Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 11:22 AM

225 posts, read 385,954 times

Advertisements

I am always surprised at the number of smokers there are in our area. Especially younger smokers. Does this seem to be prevalent in Seattle too? I thought with Seattle being an outdoorsy, active area perhaps the smoking population would be small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 AM

510 posts, read 613,370 times
I don't know the stats for Seattle specifically, but Washington state generally ranks in the bottom 3-4 for number of smokers, only Utah and California consistently rank lower, so compared to the other 46-47 states there are probably less smokers here.

Of course, being in a denser urban environment can give the impression of a lot of smokers since there are just more people and smoke carries pretty far.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,939 posts, read 82,031,101 times
Because we have such strict laws on where you can smoke, it's hard to tell how many smokers there are. We have had the ban on smoking indoors and within 25' of any door for almost 10 years now, and since then several cities have banned smoking in some outdoor areas like parks. The general public will often complain and report people that violate this on a regular basis, while no one seems to mind the people that smoke marijuana in public.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:10 PM

337 posts, read 497,157 times
Whenever I walk downtown it seems like all I smell is cigarette smoke. I don't think that the 25 foot rule is observed most of the time as I see people leaning in doorways and lighting up. What I really dislike about tobacco cigarettes in particular is that the odor is very strong and it carries quite a distance, I don't think most smokers realize how strong and potent it really is. Breathe just a little bit of second-hand smoke in and you're congested for 30 minutes while your lungs try to do some damage control (at least I am, really annoying).

With the new relaxed demeanor toward marijuana I definitely see an increase in people lighting up outdoors, however the difference seems to be that cannabis smoke just isn't quite as toxic nor travel as far as tobacco smoke, not that i'd want to stand next to someone and breathe in a lung full of that, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: