Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:53 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times

Advertisements

Most of you guys take Seattle trashing so serious. Kuth is funny to me. Those what to do for 3 hrs in Downtown threads are h e l l of boring compared to his threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 10:59 PM

489 posts, read 964,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Most of you guys take Seattle trashing so serious. Kuth is funny to me. Those what to do for 3 hrs in Downtown threads are h e l l of boring compared to his threads.
Totally.
I haven't been to 100% of Seattle to know accurately what percentage is trashy.
Have any of us been to 100% of Seattle to know for sure the percentage?

-Mike

Old 10-21-2017, 11:14 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
And if this post made any logical sense I would comment on it. But unfortunately it doesn't. Perhaps putting words together in a meaningful way would encourage comment.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:39 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Yes Mike, I actually have .

Old 10-21-2017, 11:52 PM

638 posts, read 529,741 times
I think you are confusing tacky McMansions, stucco and uniformity with “nice”. Cities aren’t nice because people live in shiny boxes.

They are nice because of what happens between people.

If you want shiny boxes, move to Dubai. Very many shiny boxes. Also a fantastic slave trade but look at all that glittery glass amirite?

Now we know who buys those ugly honking cubes on the main streets in Bellevue, though beautiful ramblers and cottages can be found nestled in trees and between parks for less money per square foot, though they are highly sought after by locals who wouldn’t dream of living on a Main Street with all that traffic and noise. It is apparently people like OP who think that “nice” means a big shiny box.

And inside those boxes live people who love shiny boxes. But inside cozy wooden mid century homes live people who value subtlety, quiet, discretion, and public space more than cheap metrics like square footage.

You are right that if you measure by how many shiny boxes there are, Seattle comes out way behind. But then... who cares? At least it keeps out the undiscerning.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:07 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Neerwhal, I agree with most of your sentiments. "Character" homes attract characters, people who are a perhaps a little more connected to history, intentional living, community building. Let's not judge completely though, I've run into some pretty cool, interesting people who like shiny boxes. I've passed through Dubai a few times, as it sounds like you have. Yes, they do hold quite a few of their workers captive through sneaky work permit tricks, you must admit the architecture is pretty cool though. I doubt the OP is an urban chicken farmer or militant recycler .

Old 10-22-2017, 12:50 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
You have your "Seattle blinders" on.

I live near Ravenna.

Here's a corner on Ravenna:

Looks like it could be Flint, MI.

Greenwood? The "Land of many sirens," as it is called? I lived there too. One of the dumpiest areas of Seattle Proper.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about the residential neighborhoods. Obviously a "neighborhood" in the larger sense of the word seems nice if you live in a new apartment near upscale/trendy bars and restaurants.
Beautiful houses in that picture. Looks like a very nice, well kept and clean neighborhood to me, with some rustic and beautiful, well preserved homes. The only thing I notice is the broken and run down streets. Indeed, Seattle has some of the most inept city government in the country and despite a massive amount of taxes, they don't seem to fix basic utilities and roads in the city. However, there are many affluent and prestigious parts of Manhattan, San Francisco and other upscale urban neighborhoods that have poor and broken down streets. That doesn't always reflect on the neighborhood, itself, but rather the city government and its management of resources.

You will find neighborhoods in South Los Angeles. Phoenix, Las Vegas or some gritty and sketchy, crime ridden parts of Miami that will have nicer streets, but are drug and gang infested war zones.

Seattle is a bit of an old and gritty city and like Philadelphia, San Francisco, New York you will have older streets and some aging infrastructure. However, it doesn't necessarily reflect on the entire neighborhood.

If you think this neighborhood is trashy, then you probably grew up in a very new, modern suburban environment or a new age sprawl city like Orange County, Houston, Phoenix, Vegas, etc.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:53 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Here's a corner on Ravenna:
If you live near Ravenna, then you should know that's not in the Ravenna district, it's in the University District, a block from I-5.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:34 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
And if this post made any logical sense I would comment on it. But unfortunately it doesn't. Perhaps putting words together in a meaningful way would encourage comment.

Come on man you got to lighten up a little. Its good for your health.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:11 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
I think you have to be able to look at both sides of the story. Seattle is very competitive now, both for jobs and for housing, but, as anonymous1981 has proven, a person can still come to Seattle and survive. For someone like me, who has pets, Seattle would prove very confounding. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats - I could search for a job in healthcare and possible find one.

Really, we're in a microcosm of Seattle right now. I work for a very competitive hospital system in Wenatchee and we rent the lower level of a beautiful lodge on Lake Chelan in Manson. But Seattle is the city I was born in, I grew up in Edmonds. Seattle still has that allure of a beautiful coastal city (technically inland - one of my Wenatchee patients referred to the Seattle area as "the coast"...again) that has the ferry boats, smell of ocean water, kelp and marine wildlife and plant flora, etc.

Seattle is beautiful, and, they have the world's finest professional football team. Music is plentiful, Dick's Drive-In is still going strong, you can still hop a boat and go north. There is so much to love about Seattle. Talk above has me thinking about Ballard. Grandma lived in Ballard in a smaller white house. I remember her giving me 10 cents so I could walk over to Frank's Store for a popsicle. Down the hill about a mile or so was the locks. I loved Ballard as a kid. I don't know why it wouldn't be a good place to live now.

Anyhow, I can't trash Seattle, though I realize it's basically popping it seams with growth. And I sure like how well traffic flows in Wenatchee a lot better! Traffic in Manson and Chelan is a piece of cake.

And, I got the Kia Soul registered in Washington. I saved $24 by using the plates I got while we lived in Moses Lake in 2015 and the entire cost of registering the small Korean car was only $94. The absolute least painful car registration process ever, and it was done at a place in Chelan that sells cool older GM and foreign cars, as an added bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area