Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 08:13 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,495,013 times

Advertisements

I did our grocery shopping early this morning (7:30 am). It was already warming up. I stayed out on our east facing deck until the sun peeked around the tall evergreens warming it up. Then, I hung out in the small cabin watching movies until supper. The cabin stayed cool as it is shaded on all sides by evergreens.

The plan for the next several days will be to follow the same routine (except grocery shopping) and water the garden late evening/early morning. The dogs need a bath so they will get an outside one so they can dry off. They hang out with me on the deck and in the cabin. They have water bowls in both locations.

We may have to cancel our Tuesday early morning septic pumping but the tanks are in the shade so it should be okay. I have a doctors appointment a bit later so DH has to deal with it, lol.

Our creek is still running so the wild ones have water and our neighborhood is still mostly wooded so they will have shade. The birds stay amongst the trees during the hotter part of the day but they are probably asking wth!

Stay cool and safe everyone. This, too, shall pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 10:37 AM

1,348 posts, read 710,401 times
stafe safe people on another note with this heat wave excessive dryness why have they not banned fireworks statewide the perfect storm for wildfires destruction around the state idiots with fireworks!!!!

Old 06-26-2021, 10:50 AM

14,551 posts, read 12,197,918 times
Our county banned fireworks, but the tribes don't have to obey the county, or even the state.

They're still selling them on the res. down the road. I wish they would do the right thing.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:09 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,864,281 times
Quite strange that there is no recent weather thread in the Portland forum, even though they are already going to hit 108F today. And 115F tomorrow!

We will get a good idea of our issues tomorrow (and day after) from their issues today.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:18 AM

13,082 posts, read 7,557,182 times
Pacific City Webcam
@1015, 08/25/2021 Fog bank is laying-in-waiting, for the valley temps to reach 90.
good day for clamming. The clams are too hot to dig much further into the sand thus the clammer has a slight advantage.

Old 06-26-2021, 01:53 PM

905 posts, read 1,105,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I have used the AC for at least 15-20 days so far (since April). I don't understand why people keep saying AC is not needed here when there are many warm days each summer (and even spring). People just have selective memory. Every single summer, we reach at least 94 and some summers it gets even hotter.
It used to be a bit easier to get away without it - more mild summer days (highs in the low to mid 70's), and fewer heat waves, which usually didn't reach the 90's. More recent summers are trending hotter and drier here. And yes, even spring seems to have a few days that call for AC anymore.

I think the "You don't need AC in Seattle" sentiment is going to change in big way this weekend. I've been on the fence about owning an AC unit myself, but this is the last straw for me. This will be a tough next few days for sure (for everyone without AC), but at this point, it's smart to be equipped for the next bout with heat here.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:01 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
It used to be a bit easier to get away without it - more mild summer days (highs in the low to mid 70's), and fewer heat waves, which usually didn't reach the 90's. More recent summers are trending hotter and drier here. And yes, even spring seems to have a few days that call for AC anymore.

I think the "You don't need AC in Seattle" sentiment is going to change in big way this weekend. I've been on the fence about owning an AC unit myself, but this is the last straw for me. This will be a tough next few days for sure (for everyone without AC), but at this point, it's smart to be equipped for the next bout with heat here.
Same. But we will need to research portable vs central.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:20 PM

13,082 posts, read 7,557,182 times
DS decision was that he no longer wanted to breath in the hot and smokey air drawn in from the portable single duct AC. Central AC or mini-splits are all recirculating air. This was a $18,000 decision. It took 2 installers -16 hours (2 days) and 2 electricians-4 hours to install 3 mini splits. DS's place is under the flight path of SeaTac and using the portable necessitates opening his sound proofing and high thermal eff. window for the exhaust duct.\\

Keep your electrolyte levels up, keep hydrated, a 1/4 of a large pickle at L, tea, S, and snack will help you weather the heat.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:12 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,745,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Same. But we will need to research portable vs central.
As an east coast transplant that has had all kinds of different AC's throughout the years, portables kinda suck. I would not buy one unless you have no other option. Window units are superior if you have the type of window style that fits them. I know quite a few apartment complexes we rented out here didn't have the right type of window for them. Central air is great but obviously costs a lot more money.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:22 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
As an east coast transplant that has had all kinds of different AC's throughout the years, portables kinda suck. I would not buy one unless you have no other option. Window units are superior if you have the type of window style that fits them. I know quite a few apartment complexes we rented out here didn't have the right type of window for them. Central air is great but obviously costs a lot more money.
In Texas only one of my 9 homes (parents, rentals) had something other than central. The student family housing unit had two window units. None near the the kitchen and I remember hating it.

I can definitely afford the A/C, especially in this home. Many of my neighbors installed one already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area