Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:49 AM

426 posts, read 2,322,205 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am an African American and I am considering moving to Seattle to relocate. I currently live in Atlanta and I never felt like a minority here. I am not bothered by the fact that Seattle is so overwelmingly white, I am just concerned about finding a community where I would feel comfortable. I have a wife and two school aged children. I would like to know if there are any affluent areas in Seattle comprised of a good sizable amount of African Americans. I would like my children to be able to identify with their own culture and I would hate to move to a city where people would equate being black with being poor. Is there an abundance of middle class or upper middle class residents in the Seattle area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 04:16 PM

454 posts, read 906,016 times
I think you will find a very healthy black population in most of the burbs around Seattle. To avoid most of the "poor black" stereotype you should avoid the central district or CD that is south east of down town Seattle.

This area is a heavy mix of mexican, aisian, Eastern, black and white. There are gangs no doubt, but on the adult side of things, we all get along pretty well.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:18 PM

753 posts, read 758,896 times
Hi,

Dufferz speaks truth. Seattle does have the Central District (or CD) which is notoriously underprivileged. But in spite of it's demographics you'll find Seattle to be a pretty darn tolerant place. Unlike some other big cities, you won't find a lot of the racial baggage that comes with moving to a non-ethnic neighborhood. Maybe your kids won't see a majority of people of their background, but I can tell you they'd probably not even notice.

And yes, with Microsoft, Boeing, Adobe, Getty Images, etc., there are plenty of successful AA folks around town. You could have you pick of neighborhoods and fit in nicely.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:53 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,205 times
Thanks guys. I'll be visiting the week after Thanksgiving. Hopefully I'll find it to be as open as you all report it to be.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:42 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,624 times
I used to live 4449 Renton Ave so. Just off MLK way So. That area is prodominintly non white. Actually the Nebiorhood I lived in is no longer there. It was called the Rainer Vista. The Crips and Bloods where very abundant in that area. They used to shoot at each other acrossed the main drag at night. Being 1 of 3 white kids in the area I learned how to fight and hold my own real fast. So that is an area you would want to avoid just on gang issues in genral. But the farther towrd the airport you go the better it gets or it used to anyway. My sister who still lives out there told me that You might want to try over by Kent. it is mixed races and not so crime ridden. But all in all anywhere in Seattle is fine the ppl out there are very liberal. They accept any and all. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 39,502 times
People having been giving very GENERAL answers to a very complicated question. The CD USED to be the hub of African American life. However, as more and more middle class whites move in AA are being pushed towards Renton and Kent. The Rainier Vista area is being gentrified as well although the Asian and Somoli population is strong. What I would do before you move is check out different areas and see which one you'd be comfortable in. Tacoma Washington has a very vibrant and strong African American life. It feels like Atlanta, DC and other Black hubs I've live in. What you find with many African Americans in Seattle is that they're just as fearful, suspicious and passive-aggressive as white folks are. My friends and I often observe the AAs that work at Amazon, Boeing and Microsoft but are scared of other African Americans. Sad but true. Please come and do some ground work before you move and you'll be happier. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 AM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
Hello all. I am an African American and I am considering moving to Seattle to relocate. I currently live in Atlanta and I never felt like a minority here. I am not bothered by the fact that Seattle is so overwelmingly white, I am just concerned about finding a community where I would feel comfortable. I have a wife and two school aged children. I would like to know if there are any affluent areas in Seattle comprised of a good sizable amount of African Americans. I would like my children to be able to identify with their own culture and I would hate to move to a city where people would equate being black with being poor. Is there an abundance of middle class or upper middle class residents in the Seattle area?
I am in a similar situation. I am also thinking about moving to Seattle, among many places.
I used to live in the Seattle area and I am African-American. My family was received nicely, and so was I. My dad worked for Boeing at the time. The reason my family left was because of the cost of housing. Seattle has an interesting history in regards to the African-American population. You have the Central District, which is where African-Americans have historically lived. Jimi Hendrix and Quincy Jones went to Garfield High School.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 39,539 times
I plan to relocate to Seattle and have been there many times. It is friendly and does not have "plantation history". If you love to explore and look at the beauty if nature and people of many backgrounds...this is the place. Get involved. Most of the U.S. unfortunately suffers from race preoccupation...Open your mind and your heart and teach your kids to do so also.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjyarbro View Post
I plan to relocate to Seattle and have been there many times. It is friendly and does not have "plantation history". If you love to explore and look at the beauty if nature and people of many backgrounds...this is the place. Get involved. Most of the U.S. unfortunately suffers from race preoccupation...Open your mind and your heart and teach your kids to do so also.
You have a point there. It doesn't have "plantation history". With that said, Seattle isn't perfect either. A look at the history can show that. On another note, it was voted one of the top 10 cities for interracial families.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Educated black people get along great in this city, because many white liberals are clamoring to have black friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area