Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times

Advertisements

Totems. It's not original, but it is all Seattle. Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Okay guys, i got it! Honoring the fighting culture of hockey and the PNW, the Sock-eyes! Could have an awesome logo, a fish with a black eye. I was thinking more like a "roided up" muscled fish, white t-shirt ( New Jersey style) with sleeves rolled up. Slicked back hair and the black eye. Haida artwork is not going to put fear in the heart of east coast teams.
I'd take that over Totems but I would love a sea monster.

Seattle's future NHL franchise name possibilities, ranked from Cougars to Kraken | NHL | Sporting News

Kraken, Whales Among 13 Names Registered by Seattle NHL Group | Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.Net News and Blog : New Logos and New Uniforms news, photos, and rumours

Old 12-04-2018, 09:13 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Kraken easily. I liked that logo of the bearded guy with the beanie, but I'd skip the Sonics colors.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:41 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Kraken easily. I liked that logo of the bearded guy with the beanie, but I'd skip the Sonics colors.
Somebody got very clever with the Kraken concept. Check this out, very cool:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=37_rbc...LY3CWS-fMH1XhA

Old 12-04-2018, 11:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Haha, yes, Seattle Freeze lol

Seattle Rain

Seattle Gates

Seattle Cascades

Seattle Techies

Seattle Orca's

Seattle Traffic

Seattle Bucks - Pun intended Starbucks!

Seattle Green

Seattle Fog

Seattle Jam

Seattle Grunge

Old 12-05-2018, 12:39 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
A name needs to be marketable over clever. The "Sockeyes" is in that clever category, but I admit it is pretty good for a hockey team! Seattle "Freeze" is also clever, but most around the country would have no idea what that means.

The " Metropolitans" is nostalgic, but for gawd sakes, we are talking about a team that existed a century ago, and though it won a Stanley Cup, was never in the NHL. And how soon would it be shortened to "The Mets"?

The "Totems" were a minor league team. Not sure we want to enter the NHL with that moniker and what it represents.

I do kind of like "The Cascades". Kind of a spinoff of "The Rainiers" in Tacoma, and retro in Seattle pre-Mariners baseball...or "Rockies" in Colorado.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-05-2018 at 12:47 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 01:52 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Somebody got very clever with the Kraken concept. Check this out, very cool:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=37_rbc...LY3CWS-fMH1XhA
Can't rep you again but I am so on board with this, it's perfect IMO which means it probably won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
A name needs to be marketable over clever. The "Sockeyes" is in that clever category, but I admit it is pretty good for a hockey team! Seattle "Freeze" is also clever, but most around the country would have no idea what that means.

The " Metropolitans" is nostalgic, but for gawd sakes, we are talking about a team that existed a century ago, and though it won a Stanley Cup, was never in the NHL. And how soon would it be shortened to "The Mets"?

The "Totems" were a minor league team. Not sure we want to enter the NHL with that moniker and what it represents.

I do kind of like "The Cascades". Kind of a spinoff of "The Rainiers" in Tacoma, and retro in Seattle pre-Mariners baseball...or "Rockies" in Colorado.
Agree, inside jokes like Seattle Freeze don't translate and Metropolitans will be Mets which says New York. Sockeyes is good but I like Kraken better because there's so much they could do with that. Cascades is overused and like Totems, is a big yawn marketing-wise.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:38 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times

Yes, but, and it's a big butt, nobody outside of Seattle sports is gonna know that the Totems were a minor league team. The Seattle Metropolitans won the Pacific Coast League title 5 times back in the 19-teens up until the 1920's. Earlier this year the Seattle Times polled fans of the new NHL team about team name choices. Here's how they came out:

1st place: Seattle Sockeyes (37,543 total votes)
2nd place: Seattle Totems (30,140)
3rd place: Seattle Metropolitans (24,859)
4th place: Seattle Steelheads (18,700)

Sockeyes won earlier with Totems a pretty close second place. I still like the name Totems. It just flows with Seattle like maple syrup down pancakes, baby!

Old 12-05-2018, 05:28 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
The thing with all of these fan made names and logos, some of which are really good I might add, is the potential to be sued (at least the logo part) down the road. If people remember the whole security guard and Baltimore Ravens logo lawsuit, where the guard said he actually created the original logo, used on the helmets, and the team used it without compensating him. Eventually, I believe he won in court and the Ravens ended up changing their logo to what it is today.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:49 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Yes, but, and it's a big butt, nobody outside of Seattle sports is gonna know that the Totems were a minor league team. The Seattle Metropolitans won the Pacific Coast League title 5 times back in the 19-teens up until the 1920's. Earlier this year the Seattle Times polled fans of the new NHL team about team name choices. Here's how they came out:

1st place: Seattle Sockeyes (37,543 total votes)
2nd place: Seattle Totems (30,140)
3rd place: Seattle Metropolitans (24,859)
4th place: Seattle Steelheads (18,700)

Sockeyes won earlier with Totems a pretty close second place. I still like the name Totems. It just flows with Seattle like maple syrup down pancakes, baby!
Well, in the past the wild life names have been chosen and have been very successful while big business names have flopped.

The SuperSonics name came from Boeing. The Seattle Seahawks got their name from peninsula highschool in Gig Harbor Washington. They got their name from a bird local to the area called an osprii (spelling?). So the seahawks asked if they could use the mascot and they did.

Last edited by 41Willys; 12-05-2018 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area