Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM

6 posts, read 19,147 times

Advertisements

This is jeremy oleson agin i herd your moving from the ATL you have just herd rumors about seattle did u now there are over 300,000 african americans livivg in the seattle areas and tons of other different minorites. we got over 30,000 samalians and like 20,000 different kind of africans i cant spell very well but alot of them are erettrein and ethiopian. im not including this with the 300,000 trust me we have all african american schools if thats what u prefer but we have multi culterrol schools were there are so many differnt people it will make your head spin. its like a small new york or L.A theres lots of different people my cuzzin is afro american he moved hear from ATL he said he loves it hear way better he said he has never seen nothing like this before every body gets along. he said he would never move any ware ever agin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
I am African American living in Seattle. It amazes me how so many black people feel uncomfortable in their own skin in some regions of the country and worry about whether they will be accepted on the WEST COAST of all places! Of course you will be welcome in Seattle. No one cares. Neighborhoods are not self-segregated. People don't tell racist jokes at work. Racism will be the least of your concerns. Try worrying about the rain.
Yeah, I seem to remember you had a few concerns about racism or fitting in, when you were first moving to Seattle.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Renton, Federal Way, Kent, Lakewood, Central and South Seattle, the Hilltop area of Tacoma, Bremerton and Everett, among some others, will have notable to above average, if not high concentrations of Black folks and diverse neighborhoods. I think the location of the area in relation to where Black folks are concentrated in the US, has something to do with the questions. I don't think it is a matter of economics and you can find other types of people as such questions if they aren't familiar with people of their background in a certain area. That's all.
Quincy Jones lived in Bremerton for a bit, and then went to high school at Garfield High, which is in the Central District.

And it is also fitting to mentioned Bryn-Mawr-Skyway, the only majority Black(by a slim margin) suburb in the Seattle area.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLove73 View Post
just curious .. what areas did you live in while you were in seattle?
I lived on Capitol Hill, Mount Baker and the Central District. Loved living in the city. Everything was close by and I would walk to markets, coffee shops, restaurants, parks and if I wanted to use public transportation, it was always there.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 AM

6 posts, read 19,147 times
There are alot of african americans in king county i em african american. I was born in the bay area lived out side of oakland one of the most populated places in the country for african americans to live. I moved to seattle ime tellin you what ever percentage there saying on the internet on how many african americans reside hear they are wrong. I have been to the east coast , midwest , and all over down south . I have never seen any city like this. THIS is one of the most diverse places in the united states think about it every body who was sick of raceisim and all that other bull crap moved to washington state ime talkin every body. Dose Atlanta have somoins and tongin's well we have alot of different people East africans,laos people,cambodien,so on and so on. So dont worry theres not a day that goes buy ware you wont fill uncomfortable. Every day u will see thousandas of different races. I bet you will be callin back down to atlanta tellin people to pack there bags and move hear.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:37 AM

6 posts, read 11,161 times
I'll put it to you like this. Seattle is the worst place for someone who is African American ( did I say your going to want to go back to saying black American after you get done with the Africans in Seattle) and Educate that.hasany real pride. If you do have any real pride you would be appalled by the way somethings are here in Seattle . Everybody is going to be looking at you like you don't belong here even if they are from a foreign country. There are to many Gay people suburbs or not to be trying to raise a kid. The police here get away with unthinkable hell. I can tell the whole mentality a city like Seattle has is beneath you sir . Seattle is nothing more than a lure and potential nightmare for someone Black American.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM

100 posts, read 195,495 times
why are people soooooo hung up on race??
im white how would harlem treat me?? lol

get off the race thing, people are just that people

Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 17,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtxZombie View Post

Oh, I believe you're white and that's your reason for playing down this thread. You can't accept that White America's explicit anti-black sentiment has increased to 51% since 2008 (according to a 10/2012 AP poll). Are you so naive to think race isn't a factor in job placement, social/dating experience and overall happiness in a new city/environment? Get real.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtxZombie View Post

How would Harlem treat you? I don't know, but Harlem is something like 50% white nowadays.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealhustle View Post
I'll put it to you like this. Seattle is the worst place for someone who is African American ( did I say your going to want to go back to saying black American after you get done with the Africans in Seattle) and Educate that.hasany real pride. If you do have any real pride you would be appalled by the way somethings are here in Seattle . Everybody is going to be looking at you like you don't belong here even if they are from a foreign country. There are to many Gay people suburbs or not to be trying to raise a kid. The police here get away with unthinkable hell. I can tell the whole mentality a city like Seattle has is beneath you sir . Seattle is nothing more than a lure and potential nightmare for someone Black American.

Funny, every black person I know who's moved up here comments about how this is the least racist place they've ever seen. I'm half black and let me say, Seattle is the Yin to Oklahoma's Yang (never lived in Oklahoma, just visited briefly and it was awful)

No one has yet to look at me funny in my nearly three years here and people actually give minorities a chance when hiring. Interracial dating is everywhere and I see kids of different races actually playing together. And the police are pricks, I agree, but they are equal opportunity pricks. I would like to know where other than Seattle you'll have it better as a black person...

And what do you mean "to (sic) many many gay people suburbs or not to be trying to raise a kid"? How can anyone complain about racism, and then turn around and express homophobia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area