Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 12:45 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,943,352 times

Advertisements

The problem with climate change is that the change is inconsistent and too slow for most people to notice, plus there are many variables at play that makes it hard to pinpoint any natural disaster to it, (for example most wild fires are man made, although due to the changing climate these fires are easier to start, but then again our forests have been mismanaged for decades.) we are like the proverbial frog sitting in a pot, we don’t notice until it’s to late. Granted I don’t think it will be doomsday and end of civilisation as we know it, but we are idiots if we think there will be no repercussions and we need to be acting now to mitigate the effects as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 01:12 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,089,681 times
I agree that it depends upon where you are.
I have seen the temperatures increase in the 50 years I have lived in California.
As I mentioned earlier a slight change can set off a domino effect.

The tinder dryness that is a result of the warmer/hotter temperatures have given us (or at least greatly contributed to) the firestorms of the last few years.

Did you ever hear of a firestorm growing up?
When I was growing up the only firestorm I heard of was when Mrs. O’Leary’s cow kicked over the lamp and started the Chicago Fire(storm) .

Now it’s a seasonal event.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 12,171,963 times
There are also significant changes in forestry practices that are leading to the increase in fires.

Leaving more areas unlogged leaves more fuels for fires. Leaving more debris in the forest when logging leaves more fuel for fires.

Short sighted restrictions on logging and leaving more debris behind when logging for habitat/soil enrichment, has unintended consequences. A patchwork of logged areas and new plantings and thinned, managed timber stands and easy road access make for healthier forests and fewer fires.

We have a few decades of good intentions that are growing to maturity now and causing big problems.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:15 PM

I’ll buy that to a degree.
Some of the largest fires down south were not in logging country though.
Paradise ,Calistoga and Santa Rosa fires just to name a few.
You are correct though about the poor logging policies.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:27 PM

There are other factors in other areas.

Some fires always happen during the dry season, the problem is when they can grow so big. Many think by preventing logging they are saving nature, and I hope they learn soon that they aren't. Managed logging is far less detrimental to all the wildlife than big fires.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:41 PM

Agreed

Old 04-30-2022, 09:31 AM

15,873 posts, read 6,573,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
There are also significant changes in forestry practices that are leading to the increase in fires.

Leaving more areas unlogged leaves more fuels for fires. Leaving more debris in the forest when logging leaves more fuel for fires.

Short sighted restrictions on logging and leaving more debris behind when logging for habitat/soil enrichment, has unintended consequences. A patchwork of logged areas and new plantings and thinned, managed timber stands and easy road access make for healthier forests and fewer fires.

We have a few decades of good intentions that are growing to maturity now and causing big problems.
It's not so much the lack of logging but the continual suppression of fires that has created a problem. Forest fires are a part of nature, but suppressing them is not. That's why the forestry departments are looking into more controlled burns to suppress undergrowth. Of course, that adds risks for communities located near forests. But that risk is high whether we do anything about it or not. They can at least set fires when they are less likely to spread wildly.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's not so much the lack of logging but the continual suppression of fires that has created a problem. Forest fires are a part of nature, but suppressing them is not. That's why the forestry departments are looking into more controlled burns to suppress undergrowth. Of course, that adds risks for communities located near forests. But that risk is high whether we do anything about it or not. They can at least set fires when they are less likely to spread wildly.
Fires are a natural event, but the same result of thinning and renewing is actually better achieved through a patchwork of logging and replanting.

The material needs to be consumed and replanted from time to time to keep it young and vibrant and healthy. We can do that through wasting it in fires, or we can do it through logging and make good use of the trees.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:39 PM

15,873 posts, read 6,573,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Fires are a natural event, but the same result of thinning and renewing is actually better achieved through a patchwork of logging and replanting.

The material needs to be consumed and replanted from time to time to keep it young and vibrant and healthy. We can do that through wasting it in fires, or we can do it through logging and make good use of the trees.
Some sites have legal limits on logging, or are too expensive. It'll probably be some combination of thinning by selective logging, managed fires, and using goats to trim foliage growth.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:46 AM

I live in logging country.
I can see 6-8 previously logged areas from by backyard view and an 80 acre patch near our other side.
I have never seen selective thinning here in this area or goats that are used strictly for foliage.

I could be wrong, didn’t the lumber industry lobby and win for clear cut to make more money?
Back in CA I see several herds of goats in the Bay Area that are contracted for foliage removal.
Here I haven’t seen one such herd.

Just my observations.

Oh yeah,
I drive between WA and CA every 5-6 weeks.
When I see Lake Shasta 75-90 feet low and the marinas and boat launches where they shouldn’t be I know there will be a fire season.
This is happening more and more.

40-50 years ago when I was a kid most all the lakes in CA had water up to the tree line.
I can’t remember the last time I saw that but I’ll blame that on policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area