Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 05:00 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times

Advertisements

I am looking through the Craigslist and Indeed listings for tech jobs in Seattle. I am mainly looking at jobs for my husband: Help Desk, Network Technician, Hardware Technician, etc. IT jobs that are hands on and don´t involve a lot of programming or formal education, mostly just 2 year tech college degrees, IT certs, and on the job experience.

I am trying to get a feel for what his job chances would be in Seattle. Here there is not much for him, so we were thinking of moving when our lease was up. There seems to be a lot more jobs for him there than there are here in Indy, but Seattle is a bit larger than Indianapolis. However, I would like to know what the job market is like. There apparently are jobs, but how difficult are they to get and what is the competition? There is probably no way anyone is going to relocate my husband to Seattle to do this kind of work, so that is not even worth mentioning.

My husband has several years of IT support tech experience. He recently got his A+ cert and is working now on three others, N+, Server+, and a MCP. He went to uni for several years, but never finished. Once he finishes with the certs, we were thinking of sending him out there a few months before the lease is up here to look for work. I would stay here in Indy and keep working my current job until he found something. My job is something I can find work doing anywhere. It is no real big deal from my standpoint.

I know the economy isn´t in the greatest shape, etc, but here in Indy there is really nothing worth talking about or staying for in terms of the IT sector. I would just like some feedback on this idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,100,717 times
Here is a resource that could help you. It's the combined classifieds of the two leading newspapers in a wide area around Seattle, NWSource.com:
Seattle area jobs, employment advice and information | NWjobs
You can select IT and perhaps get some sense of local conditions.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 PM

109 posts, read 153,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Here is a resource that could help you. It's the combined classifieds of the two leading newspapers in a wide area around Seattle, NWSource.com:
Seattle area jobs, employment advice and information | NWjobs
You can select IT and perhaps get some sense of local conditions.
The job market in the Seattle area is still very healthy. I think the last I heard, the unemployment rate is only about 4.26.

There are a lot of tech jobs in this area. Besides the well known Microsoft and Amazon, there are a list full of startup and bio tech. Even Lynnwood is starting to attract tech companies such as Cyprys Semiconductor which expanded their new office to the Northpoint Industrial park.

If you really want to find tech jobs, Craigslist isn't the only or the best place to find it. If I were you and you have good skills and work experience, just call up the company and ask them. This show that you are eager and proactive.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,712 times
Have you or hubby looked into the internet site for the Federal Gov't, which has all the services, Army, Navy and Air Force for IT positions. You are able to make a free account , then upload your resume to the site for posting as appropriate. Another idea is all banking industries require at least an IT systems administrator, and have seen these jobs in the local newspaper and on line. If I can be of any other assistance let me know by this means or pm.. Good luck.

Here is one of the links to assist you:

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

Old 05-23-2008, 06:50 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
Thanks for the advice. There are other reasons why we are thinking of going out there too, but the job thing is one of the main ones. I think the only thing that turns us a little off is the expense of Seattle, so I will need to do some more research to see how the wages pan out against the COL. We are not looking to buy a home and are looking to hopefully ditch one of our cars, so maybe that helps a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area