Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 11:43 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times

Advertisements

So is that a no? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 12:41 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
OP, this is the new Seattle and it’s even going to get worse.

I mind my own business and carry a 9mm pistol when I’m forced to go inside Seattle’s city limits.

The mayor and the entire city clowncil are a joke AND still believe that everything is fine and that they’re still in control... What a freaking joke these people are.

To be honest, I felt safer in NYC back in the early 90s than I do in Seattle now.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:49 AM

243 posts, read 228,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post

I mind my own business and carry a 9mm pistol when I’m forced to go inside Seattle’s city limits.

The mayor and the entire city clowncil are a joke AND still believe that everything is fine and that they’re still in control... What a freaking joke these people are.

To be honest, I felt safer in NYC back in the early 90s than I do in Seattle now.
First thing I’m gonna do is get a ccw after I move. Atleast the state level politics arent complete **** yet.

In California you have to write a letter to the head county sheriff pleading your case on why you need one and very few are approved each year. Absolutely unconstitutional. F—— this failed state. I don’t care how much I love SD. It’s down right borderline communist.

Where does it say In the constitution I have to get on my knees and beg the all great lovely California politicians to let me conceal carry for my safety. I’m not a criminal and I did time in the service so I know how to properly handle a firearm.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:18 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It's not the tax burden. It where the taxes go. I want my taxes to go to my own community, to make my own community better. Not send the taxes to 33 other counties that insult the people giving them billions of dollars out of their own pockets.
Then don't even consider moving to NJ.

They redistribute other people's money like it's going out of style.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:30 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:

Bergun, please come over to our Madison Park neighborhood (or substitute Madrona, Leschi, Queen Anne, Phinney Ridge, Bryant, Maple Leaf, Madrona, Arboretum, West Seattle, Laurelhurst, Montlake or many other places), I’ll walk you around and you can see how many of us live completely in peace. It’s important, as it is in many cities, to differentiate between quiet neighborhoods and a few urban spots that you might want to avoid. To paint the whole city with one broad brush stroke shows very limited understanding of what it is like here.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:18 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Hey, Homesinseattle,

Without question, there are good neighborhoods in Seattle, but my family and friends are clustered in Rainier Valley, Empire Way (MLK), South/Center Beacon Hill, East Capital Hill/23rd Avenue and East of the International District, up Jackson street. I’m basically a “South Ender,” where I was born and raised.

I also, tend to go downtown for the Pikes Place Market, the Capital Hill area for my favorite style of pizza and the the SoDo area for my LP, CD and DVD “fix.”

Funny that you mentioned the Madison Park area area cuz later today, I have to take my ex mother-in-law (A long story!!) there today.

Without doubt, Seattle still has several nice neighborhoods, but in the other half of the city, things are changing for the worst, to include most of the downtown areas. My issues with Seattle is that “things” could be totally different if we had effective city leadership, that focused on all the QoL issues that would basically help out the average person, especially the Working Class families that cannot afford to live in one of those prime locations within Seattle.

I’m not the only one in my family that has seen things taking a turn for the worse... My first ex-wife (A even longer story!!) is very liberal with her views, but still a good friend, now wants me to show her how to shoot, help to pick out the right pistol for her and explain the conceal weapons permit process. She has always been anti-gun in her beliefs, but those views have changed since the beginning of this year... After several close calls where she was on the verge of being a victim of a violent crime. Another family member that now lives in Renton, also very liberal in his views, asked for my thoughts on the AR-15 he was buying... And he’s a retired SPD cop.

So, with that said, many of my family members have seen the changes in Seattle and to be honest, nobody that “I” know can say that any of the resent changes have been positive. I’m not saying that Seattle didn’t have a violent streak back in the past, which it did, but even with that said, we still had a level of Law and Order that everybody knew that had to be respected. But, today, that line of respect is now gone and to be honest, if people think that defunding the police or simply doing away with police will make Seattle safer are seriously delusional... Now that SPD has basically been placed into a box by the city’s leadership, Seattle is now experiencing a spike in violent crimes, which will only raise. And sooner or later, the safer neighborhoods will see a spike in violent and property crimes as well.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:21 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:
Hey, Homesinseattle,

Without question, there are good neighborhoods in Seattle, but my family and friends are clustered in Rainier Valley, Empire Way (MLK), South/Center Beacon Hill, East Capital Hill/23rd Avenue and East of the International District, up Jackson street. I’m basically a “South Ender,” where I was born and raised.

I also, tend to go downtown for the Pikes Place Market, the Capital Hill area for my favorite style of pizza and the the SoDo area for my LP, CD and DVD “fix.”

Funny that you mentioned the Madison Park area area cuz later today, I have to take my ex mother-in-law (A long story!!) there today.

Without doubt, Seattle still has several nice neighborhoods, but in the other half of the city, things are changing for the worst, to include most of the downtown areas. My issues with Seattle is that “things” could be totally different if we had effective city leadership, that focused on all the QoL issues that would basically help out the average person, especially the Working Class families that cannot afford to live in one of those prime locations within Seattle.

I’m not the only one in my family that has seen things taking a turn for the worse... My first ex-wife (A even longer story!!) is very liberal with her views, but still a good friend, now wants me to show her how to shoot, help to pick out the right pistol for her and explain the conceal weapons permit process. She has always been anti-gun in her beliefs, but those views have changed since the beginning of this year... After several close calls where she was on the verge of being a victim of a violent crime. Another family member that now lives in Renton, also very liberal in his views, asked for my thoughts on the AR-15 he was buying... And he’s a retired SPD cop.

So, with that said, many of my family members have seen the changes in Seattle and to be honest, nobody that “I” know can say that any of the resent changes have been positive. I’m not saying that Seattle didn’t have a violent streak back in the past, which it did, but even with that said, we still had a level of Law and Order that everybody knew that had to be respected. But, today, that line of respect is now gone and to be honest, if people think that defunding the police or simply doing away with police will make Seattle safer are seriously delusional... Now that SPD has basically been placed into a box by the city’s leadership, Seattle is now experiencing a spike in violent crimes, which will only raise. And sooner or later, the safer neighborhoods Will see a spike in violent and property crimes as well.
I don't disagree with you but there are also a number of mellow neighborhoods on the South End: Seward Park, Mount Baker, Rainier Beach near the lake and most parts of Colombia City. I've had clients move to all this places and do just fine. I'm just making the point that there are good spots and not so good spots in any city. Sorry your area is having a tough time.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:55 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
The FBI crime numbers do not support the misconception that Seattle is more dangerous now. Seattle is much safer now than in the early 90s when I first arrived on Capitol Hill. Anecdotes and personal paranoia simply do not describe reality for most people here.

Crime in Seattle is down dramatically compared to the late 80s/early 90s.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...e-80s-and-90s/

Puyallup, Tacoma, Shelton, Spokane, and Tukwila are the five most dangerous cities in Washington state. Port Orchard has a higher crime rate than Seattle.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...safest-cities/

Nationally Seattle is in the middle of the pack (51st) among the 100 most dangerous cities having a population >100,000. Seattle does not appear on the lists of 100 cities, either large or small, experiencing increased crime rates. The data from this site are drawn from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting database:
https://www.alarms.org/top-100-most-...es-in-america/

Old 07-21-2020, 12:12 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I don't disagree with you but there are also a number of mellow neighborhoods on the South End: Seward Park, Mount Baker, Rainier Beach near the lake and most parts of Colombia City. I've had clients move to all this places and do just fine. I'm just making the point that there are good spots and not so good spots in any city. Sorry your area is having a tough time.
Seward Park has always been a wealthy enclave in the South End. Beachfront neighborhoods--ditto. Note Madison Park, located on the west end of what used to be a rough Central District. In Seattle, the view side of hilly areas (west side of Madrona, vs. the no-view east side (in the old days), Seward Park, vs. Rainier Valley, Leschi vs. CD, it was a pattern, before all real estate in Seattle became high demand, high-price, and the low-rent people in the valleys and other less desirable areas got pushed south, some of them--all the way to Tacoma. To describe Seward Park as "mellow" is like saying Laurelhurst is "mellow", or Santa Monica. Sure, if you have enough money, you can buy your way into a neighborhood, that has always had the qualities of a gated community, but without the gates.

I hope the Seattle City Council isn't taking the same approach as the Berkeley City Council, which recently floated the idea of having regular citizens take over traffic arrest detail. "Defund the police' isn't about literally defunding the police willy-nilly, just to say "we defunded our police by X percent".

It's about re-conceiving police work, perhaps re-training the police (away from thinking that guilty and innocent come in neatly color-coded packages), and re-assigning some non-crime-related duties ("wellness checks", for one thing) to other entities. Re-training has actually been going on for around 20 years or so, roughly. There's some kind of organization, that's been going around the US giving police seminars & training, on how to better handle cases involving handicapped individuals, including the homeless. Police tend to escalate situations, and have no way of switching gears, if they're shouting commands to someone who's deaf or otherwise unable to respond in a normal way. So this training provides an alternative m.o., and a way to evaluate a situation, when choosing a response method. This is just one example of what the "Defund the Police" slogan encompasses. Currently, that training is voluntary, with individual precincts requesting it, or a city requesting it. It should become mandatory, a standard part of police training.

"Defund the police" needs to be done intelligently and thoughtfully, not in a blind, knee-jerk fashion.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:14 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
The FBI crime numbers do not support the misconception that Seattle is more dangerous now. Seattle is much safer now than in the early 90s when I first arrived on Capitol Hill. Anecdotes and personal paranoia simply do not describe reality for most people here.

Crime in Seattle is down dramatically compared to the late 80s/early 90s.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...e-80s-and-90s/

Puyallup, Tacoma, Shelton, Spokane, and Tukwila are the five most dangerous cities in Washington state. Port Orchard has a higher crime rate than Seattle.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...safest-cities/

Nationally Seattle is in the middle of the pack (51st) among the 100 most dangerous cities having a population >100,000. Seattle does not appear on the lists of 100 cities, either large or small, experiencing increased crime rates. The data from this site are drawn from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting database:
https://www.alarms.org/top-100-most-...es-in-america/
I got a paywall, when clicking on your Seattle Times link. Could you briefly summarize how/why Seattle is safer now than it was back in the 80's/early 90's? What changed? What was going on then, that isn't going on now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area