Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times

Advertisements

I think this thread has diverged way, way off topic. A hispanic dude asked if he would have head turns because he was dating white women.

The answer is "maybe one or two" and maybe a few more will have the passive-aggressive inward judging, but hardly the majority will bat an eyelash. End of story. Discuss the geo-sociological effects of racism in America in Politics & Other Controversies, or start a different thread please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 09:48 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I think this thread has diverged way, way off topic. A hispanic dude asked if he would have head turns because he was dating white women.

The answer is "maybe one or two" and maybe a few more will have the passive-aggressive inward judging, but hardly the majority will bat an eyelash. End of story. Discuss the geo-sociological effects of racism in America in Politics & Other Controversies, or start a different thread please.

You're right. It has got off topic. Mainly due to me. I have pretty strong opinions about interracial dating. I feel it's improbable and impractical. I have no moral opposition to it, as I've done it myself. But I do think that if one wanted to increase their chances of a successful relationship they shouldn't bother. I think what people often overlook is the mechanics of dating and then adding another layer of challenges on top of that with interracial dating. No matter how idealistic we may think of it, there us an ugly reality to it. And no matter how much we feel society shouldn't dictate our personal lives and relationships they more than often do. I don't think America or any country (lets be real here) really accept it to a heart felt level. As a result intteracial relationships are only really for people who are radical and not necessarily looking for results. That's my parting shot on this topic.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I never had a negative experience in Seattle at all. At least not due to race. I'm not sharing my personal experiences. I'm sharing perception which is very hard to ignore.

I disagree. It seems to me that you are using your own personal experience as a "black man" who didn't do well in Bellevue (which happens to be 40 percent Asian), and you are applying your perceptions to everyone else.

Plenty of people date someone of the opposite ethnic group because they want to, not because they are being radical or different. I guess you really have not spent much time in King County (as you claim you have). There are quite a good number of multiracial kids in Vancouver and Seattle.

You may or may not believe it, but "multiracial" young people in both Canada and the US is one of the fastest growing demographics.

Believe what you want, but there are plenty of happy people who disagree with you.

P.S. a few results from Pew Poll in 2012

According to the Pew report, more than 25 percent of Hispanics and Asians who married in 2010 had a spouse of a different race. That's compared to 17.1 percent of blacks and 9.4 percent of whites. Of the 275,500 new interracial marriages in 2010, 43 percent were white-Hispanic couples, 14.4 percent were white-Asian, 11.9 percent were white-black, and the remainder were other combinations.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...#ixzz2jJdbEANC

Old 10-31-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
I disagree. It seems to me that you are using your own personal experience as a "black man" who didn't do well in Bellevue (which happens to be 40 percent Asian), and you are applying your perceptions to everyone else.

Plenty of people date someone of the opposite ethnic group because they want to, not because they are being radical or different. I guess you really have not spent much time in King County (as you claim you have). There are quite a good number of multiracial kids in Vancouver and Seattle.

You may or may not believe it, but "multiracial" young people in both Canada and the US is one of the fastest growing demographics.

Believe what you want, but there are plenty of happy people who disagree with you.

P.S. a few results from Pew Poll in 2012

According to the Pew report, more than 25 percent of Hispanics and Asians who married in 2010 had a spouse of a different race. That's compared to 17.1 percent of blacks and 9.4 percent of whites. Of the 275,500 new interracial marriages in 2010, 43 percent were white-Hispanic couples, 14.4 percent were white-Asian, 11.9 percent were white-black, and the remainder were other combinations.

Read more: Interracial marriages in the U.S. hit all-time high 4.8 million - NY Daily News

I didn't have a negative experience in Bellevue. As a matter of fact I love Bellevue. I would recommend it over all other areas in the Puget sound. Not sure why you would think I had a negative experience in Bellevue. But you assumed I did because I'm black. Which is my point about perception

Edit: in regards to your article. Statistically I wouldn't survive an interracial relationship. I'm a black man who isn't attracted to white women. Which is the only interracial pairing that has any possibility for being successful for a black man.

I do think black men with white women generally date white women on the lower end of the economic scale, bit that's another topic.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
So tell me how could cultural education get you around an intercast system? You do know that is a property of some cultures. There is no way around it. To some degree to date interracially or interculturally, someone has to ignore their own culture. Sole cultures even violate each other's values. This is why multi culturalism suck. Dating between cultures is even more Euphoric and unrealistic.

And America is race obsessed. My point is there are some interracial pairings that are more acceptable and appropriate than others. You can't possibly be this out of touch with reality
How do you define appropriate? By who's standards?

We have two married medical doctors living up the hill and they are a white woman and an Asian guy. It's definitely less common, but they were both born and raised here in the Seattle area, which is somewhat different than the white guy/Asia-born female that I typically see. I think the fact that he was raised here makes a difference. I wasn't talking about what is happening in other cultures in other countries around the world, just what's happening here in the USA.

You might be right, maybe America is race obsessed, but I wouldn't know that because I'm too busy just enjoying what's out there: Positivity! Race is not an issue for me and it never has been. Maybe for that reason I have always had measurable success in multicultural relationships (platonic and not). We all have stereotypes as they are useful for understanding the world around us, but that doesn't mean you or anyone should let them draw the line on what's appropriate and acceptable and what's not. Your generalizations might be accurate to some degree, but they are NEVER applicable to the individual. I think this is where you get it wrong and why your multicultural relationships haven't worked out. Maybe you are too lazy to deal with the introspection required to deal with that and that's why you keep saying it's "not worth it". That's fine. Whatever. Just don't go around saying the same for everyone else.

The end. Time to respect the Seattle forum space.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:15 PM

323 posts, read 449,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A white woman dating a Latino man doesn't even necessarily mean "interracial", considering Latinos can basically be of any race... I have a friend from Mexico City who came here for college, speaks fluent English at this point, and married a white woman of typical American background. He's clearly more Spanish than mestizo in terms of ancenstry and at this point he's basically white with a slight accent.
Ditto. I think race is more of barrier to dating than whether someone is Hispanic or not. I don't see many south-of-the-border Amerindians or mestizo Hispanics with white women around here. If a white or black Hispanic doesn't have an accent, I probably wouldn't know they are. Discounting their specific attractiveness and popularity or not, I'm thinking a Marco Rubio, Ricky Martin or Emilio Estevez would have a better chance with white women than a Cesar Chavez, Felix Hernandez or David Ortiz.

Speaking of World Series MVP Ortiz, 83% of blacks in major league baseball are Hispanic.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac0117 View Post
I'm moving to Seattle in a month because of a good job offer, plus I want to escape the Chicago winters.

I'm a 30yr old Hispanic, well-educated, good personality and with a good career. I've heard Seattle is mostly white and coming from a culturally-diverse city like Chicago I wonder if the dating scene is any different than here.

Do white women in Seattle tend to stick to white men? Or are they open to dating other races?
Folks, this was the original query.

Why must we go off on tangents about interracial marriages, mixed children, dating in general (SEA or not SEA based)? Why does every thread regarding an interpersonal topic on the Seattle forum have to turn into this?

Please, before responding to a thread, make sure it is still on topic, and/or addresses the OP's original question.

OP, you will fit into Seattle just fine. Seattle doesn't have the racial hangups Chicago has. The answer to the last questions are "some do, some don't", which is the case everywhere.

Good luck.

Signed,
A fellow Hispanic who is turning 30 on Sunday, who is not well educated on paper, who has both an ostensibly dry personality, and an ostensibly good career.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Folks, this was the original query.

Why must we go off on tangents about interracial marriages, mixed children, dating in general (SEA or not SEA based)? Why does every thread regarding an interpersonal topic on the Seattle forum have to turn into this?

Please, before responding to a thread, make sure it is still on topic, and/or addresses the OP's original question.

OP, you will fit into Seattle just fine. Seattle doesn't have the racial hangups Chicago has. The answer to the last questions are "some do, some don't", which is the case everywhere.

Good luck.

Signed,
A fellow Hispanic who is turning 30 on Sunday, who is not well educated on paper, who has both an ostensibly dry personality, and an ostensibly good career.
Are you saying that this doesn't happen on your other forums???

Old 10-31-2013, 09:51 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Are you saying that this doesn't happen on your other forums???
No, it doesn't. In Los Angeles, which is a busier forum than this, we don't have these long, drawn out, over-intelligent conversations about women, men, people in general, interracial mixing, etc. Not to say they don't EVER happen, but in Seattle there's at least 1-2 going every week.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 PM

I think it's because the OP question is fairly easy to answer. The bottomline is, it depends. There are certainly some white women who'd date anyone regardless of race, and many who won't. The real thing he needs to do is come here, start dating, and see if his personality meshes with the temperament of the women who live in Seattle. And it really is a matter of how much of a pace he's use to. Probably aren't going to meet too many women in bars and clubs around Seattle. Also plan on where in Seattle he plans to date. May be tougher in downtown Seattle/North Seattle/Bellevue, may be easier when you go to south Seattle. Really all depends. I think the reason why it probably diverged is because his question was pretty much fully answered in the first 2 or 3 post in this thread.

Unless he's looking for a specific type of white woman of a specific class level, pretty hard to really answer the question earnestly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area