Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:24 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,104,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I agree with all of this. I especially agree with the socioeconomic consequences part. It's not sustainable in any capacity, but it's my personal belief that it's the environmental degrading byproducts of this system that will inevitably bring about massive restructuring. Unfortunately it's also my belief that this won't happen until that very few top % are really feeling it.
The very top few % never have to deal with it directly. It's the top 30% less the top 3% that have to both pay for it and run from it at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 11:06 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,387,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Homeless Babysitters is a great name for a punk band, but a terrible idea for real life. Just saying.
Dude! I'm the drummer for The Homeless Babysitters!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,058,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Interestingly, the violent, aggressive mentally ill homeless meth addict we were having trouble with over the summer used to own a daycare in snoqualmie. I recently discovered one of his assault charges was against a 4 year old child enrolled there.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:10 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,058,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Dude! I'm the drummer for The Homeless Babysitters!
Rad. I knew I was in the presence of greatness.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:10 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,693,572 times
Off topic: we have Ira500 and IraWoodward???

Old 10-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I think the part about the Eastside being free to wash their hands of the problem is true, not that those who live in the city have implicitly taken ownership of the problem. I don't think anyone wants ownership of the burden associated to homelessness. I think some people can and choose to buy themselves out of it. Now do I think that's fair? Do I think the Eastside bubble is sustainable or "real"? NO! I'm just saying why it exists, not how I feel about it (which is a whole other discussion).
There have been homeless encampments in Kirkland, Bellevue, and Woodinville, with very few issues resulting. Sure, there have been more homeless encampments in Skyway( now being treated to their third Tent City). I've hired a few people to do yard work from the Millionaire Club, and found out from talking with them that they lived in shelters. All of them were decent folks and hard workers.
I don't know that I'd offer my backyard to become a homeless encampment, but I do see these people as people, just down on their luck. I'd rather that they all had places to live other than a tent.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Off topic: we have Ira500 and IraWoodward???
I know! How awesome is that? City-Data's Seattle forums have just seen a 100% increase in members named Ira. And maybe this latecomer Ira is really named Joe or something, and just adopted the name Ira because it's cool.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,104,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
There have been homeless encampments in Kirkland, Bellevue, and Woodinville, with very few issues resulting. Sure, there have been more homeless encampments in Skyway( now being treated to their third Tent City). I've hired a few people to do yard work from the Millionaire Club, and found out from talking with them that they lived in shelters. All of them were decent folks and hard workers.
I don't know that I'd offer my backyard to become a homeless encampment, but I do see these people as people, just down on their luck. I'd rather that they all had places to live other than a tent.
The impression I get is the TC campers are very different than the general homeless population in Seattle. While they may have some of the same problems, they're making an effort, at the bare minimum, to follow the rules laid out for the encampment.

Too many of the homeless are so far gone due to mental illness compounded with drug abuse that they could not function in a structured setting like this for even a day.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:57 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,467,462 times
Oh yes, let me hire a homeless babysitter! No address, no references...what could possibly go wrong?

However if any of them want to do my yard work, I'd be all for it. In my area everyone charges $40 an hour which is just absurd because I am near certain that the poor non-English speaking guys that are out there doing all the work get less than $15 an hour.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:48 PM

30 posts, read 81,647 times
I've seen homeless in Bellevue believe it or not. Not sure about Sammamish though. One wise words about the situation: You can run, but you can't hide. I can go on and on about this topic but I try not to start flame war so I'll just leave it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area