Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 02:16 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,425,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
And the views are awful , no horizons as far as the eye can eye which lifts the sprits.
I don't know where you live in Seattle, but I can clearly see the Olympics in the horizon at least half the week every week between October and March. There's plenty of horizon to enjoy. Even in the middle of winter, the sunrises and sunsets are often dazzling, as well as the fog pattern over the sound.

I've noticed there are two types of people in the PNW: those who curl up in their homes all winter and hibernate, and those who still go out even in the drizzle and have their kids jump in puddles. The ones who do the latter tend to notice that it's not all grey, cloudy and depressing all winter.

Own photo from Jan 2021. Typical horizon even on a mostly cloudy day in the middle of winter.

And on the few weeks where it's truly been raining and cloudy all week, we go up the mountains and play in the snow.

Last edited by Guineas; 02-07-2021 at 02:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 08:02 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
Guineas your pics are amazing.
I too think that people that hibernate are missing out but people are people and we are all different.

Right now it’s 6:35 am and it is still dark as hell where we are at.
Maybe it’s the trees?

I moved here for the weather, nature and family.

My only minuscule gripes are the day light hours and the king tides, to be honest I don’t care for those 2 items.

I am just not a fan of an extremely early or a late sunset or sun rise.
I had to install “black out” window treatments so it is dark before before it really is.

The king tides are a *****.
I don’t like them at all.

Temperatures and weather wise I fully embrace this area.
Best weather ever in my opinion.

OP I hope you fair well.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:31 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,952,269 times
I am in a couple of months going to see if a region along the Texas/Mexico border is where I want to live next.

I have been there once this time for a reality look as in particular neighborhoods.

Last edited by 87112; 02-07-2021 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-07-2021, 08:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks, but I wasn't posting to you. I'm really curious as to where the OP lives (or works) in the Seattle area, that there's "mud everywhere", and moss growing on sidewalks.
Maybe on the north side of Queen Anne, next door to a construction site. There is a lot of moss on the sidewalks and steps leading up to the shopping district. The north side of any older home will have moss on sidewalk and foundation.

Possibly the op is working construction everyday, digging ditches. Maybe an active gardener, or grounds maintenance. Perhaps a trash collector maneuvering wet and mossy sidewalk carrying heavy loads. Could be walking their dog in a shaded park with dirt (mud) paths. Or many other very likely scenarios.

Speaking as truth,

There are countless ways to daily encounter mud and moss everywhere in western washington, even within Seattle metro.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-07-2021 at 08:41 AM..

Old 02-07-2021, 08:46 AM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
My wifey and I tossed on wool sweaters and beanies yesterday, took the dog for a nice walk around the Seward Park loop, hundreds of people out doing the same thing. Mt. Rainier was in the distance, Lake Washington all around, really pretty.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:17 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
My wifey and I tossed on wool sweaters and beanies yesterday, took the dog for a nice walk around the Seward Park loop, hundreds of people out doing the same thing. Mt. Rainier was in the distance, Lake Washington all around, really pretty.
I hosted a beekeeping meeting in my open-air shed. Later, we went for a walk around downtown. Both in Renton, not Seattle proper. We dodged rain showers that occasionally swept through the area, but we couldn't avoid the wind. We've had better winter days and I look forward to them.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:31 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I am in a couple of months going to see if a region along the Texas/Mexico border is where I want to live next.

I have been there once this time for a reality look as in particular neighborhoods.
March/April is a lovely time to visit south Texas, but have you made an extended visit over end of June, through July, August and September?

Whereas the advice for prospective transplants is to visit during the gloom and doom of the Seattle winter the advice for living in Texas is visiting during the sizzling and steamy summer.

I had about 20 something of those and I don't intend on having anymore.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:03 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,952,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
March/April is a lovely time to visit south Texas, but have you made an extended visit over end of June, through July, August and September?

Whereas the advice for prospective transplants is to visit during the gloom and doom of the Seattle winter the advice for living in Texas is visiting during the sizzling and steamy summer.

I had about 20 something of those and I don't intend on having anymore.
It's in the far western portion Texas, no humidity to speak of. Makes the blistering summer tolerable. Very close to where Elekrontics is at.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:37 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
FSM,
Bees are cool.
Bee clubs are very cool as well.
I just love being a bee keeper.
I think you will enjoy this adventure.

We don’t have any mud here.
Our property has a very long natural type driveway.
Nothing is paved and there is no concrete here
That said we take our shoes off when we enter the house.
I was just raised that way.

I don’t know how to address your unhappiness.

There is fishing, gardening, hiking, site seeing, good eating, and a whole lot of other things to do.

Honestly I am just in awe about the different choices we have.

I say these things as a person that has been coming here for near 40 years to go diving and to spend time with my family.

OP If some of these things don’t do it for you...
I just don’t know what to say.

Maybe it just doesn’t work for you.
Who knows?

Old 02-07-2021, 12:10 PM

240 posts, read 195,902 times
The issue with US is, it is just way too diverse in terms of options, whether it's the weather, type of jobs, taxes etc. Most other countries in the world like UAE, Norway, Japan, UK, Sweden, Argentina, Nigeria etc. have no where close to the options we have. For example in Canada, everyone raves about Vancouver, nobody bothers about the rain/ gloom since it seems great compared to rest of the country. They simply don't have an option like Sandiego in winter.

But over here, if you go to every other sub form of a city/ state, someone or the other is sharing grievance. In Sandiego, it's about not having seasons, in Seattle about gloom/rain, in Miami it's about hot and muggy summer, NE on snow and freezing temp etc. But at the end of the day, all us are way more privileged than rest of the world-- we are a short flight away to enjoy a completely different climate.

I personally love Seattle and PNW, but agree with the OP that Nov-Feb is tough, but other than pandemic year, we usually spend 1 week during Christmas break in so-cal to get our sun and beach time and that charges us for the next couple of months. Airline tickets and airbnb is quite reasonable..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area