weather warrants it in Chicago?
Weather is Chicago is unpredictable and when it rains it rains hard! Here is just a light rain so really only a light windbreaker is needed, rarely an umbrella is needed!

Old 06-26-2013, 01:06 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Seacove, there is an undeniable sense of warmth and hospitality in your every post. Have you considered becoming a game show host or possibly a diplomat? I believe our country's global positioning could be strengthened by your vision.
I'm guessing you deserved the isolation you received while living here and are wounded that everyone smiled and waved at your departure. If your sole purpose is to post rants against Seattle after you've moved away, you deserve the scorn. You might want to move on, it's healthier.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM

305 posts, read 450,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm guessing you deserved the isolation you received while living here and are wounded that everyone smiled and waved at your departure. If your sole purpose is to post rants against Seattle after you've moved away, you deserve the scorn. You might want to move on, it's healthier.
You're right, Seacove, you're right. I was so isolated there, and so unpopular. I had no friends, and no one liked me. Wow, you sure know how to jab your finger into a wound and twist, huh? How do you do it? How do you exhibit such warmth and compassion one moment, and such blatantly cruelty the next? Right when I was starting to think I made my first Seattle friend after 8 lonely, tear-soaked years... What a heartbreaker you are, Seacove.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Quote:
So I've been wanting to write a post like this for a while. I lived in Seattle for 8 years, hated almost every second of it (okay, only the last 6 years or so), and then moved away, to Chicago. I have been happier than I could ever imagine since moving away - the gloom, the doom, the feeling of being on a COMPLETELY different page than everyone else has completely dissipated. I'm back to the real world again, and I feel alive... It's GREAT!

So I've been wanting to say, one of the more unpleasant things about Seattle is the public image kick it's on. Practically everyone that lives there, in one form or another, takes every chance possible to rave about what an AMAZING place it is.
Sounds like people from... CHICAGO!

Old 06-26-2013, 02:52 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
The Stockholm Syndrome effect (also known as "Pride in your Hometown") is common in just about every place on earth. Though it might be the worst in NYC: people there actually believe their city is the best in the universe and not a grimy, noisy, smelly dump.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM

323 posts, read 449,195 times
Quote:
I know people who were born and raised in Seattle, and they don't have much of anything good to say about it, either. I haven't run into the Seattle-boosting you describe.

Good idea. Seattle Dislikers Anonymous.

To all those that left because you didn't like Seattle, please spread your word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area