Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,913,013 times

Advertisements

This is so disappointing. The M's have the talent but apparently not the manager to make them great, or at the least, very good. Giving up 22 runs yesterday, (a club record), and a walk-off walk tonight just cements their 2015 standing. Last. Or 2nd to last. Shouldn't have happened. There is nobody more accountable than the manager in this situation. However, upper management needs to be held accountable as well. A season so promising now looking so dismal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:16 PM

737 posts, read 1,464,382 times
It makes it worse when a bunch of MLB "experts" picked them to win it all before the season started.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:01 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,092,552 times
If you're still watching the games you're enabling them. Give up completely, forget they exist.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,913,013 times
I' m not a fair weather fan. They should be vying for the AL West title right now, or at the least battling for a wildcard. Look for changes coming soon, or after the last regular season game.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:45 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,371,216 times
Last season the M's did much better than expected. They were expected to be mediocre, and missed the playoffs by one game. This year all the experts were predicting a pennant, and they'll probably win ten games less than last year. I'm not blaming McLendon. He's playing the hand he's been dealt. Zdurencik, on the other hand, ought to gracefully bow out.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:09 AM

116 posts, read 186,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Last season the M's did much better than expected. They were expected to be mediocre, and missed the playoffs by one game. This year all the experts were predicting a pennant, and they'll probably win ten games less than last year. I'm not blaming McLendon. He's playing the hand he's been dealt. Zdurencik, on the other hand, ought to gracefully bow out.
Agreed. People are always quick to blame the skipper, but how many of those have we already gone through this past decade? The common denominator here is Zduriencik. Yes, he's made his fair share of smart moves (Gutierrez, for example, was a great move; his health downturn probably couldn't have been foreseen), but it all goes back to his former cohort(s) evidently helping him lie his way into the M's decision-making process when he was hired. He does not have a background in analytics/sabermetrics, contrary to what was stated when he was the new guy in town.

I work a seasonal job for an Astros minor league affiliate, and it's quite clear that the extent to which the Houston organization has used modern analytics and sabermetrics has helped pay great dividends in turning a perennial loser into a fresh, young powerhouse. The M's could learn a thing or two from how the 'Stros front office runs things.

McClendon is the right man for this job. But again, the issue is the hand he's been dealt. This club needs a clean sweep of the baseball operations department, and fast. Canning McClendon a installing the hundredth manager in ten years is clearly not the answer to the M's problems.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,403,499 times
I like McLendon, but he is the one who decides which pitcher to put in when. When Rodney is called to the mound in the 9th with a lead (or tie) you might as well turn it off, the game is over and we lose. Remember Bobby Ayala? Very similar. Still, I blame Zduriencik and Lincoln. They have had way too many years to get things done and have failed.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,085,360 times
I think the Ms were in the toaster by the All-Star break, given Cano's lame bat and Nando's travails, so the question for the front office became how to get through the rest of the season without mass defections by the fans (and especially TV viewership/revenue). I suspect Rodney would already be enjoying the Nalley Valley were it not for the millions in "sunk costs" his salary represents, combined with the need to replace him with some no-name from the minors, or possibly some about-to-retire guy who would want even more (wasted) money.

I just see the next six weeks as another spell of Mariners Purgatory, to be followed by Jack Z, McClendon, most of the coaching staff, and several starters shopping their resumes. We know from past experience that after we've been hypnotized by the Seahawks for five months we'll have forgotten how we presently feel about the Ms, our memory wipe will be complete, and we'll all be talking about how 2016 is the comeback year. Never fails.

In the meantime I'd love to be a fly on the wall while Lincoln is talking to Japan. Obviously losing face is not an issue.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:41 AM

714 posts, read 749,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I' m not a fair weather fan. They should be vying for the AL West title right now, or at the least battling for a wildcard. Look for changes coming soon, or after the last regular season game.

Lloyd should already be gone. There are reasons he has never sniffed the playoffs and was out of work for several years before the M's desperately snagged him up. I believe his only winning season was the fluke that was last season...

Old 08-18-2015, 11:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
Lloyd should already be gone. There are reasons he has never sniffed the playoffs and was out of work for several years before the M's desperately snagged him up. I believe his only winning season was the fluke that was last season...
Alas, there will never be another Lou Piniella
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area