Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,742 times

Advertisements

Stockholm syndrome, hmm, there is a grain of truth in that. The weather and culture are sacrosanct to many. Critique it and prepare for a barrage of insults. Either you love us, or hey, "don't let the door hit you on your way out". There is a lack of humor about it (though the column "Uptight Seattlelite" was great while it lasted -- humor is healthy!). Our skies may show many shades of grey, but people here can be very black-or-white in their perspectives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
So I've been wanting to write a post like this for a while. I lived in Seattle for 8 years, hated almost every second of it (okay, only the last 6 years or so), and then moved away, to Chicago. I have been happier than I could ever imagine since moving away - the gloom, the doom, the feeling of being on a COMPLETELY different page than everyone else has completely dissipated. I'm back to the real world again, and I feel alive... It's GREAT!

So I've been wanting to say, one of the more unpleasant things about Seattle is the public image kick it's on. Practically everyone that lives there, in one form or another, takes every chance possible to rave about what an AMAZING place it is. It's like they're trying to sell themselves, and one another, on their choice of a living destination. Problem is, not everything about Seattle is that great. Case in point: the weather. The weather is a particularly sticky subject in Seattle. I think, regardless of how gung ho anyone is about Seattle, EVERYONE can agree it's not ideal. You really don't see the Sun for long periods of time, it really doesn't get that warm there, and it really can be kind of a gloomy place (it's definitely no Cancun or anything). BUT... People are so intent on their Seattle propaganda kick that bringing up any negative aspect, no matter what context, is met with MAJOR opposition. Moreover, as one can probably tell from browsing this site for more than 20 seconds, it is practically scorned by the general populace... vehemently, at times.

Now this just adds to the problem. Because, you see, dealing with crappy weather, year after year, is difficult enough. But to be constantly "corrected" by your friends, coworkers, and family, if applicable, is even more annoying. There doesn't seem to be another place in the country that takes such offense to weather complaints. Complaining about the weather is as old as mankind itself. But the public condemnation and ostracism one receives in Seattle for doing such is beyond precedent. It's just bizarre. (And possibly a reason for the "Freeze", see other threads, as it can be quite a divisive phenomenon.)

I've often equated the mindset in Seattle as akin to Stockholm syndrome. You almost have to praise your captor, the weather, when it releases you from its cold, wet grip. If you can't rationalize your stay there as such, you're doomed. And that's best advice I can offer anyone thinking of moving there... Wishing you better luck than I had!
Having just moved from Chicago to Seattle, I'm finding it hard to believe you'll really be happier in Chicago. First of all, it's not like Chicago's weather is all that great. Sure, it might be a bit sunnier throughout the year (not really during the winter), but Chicago gets more than its fair share of crappy weather as well. If anything, it's worse because of how unpredictable it is. A given weekend in April might be 75 and sunny, or it could be in the upper 30s with a rain/snow mix.

But really, this isn't about the weather at all. People who have figured out their lives can deal with whatever nature throws at them. This is really about what you make of the place where you live. The city is there for your enjoyment, and it's up to you to be an active resident and enjoy the city for all it's worth. If you think I'm spewing crazy talk, just read the Chicago City-Data forum. You'll find it full of people who love the city and defend it at every opportunity. You'll also find the forum full of people who complain about the city's harsh winters and its crime and traffic issues.

Maybe those issues are more palatable to you than clouds and rain. I personally dealt with Chicago's issues just fine, and was sad to leave the city when I got a job in Seattle. But I'm enjoying Seattle for all its worth. I ditched the umbrella that I carried every day in Chicago and went out to explore the Puget Sound, which is incredibly beautiful. I miss the wide open water of Lake Michigan, but the hills and snow-capped mountains in the PNW make up for it.

Are there things I don't like about Seattle? Of course. No place is perfect. But I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying my time here. I hope you can do the same with Chicago, because it's definitely not the promised land either.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,729,335 times
Hahahaaaha DP79, told ya so didn't I?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 AM

45 posts, read 46,551 times
Quote:
So I've been wanting to write a post like this for a while. I lived in Seattle for 8 years, hated almost every second of it (okay, only the last 6 years or so), and then moved away, to Chicago. I have been happier than I could ever imagine since moving away - the gloom, the doom, the feeling of being on a COMPLETELY different page than everyone else has completely dissipated. I'm back to the real world again, and I feel alive... It's GREAT!

So I've been wanting to say, one of the more unpleasant things about Seattle is the public image kick it's on. Practically everyone that lives there, in one form or another, takes every chance possible to rave about what an AMAZING place it is. It's like they're trying to sell themselves, and one another, on their choice of a living destination. Problem is, not everything about Seattle is that great. Case in point: the weather. The weather is a particularly sticky subject in Seattle. I think, regardless of how gung ho anyone is about Seattle, EVERYONE can agree it's not ideal. You really don't see the Sun for long periods of time, it really doesn't get that warm there, and it really can be kind of a gloomy place (it's definitely no Cancun or anything). BUT... People are so intent on their Seattle propaganda kick that bringing up any negative aspect, no matter what context, is met with MAJOR opposition. Moreover, as one can probably tell from browsing this site for more than 20 seconds, it is practically scorned by the general populace... vehemently, at times.

Now this just adds to the problem. Because, you see, dealing with crappy weather, year after year, is difficult enough. But to be constantly "corrected" by your friends, coworkers, and family, if applicable, is even more annoying. There doesn't seem to be another place in the country that takes such offense to weather complaints. Complaining about the weather is as old as mankind itself. But the public condemnation and ostracism one receives in Seattle for doing such is beyond precedent. It's just bizarre. (And possibly a reason for the "Freeze", see other threads, as it can be quite a divisive phenomenon.)

I've often equated the mindset in Seattle as akin to Stockholm syndrome. You almost have to praise your captor, the weather, when it releases you from its cold, wet grip. If you can't rationalize your stay there as such, you're doomed. And that's best advice I can offer anyone thinking of moving there... Wishing you better luck than I had!
When dealing with Seattleites you must never forget that until the mid-90's it was a dull fishing village with a Bible-Belt drunken mentality, a Heroin-infused town full of SAD-sufferers and a magnet for child runaways/throwaways that were preyed upon by the uptight and the forever loose alike. Then there are all these hippy Bay Area escapees that evacuated the mess they made in the '70's and '80's who noticed Seattle had a rube populace and decided they could roost here and make King County their own little sanctuary of inept but self-affirming political gibberish.

Remember that PC was invented at UW because it was in Seattle that the modern cult of the perpetual victim was born, abetted by the influence of that smug Bostonian upper-class Gates family with their Utopia-dreaming realtor pet Paul Allen and it is apparent why this town is so obsessed with people agreeing that this tired little corner of sun-refused earth is heaven on earth and that that absolute need here to re-inforce positive rhetoric about anything and everything Seattle does, says and pretends to do is so important. Social engineering and macroeconomics made perfect sounds so exciting when accompanied by vaped ganja...

Recall grunge? That and political correctness really was all Seattle had to offer to the world culturally, and the self-delusional happiness in supporting government models that are tailored to look like they aren't corporate-controlled.

You said it succinctly: Stockholm Syndrome, with an OCD kick always revolving around the weather and the foul little social skills of those suffering from both! Vape another bowl and fit right in! (Don't forget to honestly extoll how the DNC works religiously for the betterment of all humanity)

Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Over The Horizon View Post
When dealing with Seattleites you must never forget that until the mid-90's it was a dull fishing village with a Bible-Belt drunken mentality, a Heroin-infused town full of SAD-sufferers and a magnet for child runaways/throwaways that were preyed upon by the uptight and the forever loose alike. Then there are all these hippy Bay Area escapees that evacuated the mess they made in the '70's and '80's who noticed Seattle had a rube populace and decided they could roost here and make King County their own little sanctuary of inept but self-affirming political gibberish.

Remember that PC was invented at UW because it was in Seattle that the modern cult of the perpetual victim was born, abetted by the influence of that smug Bostonian upper-class Gates family with their Utopia-dreaming realtor pet Paul Allen and it is apparent why this town is so obsessed with people agreeing that this tired little corner of sun-refused earth is heaven on earth and that that absolute need here to re-inforce positive rhetoric about anything and everything Seattle does, says and pretends to do is so important. Social engineering and macroeconomics made perfect sounds so exciting when accompanied by vaped ganja...

Recall grunge? That and political correctness really was all Seattle had to offer to the world culturally, and the self-delusional happiness in supporting government models that are tailored to look like they aren't corporate-controlled.

You said it succinctly: Stockholm Syndrome, with an OCD kick always revolving around the weather and the foul little social skills of those suffering from both! Vape another bowl and fit right in! (Don't forget to honestly extoll how the DNC works religiously for the betterment of all humanity)
...................uh what?

Old 06-26-2013, 03:51 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,729,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Over The Horizon View Post

I hereby confer on you the anti rain city award for the best post in the Seattle forum in as long as I can remember. Thank you for shredding the bullshifters here who can't escape their love affair with the Seattle Stockholm Syndrome.

Lovely bit of prose sir. You can sneak away now, to a place where the sun peaks out from time to time to oppose the will of politically correct greyness. Run free.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
Quote:
No, it looks like your 343 posts about how great Seattle is probably keep you busy enough.
Really, you went through all my posts??? I'm impressed!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
So this is basically I hate Seattle post, right? The OP and his fellow bitter whiners are upset that they weren't considered "cool" for trashing Seattle when they lived here? They are upset that locals prefer or don't mind the weather? They moved away and continue to come back and post their complaints? And they wonder why they weren't well liked? Shocking.

Flyingsaucermom said it best. She didn't like Texas so she left. She doesn't feel compelled to go back to the Texas boards and keep posting her complaints about a place she doesn't even live in anymore.

Guess what former bitters: It rains in Seattle. If you don't like rain, don't live here. It's really that simple. All these weather posts to complain about something that is not going to change, that no one can control and is perfectly palatable to a segment of the population - just maybe not you.

You may find it rude that we say "if you don't like it, leave" but seriously, isn't that the obvious thing to do? Posting complaints about the clouds in sky or the fact that not enough people are complaining with you is such a waste of time when you could be so much happier living somewhere else.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM

305 posts, read 450,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So this is basically I hate Seattle post, right? The OP and his fellow bitter whiners are upset that they weren't considered "cool" for trashing Seattle when they lived here? They are upset that locals prefer or don't mind the weather? They moved away and continue to come back and post their complaints? And they wonder why they weren't well liked? Shocking.

Flyingsaucermom said it best. She didn't like Texas so she left. She doesn't feel compelled to go back to the Texas boards and keep posting her complaints about a place she doesn't even live in anymore.

Guess what former bitters: It rains in Seattle. If you don't like rain, don't live here. It's really that simple. All these weather posts to complain about something that is not going to change, that no one can control and is perfectly palatable to a segment of the population - just maybe not you.

You may find it rude that we say "if you don't like it, leave" but seriously, isn't that the obvious thing to do? Posting complaints about the clouds in sky or the fact that not enough people are complaining with you is such a waste of time when you could be so much happier living somewhere else.
Isn't the Internet great?? It's almost like anyone ANYWHERE can come to a site like this and express their opinion, geographical boundaries be damned!

Seacove, you are a ray of joy, my friend. It's probably raining there today, isn't it?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM

305 posts, read 450,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Having just moved from Chicago to Seattle, I'm finding it hard to believe you'll really be happier in Chicago. First of all, it's not like Chicago's weather is all that great. Sure, it might be a bit sunnier throughout the year (not really during the winter), but Chicago gets more than its fair share of crappy weather as well. If anything, it's worse because of how unpredictable it is. A given weekend in April might be 75 and sunny, or it could be in the upper 30s with a rain/snow mix.

But really, this isn't about the weather at all. People who have figured out their lives can deal with whatever nature throws at them. This is really about what you make of the place where you live. The city is there for your enjoyment, and it's up to you to be an active resident and enjoy the city for all it's worth. If you think I'm spewing crazy talk, just read the Chicago City-Data forum. You'll find it full of people who love the city and defend it at every opportunity. You'll also find the forum full of people who complain about the city's harsh winters and its crime and traffic issues.

Maybe those issues are more palatable to you than clouds and rain. I personally dealt with Chicago's issues just fine, and was sad to leave the city when I got a job in Seattle. But I'm enjoying Seattle for all its worth. I ditched the umbrella that I carried every day in Chicago and went out to explore the Puget Sound, which is incredibly beautiful. I miss the wide open water of Lake Michigan, but the hills and snow-capped mountains in the PNW make up for it.

Are there things I don't like about Seattle? Of course. No place is perfect. But I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying my time here. I hope you can do the same with Chicago, because it's definitely not the promised land either.
Yeah I know Chicago's weather isn't perfect - in fact, I hear people complain about it all the time here (without public reprisal, curiously enough...) But I'm originally from Massachusetts, so I know what I signed up for. Unless you lived in Oregon or Northern Cal previously, give yourself a few years in Seattle before you can fully appreciate what you signed up for. Trust me, the first couple years I lived in Seattle, I loved it. It's about Year 3 when that old chemical imbalance/vitamin D deficiency kicks in and your body starts to violently reject the thought of another winter... But that's not everyone, so hopefully you're spared. If you're not spared, just remember NOT to ever voice it publicly. As you can see from above, doing so tends to rile up the natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area