Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 06:16 PM

17,355 posts, read 12,311,581 times

Advertisements

Yeah, 108 down here in Vancouver. Broke down and bought a portable a/c unit even though we move to a house with central air in 2 weeks. Figure we’ll have no problem reselling it…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 06:23 PM

15,894 posts, read 6,595,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Yeah....
Well....

I just emails from my son's soccer coach and the soccer scheduling app regarding a last minute invitation to US Club regionals this weekend in Snohomish (no explanation given such as... another team dropping due to heat concerns???). I've been told this is a big deal. I looked at the player availability and the big shots on the team (families that are really into this stuff) didn't hesitate to sign up.

Anyway... my kid is this team's key player so he's gonna be playing three, (remotely) possibly four, games between Friday-Monday.

Like seriously, WTH??? The kid has legitimately never been in 100 degree weather, much less played a soccer tournament in it. Complains when it's above 65 and sunny.

I hail from Texas so I know heat. Humid heat even. And I did outdoor extracurricular summer activities at his age so I know it can be done. I told him he'll take 4x the amount of water: 2x to drink. 2x to pour on your body. Leave bottles around the pitch.

Whatever... I guess we won't be needing the A/Cs since we won't be home...
Yes, those sweltering summer matches down in Houston are always a challenge for us. It's as much an environmental advantage for them as the altitude is for Colorado and winter cold and rain is for us. Hopefully nobody gets heat stroke this weekend.

Old 06-23-2021, 12:12 AM

1,369 posts, read 717,347 times
If it actually gets that hot I'll just be in my basement all day and pop out at night, I guess. Like a desert kangaroo rat.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:03 AM

1,751 posts, read 885,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Ya'll need to check out Cliff Mass's blog post. Specifically the two forecast models calling 110-111 degrees (does that get your attention?)

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2021/...l#comment-form

I was looking at portable A/C units online last night just before midnight as they are the only ones approved by my HOA. Only Lowes in S Seattle and Renton had any in stock as far as I could tell (and they had plenty) so I set an alarm this morning and was at the Renton store when it opened... but they had already pulled every single unit from the floor for curbside pick up from online orders. I should have expected that, but didn't...

My husband ordered a couple from Amazon. Supposed to be delivered on Friday. In the meantime we did buy a window A/C unit from Home Depot. HOA be damned.... I'd like to see that policy hold up in a legit life-threatening heatwave...

Many window units available still at Home Depot. Consider getting one today if all you have are box fans. Even if we don't hit 110 it's going to be truly hot for our area. Put some thought into it, prepare, and if or when it comes you'll be glad you did.

Thank you for posting this. My son and his girlfriend live in Seattle and both hate the heat (anything above 65). After reading your post I was able to order two A/C units from Amazon to be delivered in 2 days (hopefully sooner) so they will have them for the worst heat and for next time.

I live in South Carolina and it's always weird when somewhere like Seattle has higher temps than us. Our Sat. and Sun. temps are suppose to be mid-80s.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:06 AM

1,751 posts, read 885,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, 108 down here in Vancouver. Broke down and bought a portable a/c unit even though we move to a house with central air in 2 weeks. Figure we’ll have no problem reselling it…

Don't sell that portable unit. Central air can go down at any time and you may need it again. Someone in my neighborhood was just looking to borrow a window unit yesterday because their central air went out. That's the third time this spring someone was looking to borrow one.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,473,200 times
It's now supposed to hit 104 Sunday here in Sammamish. When we lived in Lafayette, CA I used to hate back to school when it was almost always 105 in early September, but I don't remember it ever being over 100 in our 27 years here. We'll pretty much be hanging out in the family room in front of the AC I guess.
With the overcast this morning we are enjoying a little break from the heat, only 62 so far!

Old 06-23-2021, 10:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,473,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
Don't sell that portable unit. Central air can go down at any time and you may need it again. Someone in my neighborhood was just looking to borrow a window unit yesterday because their central air went out. That's the third time this spring someone was looking to borrow one.
That sounds familiar, we gave one of ours from my workshop to my son when his central unit went out. For use central would be a waste, with 3,000 sf it would be cooling 5 or 6 rooms that we rarely go into now.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:46 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,153,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's now supposed to hit 104 Sunday here in Sammamish. When we lived in Lafayette, CA I used to hate back to school when it was almost always 105 in early September, but I don't remember it ever being over 100 in our 27 years here. We'll pretty much be hanging out in the family room in front of the AC I guess.
With the overcast this morning we are enjoying a little break from the heat, only 62 so far!
July 29, 2009 was over 100F in most places in the Seattle area. It's when many places set their all-time high records. Even last August, some places in the area hit 100F.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:58 AM

6,405 posts, read 5,047,781 times
Ocean Shores is only getting up to 74 this weekend. Anacortes 85.

Personally I'm staying in the city, I like the occasional scorcher. Miss that from the Midwest.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:59 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,153,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Ocean Shores is only getting up to 74 this weekend. Anacortes 85.

Personally I'm staying in the city, I like the occasional scorcher. Miss that from the Midwest.
The coast has a completely different climate especially in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area