Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 08:49 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,239,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm worried too.... mostly about our animals: Keeping them cool and watered without overheating ourselves running around tending them. We've got horses, goats, sheep, chickens, dogs and cats to keep happy. We do have a nice big barn.
The kitties will probably be fine with enough water around. The first domesticated cats came from the Saharan desert where temps much hotter than this weekend are commonplace. Other animals, just keep an eye on them and hopefully there’s shady areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 10:33 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,969,536 times
Air conditioners are rentals here, a few days past this weekend the Hardware box stores will be taking as refunds. They know its a rental and can do nothing about it cause the customer is always right and its within the 90 days return policy.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:42 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,684,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Air conditioners are rentals here, a few days past this weekend the Hardware box stores will be taking as refunds. They know its a rental and can do nothing about it cause the customer is always right and its within the 90 days return policy.
I'm holding on to ours. Global warming man!

Old 06-24-2021, 12:04 AM

1,369 posts, read 716,826 times
I'm all set. Got my little a/c in the window... basement bedroom set up... and I live by a lake with swimming access.
Remember to walk your dog in the early morning and at night. If you have to walk during the day, take the pooch somewhere shady and grassy (asphalt, concrete and sand will be too hot), and wet it down thoroughly before the walk, and take water for both of you.

I used to live in the desert southwest... but that was a DRY heat!!

Old 06-24-2021, 01:03 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,864,774 times
Cliff has raised his prior forecast. 105 F expected at SeaTac. 114 F Portland!

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2021/...th-record.html

Cliff's reply to someone in the comments made me laugh:

Quote:
Cliff Mass Weather Blog June 23, 2021 at 9:47 PM
Anthony.... did you see the message about being civil. Name calling like you are doing in this message is not appropriate. If you can not control this, please do not leave any more messages. My blog is about the forecast, not about climate change...cm

Last edited by usernametaken; 06-24-2021 at 01:12 AM..

Old 06-24-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Cliff has raised his prior forecast. 105 F expected at SeaTac. 114 F Portland!

[url]https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2021/06/an-historical-heat-wave-with-record.html[/url]

Cliff's reply to someone in the comments made me laugh:
LOL Well, Dr. Mass can dare say he doesn't want it, but climate change's signature is written ALL OVER THE BLOG regardless. It makes me angry laugh all the time... if you remove the existential threat horror out of the equation it becomes truly hilarious how many times Mass has to eat his own words. Requires a taste for dry, ironic, non-American humor.

He did it this week BTW. If you go to his June 18th post he labeled it something like, "The TRUTH about record heatwaves". It's a link to his podcast and I don't follow that, but I made assumptions on his conclusions that were confirmed in the comments section. I was right: It was typical Mass poo-pooing the fears and concerns that things are beginning to heat up and that we're seeing an increase in record breaking heat (all kinds, everywhere, including daily night time temperatures and daily highs).

I hope he can appreciate the fantastically pleasing irony that his 2nd and 3rd posts following his "truth" revelation are completely and utterly in contradiction to this aforementioned "truth". Undoubtedly it'll be followed up with a 4th, and if things really get wild, I will expect a 5th post... though that one will be political in nature. About the failures of the Left-wing city government.

And then to cover his arse he'll make a 6th post how it really wasn't that unusual after all... he'll use a little of this data, a little of that data and waa-laa... STATISTICS!

Old 06-24-2021, 09:19 AM

17,348 posts, read 12,305,057 times
It's been funny watching the local weather forecasters eat their words too. At first it was all, don't pay attention to the forecasts on the apps, we won't get that hot. Pay attention to our local forecast with human intervention and our historical knowledge. Now they're matching.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
My greenhouse is going great, we have already eaten some asparagus, patty-pan squash and snow peas, and yesterday started to get color on the first 3 Early Girl tomatoes. On Monday when it got up to 90 the greenhouse reached 105 inside, with door and window open, so for this hot weekend I am going to have to block some of the afternoon sun or have cooked plants. I'm thinking of using weedcloth over that side.

Old 06-24-2021, 04:06 PM

One more update:
[url]https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2021/06/incredible-temperatures-are-being.html[/url]

Cliff is scratching his head over this one....

Old 06-24-2021, 04:27 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,864,774 times
107 F Seattle! I can finally lose 2 lbs weight in just 5000 steps walking. A long time goal.

Quote:
CM:

Finally, a number of people have asked about the role of global warming on this event. Is global warming contributing to this heatwave? The answer is certainly yes. Would we have had a record heatwave without global warming. The answer is yes as well.

So without global warming, a location that was 104F would have been 102F. Still a severe heat wave, just slightly less intense.

Last edited by usernametaken; 06-24-2021 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area