Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:11 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times

Advertisements

As I was look the sound today on the beach, I was wondering how different the sound would be if there was bridges linking the Kitsap peninsula closer to Seattle. So like any bored person I went and looked at a map then went on Paint to draw these hypothetical bridges. I found the best locations would to have a bridge linking Burien/Normandy Park area to Vashon Island and another smaller bridge linking Vashon Island to the Pennisula as highlighted on the drawing. A road could be constructed to merge on the I-405 and on the other side a road could merge with Highway 16 to Bremerton.

Now of course all of this is hypothetical but I want to know how to you think a bridges across the sound could affect the area? How would that affect growth in the Seattle Area? What are the positives of such roads and bridges? What are the drawbacks and negative (Be more creative and just saying taxes with go up). I want to know your opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Bridges across the sound?!-south_puget_sound_map-paint.gif  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
They would have to built bridges high enough so it wouldn't interfere with freight transport to Port of Tacoma. They could do what Virginia Beach did and put tunnels instead. Though I'm not sure how it would fare, given the Earthquake zone issue. I probably won't use the tunnels because it'd freak me out. They'd most likely be tolled given that people just don't want to increase their taxes.

I honestly don't see any positives because it just means sprawl would be spreading on that side exponentially.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
They would have to built bridges high enough so it wouldn't interfere with freight transport to Port of Tacoma. They could do what Virginia Beach did and put tunnels instead. Though I'm not sure how it would fare, given the Earthquake zone issue. I probably won't use the tunnels because it'd freak me out. They'd most likely be tolled given that people just don't want to increase their taxes.

I honestly don't see any positives because it just means sprawl would be spreading on that side exponentially.
Tunnels possibly could work. The way technologyhas advanced and construction methods have advanced, you probably built a solid safe tunnel in a earthquake zone if built far enough under ground and built to absord the shaking.

With that said one positive could be housing prices here would increase so much to to the sprawl that would happen over there. Even Vashon Island would most likely turn into the Mercer Island of the South Sound. It would provide much access for farmers and ranchers over there to get their product to the city in a efficient matter.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
This was the original plan when the state took over the ferry system from Black Ball. The state has had it's eye on a bridge to Vashon and Key Peninsula for a long time, and the favored spot is Seahurst. They'd continue 518 west of Seatac and connect it to a bridge that would cross over to Vashon then straight across to Highway 16. You'd have a bridge that connects directly to 405 and 5 that way.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
This was the original plan when the state took over the ferry system from Black Ball. The state has had it's eye on a bridge to Vashon and Key Peninsula for a long time, and the favored spot is Seahurst. They'd continue 518 west of Seatac and connect it to a bridge that would cross over to Vashon then straight across to Highway 16. You'd have a bridge that connects directly to 405 and 5 that way.
Im pretty young so I never knew that, You think they still will try to build it?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Maybe the people who live on Vashon ought to have some say in the matter, and I think they have: They hate the idea. Vashon is a wonderful, quiet place that would get ruined if a bridge were built. Who would it serve, other than developers building ugly townhomes on the island? Why would it be a good thing?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Maybe the people who live on Vashon ought to have some say in the matter, and I think they have: They hate the idea. Vashon is a wonderful, quiet place that would get ruined if a bridge were built. Who would it serve, other than developers building ugly townhomes on the island? Why would it be a good thing?
I dont think to point is for the Island to be built up but to connect to region together better. The island just may be a casualty of some of the good it would create. Alot of the farmers could easily get their products off the island now. I mean Vashon is more of a town at the moment but if it does happen they would quickly need to become a true city. If they zoned areas off they could preserve most of the islands beauty while providing money coming into the community, jobs being created, as well as catering the construction of what enviably would become high end waterfront neighborhoods for the upper class. There is good and bad and every situation. As this area grows and demand to live near the city increases, prices will sky rocket and this area will become more expensive everyday. a bridge could open up the West side of the sound, offer easier access to the Olympic mountains, more tourism, and suburban relief for the Seattle metro area. Cities like Bremerton could boom if such a thing would happen. Not to even mention the jobs that would be created during and after the construction of the bridge. That's what I see. Yes it could be seen as an annoyance to the people of Vashon but sometimes changes like that could have a positive effect for them.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The Realtors that sell the houses

Old 07-14-2013, 06:17 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
I doubt that a bridge would be built in the next few decades, unless the state decides that Key Peninsula is too tempting a target for housing and development for the doubling of our population in the next few decades. Luckily for Vashon we have a lot of politicians and transportation planners that are loathe to do anything that might benefit the car, though.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I doubt that a bridge would be built in the next few decades, unless the state decides that Key Peninsula is too tempting a target for housing and development for the doubling of our population in the next few decades. Luckily for Vashon we have a lot of politicians and transportation planners that are loathe to do anything that might benefit the car, though.
Well after discussing these with a few people, a tunnel could be beneficial. It's time to start thinking for the future. With more people congested into this limited area the only thing that it will lead to is more crime and higher price of living. Many cities now are projected to hit over 100,000 people in the next Decade (Renton, Kent, Auburn, and Federal Way). If a Tunnel was built under the sound and Highway was bult through Vashon island like Mercer Island, I doubt there would be a huge effect other then more money coming into the city and rich people building up communities on the water.

Kitsap county currently has a population of 250,000 and a Density of 600 PSM. Rather small right? There is much land to be used over there. The only problem I could see is the good people of Vashon island opposing a tunnel/bridge. I do realize they would giving up there precious land and privacy, but Vashon Island is 37 sq miles large and a highway would only effect a small portion of the land.

I'm young (under 21 still) and I see this as a potential problem 20 years from now. I have the "better safe then sorry" attitude when it comes to these things. The economic and social benefits aren't for now but for 20 years from now when building a bridge may be twice as expensive. IMO I think the positives out weigh the negatives. But i'm willing to hear an opposing point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area