Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:17 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,086 times

Advertisements

To answer your question, yes, it's even more racist than ever. I bet no one would bake a cake for you. And the music is awful, like, Rush awful. All the white men still have awful beards and man buns. And bikes? Forget about it. Super white. Please don't come here.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:00 PM

305 posts, read 449,975 times
I think your real question is "Is Seattle any more diverse than it was 2 years ago?" And the answer is no, it is still predominately populated by white people who take pride in their acceptance of others... specifically other white people, gays included, and the handful of minorities that they know or have talked to at a party with an open, accepting mind (while of course making sure to give themselves a pat on the back on for being so accepting and announcing their acceptance to anyone within earshot that will listen).

So it's still the same, in that sense.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:12 AM

811 posts, read 1,146,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
islandcitygirl, respect! I must share with you that I think of this song whenever I see your posts, especially with this post topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhad3LnxApg
Homesinseattle, I completely enjoyed this. Thank you! Smiles and gratitude from a fellow food-loving globe-wanderer!

Old 07-08-2015, 12:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
I think your real question is "Is Seattle any more diverse than it was 2 years ago?" And the answer is no, it is still predominately populated by white people who take pride in their acceptance of others... specifically other white people, gays included, and the handful of minorities that they know or have talked to at a party with an open, accepting mind (while of course making sure to give themselves a pat on the back on for being so accepting and announcing their acceptance to anyone within earshot that will listen).

So it's still the same, in that sense.
I don't know if that's his real question. Seattle Proper is very white. But note that in the OP, he very specifically ask if the Seattle area is still racist; the metro area overall is closer to the national average statistically than the city. The attitude you're speaking of is definitely still in the city, and will most definitely stay that way... Away from Seattle Proper, the attitude gets diluted as there are more... normal people around. So, it could be he's asking if the area gotten more "diluted" than before.

Obviously he wants to hear from a non-white, non-Asian (more specifically "Oriental") perspective, but he's not going to get a satisfactory answer. I don't know if he's looking to move back to the area... But OP, if you didn't like it the first around, the odds are you're really not going to like it the second time around. Speaking from experience and generally, it seems all the negative issues from the first time is going to compound even more the second time around.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:58 PM

779 posts, read 927,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I don't know if that's his real question. Seattle Proper is very white. But note that in the OP, he very specifically ask if the Seattle area is still racist; the metro area overall is closer to the national average statistically than the city. The attitude you're speaking of is definitely still in the city, and will most definitely stay that way... Away from Seattle Proper, the attitude gets diluted as there are more... normal people around. So, it could be he's asking if the area gotten more "diluted" than before.

Obviously he wants to hear from a non-white, non-Asian (more specifically "Oriental") perspective, but he's not going to get a satisfactory answer. I don't know if he's looking to move back to the area... But OP, if you didn't like it the first around, the odds are you're really not going to like it the second time around. Speaking from experience and generally, it seems all the negative issues from the first time is going to compound even more the second time around.
When did I ever say that I didn't want to hear from Asians? And when did I ever say that I didn't like Seattle my first time around? You pulled a lot of assertions right out of your arse with this post dude....

Old 07-08-2015, 02:06 PM

332 posts, read 868,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Never felt like Seattle was particularly racist, but I can definitely see why a black or Hispanic person could easily jump to that conclusion and internalize those ideas. The city is shockingly white, which is unusual for a large coastal city. I have indeed come across racist whites, but they were usually blue collar ones from places like Auburn and Kent who were complaining about Asians or Jews.

After dealing with black nationalists in cities like DC, I'm hardly sympathetic to the black cause anymore.
The black cause?

Old 07-08-2015, 02:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
When did I ever say that I didn't want to hear from Asians? And when did I ever say that I didn't like Seattle my first time around? You pulled a lot of assertions right out of your arse with this post dude....
What are you yowling about then?

Old 07-08-2015, 03:05 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,661 times
Seattle is 17% more racist than it was two years ago.

However, that's not the whole story. Eighteen months ago it was actually 8% less racist than today's date two years ago, and was in fact 15% less racist on June 8, 2014 than June 8th, 2013. The trend reversed however, with Seattle of six months ago being 11% more racist than two years go, and then this trend continuing with today's figure of 17%.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:09 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Seattle is 17% more racist than it was two years ago.

However, that's not the whole story. Eighteen months ago it was actually 8% less racist than today's date two years ago, and was in fact 15% less racist on June 8, 2014 than June 8th, 2013. The trend reversed however, with Seattle of six months ago being 11% more racist than two years go, and then this trend continuing with today's figure of 17%.
This is my favorite.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:24 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,201 times
I think my friend here has a message for you all..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area