Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 09:43 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times

Advertisements

With the protests and Covid... not sure I plan to stay in the city. I had already been considering buying in Tacoma next year but if I can work remotely two or three days a week I might look into the Olympia or Bellingham area. I don’t approve of the way the mayor or the council has handled these protests and I feel like the social climate here has become very toxic in the past several weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 11:53 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It was such a "peaceful" hippy commune that what, 2 people were murdered, 3 shot, and an unknown number of women raped? Businesses smashed and looted. Disgusting, racist graffiti on nearly every building. F the police everywhere. A bloody police precinct trashed by the filth? All with the tacit approval of the pathetic excuse of a mayor and city council.
I walked thru it multiple times. Did you? It was completely peaceful at least when I was there. I'm not saying I agree with the CHAZ at all- I definitely don't and overall I think it was pretty stupid and filthy, and a shame that previously vital and inspiring protests turned into that place, but, the Tucker Carlson apocalyptic spin on it was mostly nonsense, from my own first hand experience of it, multiple times being there. Yes there were a couple of violent incidents, but, it was there like an entire month. So things could have been worse. And again, I didn't understand the point of the CHAZ, and ultimately felt it was a sad self-defeating end to the civil unrest. But, there was a ton of ridiculous spin about it- it was not chaos at all. It was a chill tent thing.

And what do you mean "racist graffitti"? It was the opposite, it was a ton of thoughtful graffitti that was about remembering people murdered by schoolyard-thug police officers, who think African-Americans are not people but animals that they can abuse. It was Black Lives Matter, and pictures of George Floyd. And F the police, yeah. Because, indeed, F the police.

Public safety needs a complete overhaul. It needs to be the community and not against the community.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:11 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Seacove is getting his or her wish.

https://komonews.com/news/local/loca...oosing-to-move

Old 07-22-2020, 02:47 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Seacove is getting his or her wish.

https://komonews.com/news/local/loca...oosing-to-move
It’s sad that it has came to this... All the chaos, drugs, the homeless people with mental issues and now, the lack protection from the “evil and racist” Seattle police.

I’m hoping that Seattle will somehow balance out the QoL issues and do it soon before it’s too late.

Yes, I’m very critical of Seattle’s leadership... From the mayor to every single individual on the city’s clowncil since they’re doing their best to, in no other words, destroy Seattle. It will not hurt the rich if say, Amazon leaves Seattle with more and more employers... Hopefully to the other local suburbs of Seattle, to at least keep the money in the region. But that move would only hurt the Middle Working-Class the most, since moving isn’t that simple to many, for various reasons.

Seattle can be saved, but to do this, it takes actual leadership starting with the mayor’s office to come out with a realistic plan for the future... No more BS talk of “thinking” of doing something, but doing something to show people AND businesses that REAL change is coming.

But the ball is now with the people who live in Seattle and what they do/don’t do next is on them.

It’s sad that most everybody I know that still lives in Seattle isn’t thinking about what “positive” thing is going to happen next, but instead is wondering what will be the next disaster they will have to deal with... Everybody is thinking that the next explosion will Happen in November.

Hopefully, Seattle isn’t thinking that ALL of King County needs to increase their property taxes to bail out Seattle from its own self inflected disasters.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:48 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
It’s sad that it has came to this... All the chaos, drugs, the homeless people with mental issues and now, the lack protection from the “evil and racist” Seattle police.

I’m hoping that Seattle will somehow balance out the QoL issues and do it soon before it’s too late.

Yes, I’m very critical of Seattle’s leadership... From the mayor to every single individual on the city’s clowncil since they’re doing their best to, in no other words, destroy Seattle. It will not hurt the rich if say, Amazon leaves Seattle with more and more employers... Hopefully to the other local suburbs of Seattle, to at least keep the money in the region. But that move would only hurt the Middle Working-Class the most, since moving isn’t that simple to many, for various reasons.

Seattle can be saved, but to do this, it takes actual leadership starting with the mayor’s office to come out with a realistic plan for the future... No more BS talk of “thinking” of doing something, but doing something to show people AND businesses that REAL change is coming.

But the ball is now with the people who live in Seattle and what they do/don’t do next is on them.

It’s sad that most everybody I know that still lives in Seattle isn’t thinking about what “positive” thing is going to happen next, but instead is wondering what will be the next disaster they will have to deal with... Everybody is thinking that the next explosion will Happen in November.

Hopefully, Seattle isn’t thinking that ALL of King County needs to increase their property taxes to bail out Seattle from its own self inflected disasters.
King County has enough money if they stop sending $3 billion a year to 33 other counties in the state because those counties can't pay their own bills.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:14 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I wonder if the OP has changed his mind about moving to Seattle. OP chose the area due to the building boom, I think--his being in the construction trade, and needing steady work and all. I wonder if Tacoma would be a good alternative...?

Let's not forget about the OP.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:18 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
King County has enough money if they stop sending $3 billion a year to 33 other counties in the state because those counties can't pay their own bills.
WHy stop at the county level?

A few streets/addresses/zip codes have enough money if they stopped sending the rest of King County money because they cannot support themselves.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:26 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
WHy stop at the county level?

A few streets/addresses/zip codes have enough money if they stopped sending the rest of King County money because they cannot support themselves.
Because the 33 counties getting King County's money are receiving it at the county level. And King County's money comes from numerous sources including property taxes of all property owners in King County.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:04 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
https://www.king5.com/mobile/article...7-adb131ac9d8d

More lunacy from the woke tolerant types

Old 07-22-2020, 11:09 AM

439 posts, read 423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The rest of the state may ignore Seattle but they sure like taking the $3Billion a year Seattle gives them because they can't pay their own bills and they need King County's tax money to do it.
I know this was in all the rags a while back but I have yet to see the report.

Go ahead and link the OFM's data- complete with fund and enterprise balances and uses for the last two years reported.

Then, and only then, can we talk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area