Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The tech boom also brings in women, let's not forget. I never noticed an overabundance of men. Even if they were in the majority, it didn't make them any friendlier.
Ruth... Wherever you go in Seattle its men men men... When did you live here, in the 1980s?

The only place where women outnumber men is the U-District and that is because of the university. It always amazes me how many men I will see sitting at a bar, coffeeshop, club, etc.. It is like women in Seattle hide in their apartments with their ear buds with their face glued to a book or their laptop.

However, I have seen women in Seattle and they are fair looking ladies.. But, they are not the majority. On the other hand, I will say that the women in Seattle on average are more attractive than the men. I am amazed to see how much more fit and attractive the women seem to be than their male counterparts.. In cities like Boise, ID and even living in the North Country in Washington, the men are all big, muscular and tough and the women are a bit less attractive with more being overweight. Although there is beautiful ladies here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 02:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Ruth... Wherever you go in Seattle its men men men... When did you live here, in the 1980s?

The only place where women outnumber men is the U-District and that is because of the university. It always amazes me how many men I will see sitting at a bar, coffeeshop, club, etc.. It is like women in Seattle hide in their apartments with their ear buds with their face glued to a book or their laptop.

However, I have seen women in Seattle and they are fair looking ladies.. But, they are not the majority. On the other hand, I will say that the women in Seattle on average are more attractive than the men. I am amazed to see how much more fit and attractive the women seem to be than their male counterparts.. In cities like Boise, ID and even living in the North Country in Washington, the men are all big, muscular and tough and the women are a bit less attractive with more being overweight. Although there is beautiful ladies here too.
OK, you may have something there. I worked at the University, and lived in the U District, and later, farther north in Seattle. Out in those north neighborhoods, you don't notice an excess of men, either, except among immigrants. But on weekends, it always seemed like it was women who were out and about town in general. Women downtown and in Pike Place Mkt, women in the grocery stores, women everywhere. I don't know how it's possible men in Seattle have trouble meeting women. They're everywhere, especially on weekends! But you have to come out of your shell and actually talk to them, say hello. Make an overture. This is beyond many American men.

Certain coffeeshops/bakeries attract a mixed crowd, and are known for socializing. Others do seem to attract mainly men who are either unemployed, or work marginally employed. (The Starbucks in my neighborhood was dominated by young Middle-Eastern cab drivers who lived locally.) You have to know which coffeeshops to go to, to find the women and the social scene. It's kind of a niche thing.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:59 PM

11 posts, read 19,782 times
Quote:
OK, you may have something there. I worked at the University, and lived in the U District, and later, farther north in Seattle..
The person you quoted was saying the *exact* opposite of what you were saying...that the women in seattle are all glued to their phones, sitting inside.

When they do go outside, they emulate the men they find attractive and acts as brash and aggressive as possible. They then ***** about the patriarchy and how men should court them still to this day, because they're equal, strong independent women and no they are not going to initiate anything ever. But, you'll get your ear talked off about how strong and what leaders they are!

What a scene!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namenamecheck12 View Post
The person you quoted was saying the *exact* opposite of what you were saying...that the women in seattle are all glued to their phones, sitting inside.
That's why I told him there were coffeeshops that specialize in socializing, where there are more women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by namenamecheck12;
When they do go outside, they emulate the men they find attractive and acts as brash and aggressive as possible. They then ***** about the patriarchy and how men should court them still to this day, because they're equal, strong independent women and no they are not going to initiate anything ever. But, you'll get your ear talked off about how strong and what leaders they are!

What a scene!
I don't know any women like you describe. The women I know in Seattle are personable, have never uttered the word "patriarchy", and don't talk anyone's ear off. They're soft-spoken, some approach men, others don't, some are in creative fields, some are in academia, some are lawyers, but they're all open to meeting men, and they don't sit at home much, and don't wear ear buds much when they go out. You're really missing out, it sounds like.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 PM

555 posts, read 802,847 times
Ruth:
"I don't know how it's possible men in Seattle have trouble meeting women."

There are very few venues for meeting men and I haven't noticed much 'openness to meeting men' from the women here; except superficially. They seem to have the same character defects as the male population---passive-aggressiveness, not open to friendships, cliquishness: but to a lesser degree than the men. The kind of vibe I get from most women here is more like passive indifference; not overtly hostile to men but not open to them either.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:28 PM

Skidamarink:
LOL---they've already called me worse things than a troll.

The ratios are part of the problem, but it's interesting that some cities with ratios similar to Seattle's still have decent social environments. That's not the case here. Also bear in mind the statistics quoted by Travel and Leisure. Seattle ranks in the bottom 1/5 in categories like social venues, quality of people, and attractiveness. I think that's where the problem with the social scene here really lies: most Seattleites simply have no interest in building relationships with others.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 PM

Have you ever tried the neighborhood soccer leagues or the Mountaineers? A lot of LTR's and marriages have resulted from playing soccer together. Try volunteering to help during the film festival, or the street fairs, Bumbershoot, etc. Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity (I know single women who have done that). Go to art events, gallery show openings. Attend events at Elliott Bay Books or the U Bookstore. Finding women who are open to men isn't the hard part, imo. Finding one that's to your liking is another matter.

Hawk, aren't you moving to the Bay Area?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 PM

305 posts, read 449,859 times
Quote:
Have you ever tried the neighborhood soccer leagues or the Mountaineers? A lot of LTR's and marriages have resulted from playing soccer together. Try volunteering to help during the film festival, or the street fairs, Bumbershoot, etc. Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity (I know single women who have done that). Go to art events, gallery show openings. Attend events at Elliott Bay Books or the U Bookstore. Finding women who are open to men isn't the hard part, imo. Finding one that's to your liking is another matter.

Hawk, aren't you moving to the Bay Area?
Ruth, I hate to sharpshoot you, but most men are interested in football, beer, and fart jokes. The women you're describing sound like they're open to men that are interested in what women are interested in. See how that doesn't really work?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 PM

DP79:
I'm not sure if that's most men, but what you're describing is a consequence of the disproportionate ratios; same with the 'passive indifference' I mentioned earlier. Women here don't have to employ any especial effort to attract men---just being born female is enough---since there's really no competition for men here.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:30 PM

305 posts, read 449,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
DP79:
I'm not sure if that's most men, but what you're describing is a consequence of the disproportionate ratios; same with the 'passive indifference' I mentioned earlier. Women here don't have to employ any especial effort to attract men---just being born female is enough---since there's really no competition for men here.
Honestly, outside of Seattle, I'd say 80% of dudes are interested in those exact 3 things. The other 10-20% may be interested in some variation of those things, but inevitably "boys will just want to be boys". Except in Seattle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area