Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:48 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
If I were to take a map of Seattle and highlight which areas are actually "nice" -- meaning that the yards and home exteriors are maintained and sometimes it even looks like someone lives there -- it would be just a couple small areas:

* A few sections of Lake Washington Blvd
* A few sections of Magnolia
* Laurelhurst
* A few tiny sections on the West side of Sand Point Way
* A slice of the perimeter of Green Lake (the innermost row of houses on the Southeastern side)
* A couple blocks between Ballard and Phinney Ridge
* NE Ravenna Blvd between 17th Ave and 55th St

You need at least $10,000,000 to afford a house in those tiny areas, and the rest of the city is a complete dump. You don't realize it if you've been here for too long because your standards lower.
How long have you been in Seattle? I think you get accustomed to a certain style which I was accustomed to Texas style and when I first came to the PNW, I thought it looked a bit grungy (early 90's). I recently made a trip to Houston and a lot of that style of architecture there now looks either ostentatious or old fashioned to me now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 11:19 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,133,000 times
Seattle is nice by US standards and run down by European and Asian standards. This is the ugly truth. US cities are not as nice as developed European and Asian ones. They have many bad areas, appalling infrastructure, potholes on the roads and crime. In comparison, developed cities have amazing public transport, clean and safe streets and very few if any bad areas.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:14 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Would you consider Vancouver, B.C., a "developed" city, Botev1912?

Old 11-04-2017, 11:10 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Yes, I would say so Elk. We lived in Vancouver for 3 years. Quite different than Seattle, Vancouver has had downtown living for many years, resulting in well established in city neighborhoods like West End/English Bay. The restaurants, pubs and amenities nearby feel less contrived, more organic to the area. The cool buildings (including historic ones) and population density that has existed for many years adds to the flavor. The people who live in this area, if they can afford it, have super walks in Stanley Park, easy stroll downtown on Robson and quick access to Granville Island via the water taxi.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:23 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,133,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Would you consider Vancouver, B.C., a "developed" city, Botev1912?
Yes, Canadian cities are better than US cities in general. The nicest US cities are small suburbs that have low crime, good roads and high quality of life.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
OP has posted continually about dislike for Seattle. That is great, we have too many people moving here and apparently one of the big reasons for the high cost of houses is low inventory because no one is selling their houses. Perhaps the OP would be happier moving to a location better suited?

Seattle home prices are so high partly because barely anyone is selling, despite chance for big profits

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...r-big-profits/

Old 11-04-2017, 12:47 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
I was born and raised in Europe and I live in Seattle since 2002. Sure many European neighborhoods have more character and style (history and traditions is on their side) but that are quite trashy places in European cities as well.
What Seattle neighborhoods need is to take better care of their roads.....a problem that goes almost away as soon as you leave the city of Seattle proper.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Yes, Canadian cities are better than US cities in general. The nicest US cities are small suburbs that have low crime, good roads and high quality of life.
They are not nicer, simply they often take better care of maintenance (Road repaving and re-painting what needs to be re-painted)

Old 11-04-2017, 04:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Canada does have better cities on average...no US-type sprawlers or half-empty cities. Better density and transit, pound for pound.

Europe (and Canada) do have slums, just not as much since they tend to be more egalitarian vs. the US rich/poor emphasis, and the slums are generally not near the city centers.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:19 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I was born and raised in Europe and I live in Seattle since 2002. Sure many European neighborhoods have more character and style (history and traditions is on their side) but that are quite trashy places in European cities as well.
What Seattle neighborhoods need is to take better care of their roads.....a problem that goes almost away as soon as you leave the city of Seattle proper.
Seattle neighborhoods have bad roads? As a general thing? I'm not aware of that. It's not true of the neighborhoods I or my friends have lived in.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-04-2017 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area