Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:45 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,970,309 times

Advertisements

I know if you work in IT, you can make a lot of money in Seattle. Is the job market robust in general, even for near minimum wage jobs and fields outside of the STEM world? Or are the majority of people in Seattle struggling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 05:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,482,676 times
https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/employme...area-summaries

Select "King County" from the drop-down and that will answer a lot of your questions.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:56 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
Taco Time is hiring, in Seattle, not just in the County.

Seattle CFOs Reveal Hiring Plans For Next Six Months -- SEATTLE, Sept. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

Quote:
"As job growth continues to push ahead in Seattle, we're seeing businesses work harder than ever to attract and retain top performers through competitive salaries and other perks," said Josh Warborg, district president for Robert Half in Seattle. "There is a particular need for candidates in the technology, healthcare and finance sectors, especially in accounting, where we see a high demand for both temporary and full-time professionals."
In other words, if you are a nurse, financial analyst, or accountant, come on over!

Old 09-10-2015, 10:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
As more and more people come here to accept the high paying jobs, there is an increased need for the minimum wage
people in the retail and service industries. With the higher minimum wage in WA and now Seattle gradually getting to $15, even the suburban fast food places are having to pay more to attract enough employees, our local McD advertising starting at $12. Can someone live on that here? No, not without roomates.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:16 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
$12/hr would be about almost $2,100/mo. Overtime might bump that up, say, another $300, or $2,400/mo. Assuming that 30% of income for rent is an antiquated relic of a more socially humane century (the last half, anyway), I'll go with 50%, which would allow $1,200/mo. for rent, which is somewhat doable, depending on what compromises (size, location, features) one is willing to make. Everything else would have to come out of the remaining $1,200, minus taxes.

While living in the burbs (Lynnwood and Federal Way) might save $300 or more on bottom-line rents, living without a car in the central city could save even more.

Could be done, but would need to scrimp. Health care benefits would be the big x-factor.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,080,684 times
Driving out of the city this Labor Day weekend there were hundreds of tents pitched under I-5. The areas under the freeway look like a giant camp ground that stretches on for miles. It's like nothing I've ever seen before, even in the depths of the 2008 recession.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Driving out of the city this Labor Day weekend there were hundreds of tents pitched under I-5. The areas under the freeway look like a giant camp ground that stretches on for miles. It's like nothing I've ever seen before, even in the depths of the 2008 recession.
I see those every day, and as bad as it looks, it's not nearly as many people as camped under the West Seattle bridge about 6 years ago. When I come into work in the morning I pass all of the street sleepers on the sidewalks and in the alleys, and that has remained pretty steady. I think they are just more spread out now, because according to the counts, the number is up 20% over 2014, despite a decline from 2007 to 2013. From those with panhandling signs and that I have actually spoken to, more of the increase is due to people coming here for the mild climate and lack of police attention than locals falling on hard times.

One Night Count

Seattle/King County: 3rd Largest Homeless Population In 2013 HUD Report | The Urbanist

Old 09-11-2015, 05:38 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,970,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
From those with panhandling signs and that I have actually spoken to, more of the increase is due to people coming here for the mild climate and lack of police attention than locals falling on hard times.
Ha, I doubt it. I mean, Seattle is warm in the winter time compared to places like Boston and New York, but I don't think the idea of sleeping in wet 37F weather (which is easily cold enough to kill you) is so appealing people are coming to Seattle in droves to experience it. Lack of police attention is only because the homeless population in Seattle is so huge, the abuse can be spread out over a large number of homeless people.

I think if they did a study they'd find a shocking number of homeless people in Seattle were born and raised in Washington state.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:58 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,080,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Ha, I doubt it. I mean, Seattle is warm in the winter time compared to places like Boston and New York, but I don't think the idea of sleeping in wet 37F weather (which is easily cold enough to kill you) is so appealing people are coming to Seattle in droves to experience it. Lack of police attention is only because the homeless population in Seattle is so huge, the abuse can be spread out over a large number of homeless people.

I think if they did a study they'd find a shocking number of homeless people in Seattle were born and raised in Washington state.
You're putting the cart before the horse. The lack of police enforcement is why the population is so large, not the reverse. Other areas simply do not allow the sort of street activity you see in Seattle. Certainly not the more conservative, law and order areas like Boston and NYC. They fine the crap out of people camping and getting high in public parks and if the fines aren't paid you either get out of town or go to jail.

They're not coming because the weather is great, they're coming because we don't enforce most of the laws other areas do to chase them out. Believe it or not, the services available here, while inadequate, are far more luxurious than most other cities, and the citizens here are progressive enough to look the other way.

Hawaii is a popular destination of course because of the weather, but Seattle is right up there due to the lifestyle options. Believe it or not, most cities do not allow people to camp in public parks. My BIL has an unofficial tent camp outside his apartment on Capitol Hill. His reaction was "this sh*t would never happen in Brooklyn".

Old 09-11-2015, 06:26 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I know if you work in IT, you can make a lot of money in Seattle. Is the job market robust in general, even for near minimum wage jobs and fields outside of the STEM world? Or are the majority of people in Seattle struggling?
I always wonder how the people (late 20s-30s) at Vertical World, REI (stores, not corporate), my hairdresser, and the QFC produce guy (late 50s) make it, but they all seem happy with their jobs and aren't homeless. The hiring signs outside UPS and Fedex have been up since April - I guess you can never have too many delivery drivers with everyone ordering from Amazon every other day. (The UPS truck and the FedEX truck drive down my street EVERY day between 8:45 and 9am) I saw my first Amazon Fresh truck yesterday in Redmond - whose packing all those grocery bags? The dog walkers at Marymoor are always having a blast with their "kids". I can't count the number of vehicles sitting on the new 520 bridge - where did all those construction workers come from and where are they all living/staying, eating? I know Mason Construction is based in Seattle so their crew is probably happy to be working close to home. There's so much building all over the city, I'm surprised there isn't a shortage of heavy equipment operators. Everywhere you turn someone's digging another hole for underground parking and another 4+ story building. The summer road construction season is still going strong. I think the best job would be the crane operators at the Port. Unless you're scared of heights. The addition of the cruise terminals in the past 10 years has added a whole other realm to "tourism". What do all those Duck Boat drivers do in the winter? Because of the trans-pacific flights and red-eyes to the east coast, the airport is crazy busy at midnight. I'm never picking up anyone from their 11pm flight - it's insane. I just paid a home inspector $800 (he was worth every dollar). People are constantly remodeling, upgrading, repairing all the 90s, 70s, and 50s homes (there's a lot of folks with equity in their homes) - people out here in the eastern hinterlands are putting pools in their backyards. Who knew there would be a market for summer "pool guys" in the Northwest. I knew the hot tub industry was alive and well. I went to Coscto today - how many people work at a single costco store? I counted 16 folks handling the lunch counter. I hear they treat their employees well (I really don't know). We can't get school bus drivers hired out here because it's only $21/hr for 4 hr days. (I know, not the greatest job in the world.) Our current driver is Russian - the kids love hearing him talk. He could be spouting profanities at them and they wouldn't have a clue.

That was my $1.40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area