Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 09:45 PM

405 posts, read 395,238 times

Advertisements

Really hope it's Kraken. It would instantly be the most unique and badass name in pro sports. There are already some concept designs out and it looks amazing. You don't often get the chance to name your team after a giant, mythical, ship-destroying octopus so we should take it. It also ties in well locally because the Giant Pacific Octopus is native to our surrounding waters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 11:14 PM

235 posts, read 269,987 times
I kept thinking Kraken was a tongue in cheek suggestion, but no, people are serious about it. Would be the one of the worst names in all pro sports imo.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:18 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,134,850 times
That's a terrible name, hope it doesn't happen. I like the Emeralds.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:25 PM

162 posts, read 155,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Seattle Freeze! LOL
That would actually be a great name. As a non-sports fan in MSP, I'm shocked you guys don't have a hockey team, though now I realize I've never heard of the Seattle NHL team...

Have you guys been cheering for the Canucks this whole time?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:13 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Really hope it's Kraken. It would instantly be the most unique and badass name in pro sports. There are already some concept designs out and it looks amazing. You don't often get the chance to name your team after a giant, mythical, ship-destroying octopus so we should take it. It also ties in well locally because the Giant Pacific Octopus is native to our surrounding waters
Never happen. Its a stupid name. Sounds like a street drug. Just sayin.....

Old 12-06-2018, 12:15 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatOn View Post
That would actually be a great name. As a non-sports fan in MSP, I'm shocked you guys don't have a hockey team, though now I realize I've never heard of the Seattle NHL team...

Thats a good question. Im sure its not the Kings. Who do the locals mostly cheer for in the NHL?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:40 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatOn View Post

No. There is little interest in the Canucks in Seattle. But this appears to be changing pretty quickly with the latest announcement. This should become a great rivalry, and one that the NHL considered in granting Seattle an expansion team. I can see rivalry's with the LA Kings, and the San Jose Sharks...keep in mind we are two seasons away from Seattle entering the league.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:25 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Of the 13 names, I like the Emeralds best, followed by the Renegades.

My first thought was the Seattle Grunge.

The Seattle Kraken is funny, but would be even more ridiculous than the Toronto Raptors.

The Seattle Seals has good alliteration, both within itself and with the Seattle Seahawks, but considering one of the team's biggest rivals would be the San Jose Sharks, it just wouldn't work well, because Sharks are predators and Seals are prey.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:24 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canamlian View Post
I kept thinking Kraken was a tongue in cheek suggestion, but no, people are serious about it. Would be the one of the worst names in all pro sports imo.
I now you meant major league pro sports, but don't forget that affiliated minor league baseball and hockey are also professional, instead of amateur/college, and boy there are some pretty crazy/horrendous names in those leagues, like Trash Pandas, Sod Poodles, Baby Cakes, Jumbo Shrimp, Vibes, etc. But I agree Kraken would be a one of the worst in the major pro leagues.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:32 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Of the 13 names, I like the Emeralds best, followed by the Renegades.

My first thought was the Seattle Grunge.

The Seattle Kraken is funny, but would be even more ridiculous than the Toronto Raptors.

The Seattle Seals has good alliteration, both within itself and with the Seattle Seahawks, but considering one of the team's biggest rivals would be the San Jose Sharks, it just wouldn't work well, because Sharks are predators and Seals are prey.
Kraken is bad but Emeralds is good? Emeralds? Renegades sounds generic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area