Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 08:57 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Starting a company doesn't put you on top. The VC firms are mostly all white. There are a handful of Asian VCs, but it's mostly completely white dominated. And even if their are Asian VCs, the biggest and most influential ones are still mostly all white. Asians are not even close to the level of influence whites have in America, not even close.
BTW, have you heard? Google has announced a project to mentor Black techies in Oakland and support their startups. That sounds like exciting news, and long overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 12:34 PM

450 posts, read 550,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Issues? I have seen many Young Asians girls who date/marry white men who could pass for their father even grandpa at times. Saw it yesterday a Chinese girl with a guy who probably in his late 50s to early 60s and she was most likely 28-35 years old. When was the last time you saw an Asian couple who totally mismatched in age and looks. It does not happen.
puhleeeeze... that "Chinese" girl is likely not Chinese at all, but some Thai, Laotian, Filipina or other woman from a much poorer/developing Asian country.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:57 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,593,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
BTW, have you heard? Google has announced a project to mentor Black techies in Oakland and support their startups. That sounds like exciting news, and long overdue.

So what? It means nothing.

I can't stand diversity outreach programs in tech. For one it's insulting. Basically it's saying that black tech people aren't smart enough to make it on their own without assistance from someone else. And it's another situation where some other company picks winners and losers instead of the market. We have black tech people, and we have black engineers. There is no reason why all of these ingredients mixed together can't create a decent tech startup. The problem is that good black business men don't start tech startups. One will say it's due to a lack of capital and lack of funding. Which is fine, this is a good use case for blockchain tech. This way black people don't have to rely on banks.

I think the whole "Google as our savior" thing is just going to screw over the reputation of black tech professionals. I'm for one am against anyone solving black people's problems but black people.

Last edited by branh0913; 10-16-2016 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-16-2016, 03:40 PM

545 posts, read 412,052 times
35 miles north of the best city in WA...Tacoma.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,912 times
Quote:

I can't stand diversity outreach programs in tech. For one it's insulting. Basically it's saying that black tech people aren't smart enough to make it on their own without assistance from someone else. And it's another situation where some other company picks winners and losers instead of the market. We have black tech people, and we have black engineers. There is no reason why all of these ingredients mixed together can't create a decent tech startup. The problem is that good black business men don't start tech startups. One will say it's due to a lack of capital and lack of funding. Which is fine, this is a good use case for blockchain tech. This way black people don't have to rely on banks.

I think the whole "Google as our savior" thing is just going to screw over the reputation of black tech professionals. I'm for one am against anyone solving black people's problems but black people.
You'd enjoy this novel

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EGMQIJ0...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,334,027 times
Quote:

Sometimes such programs, and white liberals, remind me of that famous post-Civil War painting of that white women handing out books and "educating" the freed slaves. It's all another form of the White Messiah.

I'm not a white messiah. And that being said, I have no sympathy for black people in today's job market regardless of how real any discrimination may be.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:55 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:

It's about providing capital. Oakland is full of Black techies and engineers, and their startups, but they can't find capital. One of our regular posters here on C-D is involved in that, in fact. She said it's hard for them to access venture capital.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:45 PM

1,348 posts, read 708,307 times
dreary grey rainy drizzle

Old 10-23-2016, 05:49 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,328,077 times
Overpriced

Old 10-31-2016, 06:07 AM

11 posts, read 13,332 times
Wet, cold, windy, and nautical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area