Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 05:53 PM

235 posts, read 269,861 times

Advertisements

Well two houses in my neighborhood that looked as though they hadn’t been lived in in years just got torn down, so maybe they hadn’t been lived in in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 11:40 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canamlian View Post
Well two houses in my neighborhood that looked as though they hadn’t been lived in in years just got torn down, so maybe they hadn’t been lived in in years.
Do you live around Roosevelt Square, by any chance? The two dumpy houses next to me just got torn down and, of course, an apartment complex is going up in their place.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:12 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,823 times
Default Seattle neighborhoods

Don't be so cynical and snide to KonaldDuth. Alot of us Gen Xer lifetime Washingtonians are reeling from the mass migration here, like wildebeests they are. Hey, I'm third generation Washingtonian, and daughter makes fourth gen. I think I understand what he's saying. At one time here in Seattle, everywhere was good and if there was a violent crime, it was shocking, because that **** just didn't happen here.
There was Skid Row downtown Seattle on 1st(?) 2nd(?), 1st & 2nd(?), but me and my mom used to see the winos sleeping in Pioneer Square on benches, and downtown had these sleazy fleabag broken down buildings they all stayed in, and that's where all the "bums" lived and where most of the "crime" originated.
Rainer Valley has pretty much always been what it is now. Does anyone remember the Happy Valley restaurant? Off the hook, not a place to go if you didn't live in the CD or in the valley.
So, some of us are still trying to balance what is with what was. Don't hate, especially transplants.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:34 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,082 times
I'm surprised a couple people have mentioned that there are only some nice areas here and that that you can find. Where is everyone looking?? I have lived here 8 years now, and I find nice areas EVERYWHERE. Yes there are some slightly run-down neighborhoods that you do see in places, but for the most part really nice neighborhoods with beautiful homes- whether they be old restored homes in Seattle proper or brand new looking developments in the suburbs- are everywhere! I see them every day- the north end, and pretty much all over the east side. Most are NOT covered in moss and looking rough- not even the developments that are decades old. People must never get out of just a few small areas!

And trashy cars parked in yards- on the east side? I haven't seen that anywhere on the east side or in Seattle proper. What the heck??

For the most part in my experience, driving around the Seattle metro area neighborhoods look nice and well-kept. There are some exceptions here and there, but overall it looks nicer and more upscale than many other metro areas I have visited or lived in.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:43 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
I'm surprised a couple people have mentioned that there are only some nice areas here and that that you can find. Where is everyone looking?? I have lived here 8 years now, and I find nice areas EVERYWHERE. Yes there are some slightly run-down neighborhoods that you do see in places, but for the most part really nice neighborhoods with beautiful homes- whether they be old restored homes in Seattle proper or brand new looking developments in the suburbs- are everywhere! I see them every day- the north end, and pretty much all over the east side. Most are NOT covered in moss and looking rough- not even the developments that are decades old. People must never get out of just a few small areas!

And trashy cars parked in yards- on the east side? I haven't seen that anywhere on the east side or in Seattle proper. What the heck??

For the most part in my experience, driving around the Seattle metro area neighborhoods look nice and well-kept. There are some exceptions here and there, but overall it looks nicer and more upscale than many other metro areas I have visited or lived in.

Oh, if you have money, Seattle is a fine place to live. If you don't mind stressful driving commutes, waiting in traffic and paying high amounts for real estate. Also, there are so many beautiful things ta see in Seattle. Safeco Field is gorgeous, as is Century Link Field. The Pike Place Market is a favorite of many, the old Monorail downtown is a treasure and it used to be my way of visiting downtown from the north end. I'd drive down to Seattle from Edmonds, Everett, Stanwood or Burlington and park at the foot of Queen Anne Hill. Then walk down the remainder of the hill and cross some busy streets (Mercer St. being one of them) and cruise over to the Seattle Center. The monorail is right outside of the old Food Circus. The fare was only a couple bucks and you can ride it to Westlake Center and get off there. Your walk to the Pike Place Market from there is minimal and easy. And interesting, too. Seattle's ferry system is unrivaled in America. So Seattle's good outweighs its bad by far.

Just bring your money.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:43 AM

768 posts, read 719,049 times
Maybe I wasn’t clear about my opinion of Seattle? I love Seattle & the surrounding areas. The natural scenery is beautiful all year. My point about any bad areas was I know they exist, but they’re still nice looking areas.

My neighbors said they didn’t water their lawns because it was too expensive. None of the schools in Seattle that I went to or drove by had green grass in the summer. Not a problem for me. I watered my lawn & paid a lot to do so.

I lived in Shoreline so I wasn’t in the “south end.” However, I have a relative who works out of the south precinct of SPD so I’m aware of the crimes that occur in that area.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:00 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Do you live around Roosevelt Square, by any chance? The two dumpy houses next to me just got torn down and, of course, an apartment complex is going up in their place.
"Roosevelt Square"? You're whining about changes to Roosevelt Square? There was no such place when I lived in Seattle, and I didn't leave all that long ago--in the 2000's. Where is it? What is it? (Yeah, I know--the Roosevelt District somewhere, but where?)You're complaining about changes to Seattle, when in fact, you're living in a development that is part of those changes! The more this thread drags on excruciatingly, the less sense you make, OP.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:07 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post

I agree, OP. There are nice neighborhoods everywhere; in fact, most of the city is pretty nice. Some neighborhoods are a bit bland, but not run-down. And yeah, I didn't understand the junk cars littering people's yards comment, either. There may be pockets of that, but most of the city's presentable, and decently-maintained, at least. In this respect, it's improved tremendously since its much earlier days, when parts of it were shabby. The OP's nostalgia for times past seems to be painting the shabbiness with rose-colored tints.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:00 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,823 times
I wanted to live at the top of the Space Needle when I was little. The Seattle Center is without a doubt the best neighborhood in Seattle. Everywhere else pales in comparison. Word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area