Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 11:59 AM

17,614 posts, read 6,894,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I trust that no DA or jury in the country, regardless of location, would go after me for doing the right thing.

Politicizing such an act seems absurd to me.
Google Daniel Penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 12:05 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerp View Post
What do you expect?

Hammers aren’t banned.
There’s no Universal Background Checks required to get a hammer.
There’s no permission slip…err conceal carry license required to hide a hammer on your person before you attack.
There’s no weight/mass capacity limit on how heavy your hammer can be, thus ensuring anyone can get an assault hammer.
No waiting period before taking possession of your hammer after buying it.
ding
plus, criminals don't care about that for firearms either. Still nutcases with weapons.
I propose hammer,kitchen knife and screwdriver registration. At least it shows that our hearts are in the right place.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:27 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I just couldn’t imagine a homeless guest in our house.
Just the thought of that makes me cringe.
I don’t even feel comfortable when a stranger is at our place let alone a homie.

We have been burned too many times and are now jaded.
One worker even stole our meds when we allowed them to use our restroom.
Yeah that’s ever gonna happen again.
I now understand why some shops say that their restroom is out of order.
And yet, when I was living in my truck, which is essentially being homeless, I was constantly asked why I didn't rent a room from someone or share an apartment with someone. At which point, if I wasn't renting a room or giving the reasons why people weren't enthused about taking in homeless people to rent rooms in their houses, then I was someone who "chose" to be homeless. It's like you can't win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

America is about equal opportunity, not "equity". Lots of Americans have forgotten that or NEVER learned it in the first place, like you.
But to have equal opportunity, you need to have equity (equality) first. Being an immigrant, I'm surprised you don't understand that.

The opportunity is there for hard work if an immigrant has connections, money, programs to help him and his family, or a support system already in place. The immigrant who choose to enter the country illegally because he didn't want to remain in a war zone facing starvation isn't going to start from the same place a legal immigrant starts with and isn't going to have the same opportunities no matter how hard he works.

A child born to crack-addicted parents living in a slum who doesn't get his nutritional, emotional, or educational needs met is not going to have the same opportunities as a kid born to middle class parents who plan on college for their kid. I'm not saying that despite all kinds of kids starting out on uneven levels, a surprising number of them get through life. That's not my point. What I AM saying is that in America, opportunities are NOT equal for all people.

I'm not trying to downplay your achievements. I'm just asking you to show some empathy.

Old 10-09-2023, 12:42 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I propose hammer,kitchen knife and screwdriver registration. At least it shows that our hearts are in the right place.
Ya, cuz it’s normal to walk around the city streets or on public transit carrying a hammer. Or a machete. Or a long-handled ax, I’ve seen those, too.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Ya, cuz it’s normal to walk around the city streets or on public transit carrying a hammer. Or a machete. Or a long-handled ax, I’ve seen those, too.
Perhaps people figure they will need to nail something together, chop down a tree or cut something. I don't know.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:40 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Rodentraiser, I might not have been clear and I apologize for that.

I have throughout the years taken in homeless family members and close friends for a few weeks up to a couple months.
I don’t like doing it because my roommate days are long gone.
I only do it because it needs to be done.
Heck I don’t much care for when my son comes up for 2-3 weeks.

A stranger?
Umm, no that’s not going to happen.
It’s just the wife and I out in the middle of nowhere and personal safety is something that I take seriously.
There is also the possible theft situation so I would have to pick up anything left out that might tempt a person into thievery.

I have given day jobs to help people that were homeless years ago (when it wasn’t this wide spread) and they stole from us a few times.

I also am a firm believer that desperate people do desperate thing because they have nothing to lose, so we no longer help/hire the homeless.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
You forgot about the rocks, which are more frequently used for assaults lately.

https://www.rentonreporter.com/news/...owing-suspect/

https://komonews.com/news/local/i90-...-investigation

Old 10-10-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You forgot about the rocks, which are more frequently used for assaults lately.

https://www.rentonreporter.com/news/...owing-suspect/

https://komonews.com/news/local/i90-...-investigation
I often carry around rocks to put on gravestones.

Old 10-10-2023, 01:39 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Rocks are and have always been brutal.
My Mother grew up in WW11 with a front row seat and lived in occupied territory that banned gun ownership.
She said that the thugs would ask you “Do you want to buy this rock ?” when they robbed you.

Rocks were the weapons of choice long before there were guns.
Seems like they are making a comeback once again.

Old 10-10-2023, 05:56 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Rodentraiser, I might not have been clear and I apologize for that.

I have throughout the years taken in homeless family members and close friends for a few weeks up to a couple months.
I don’t like doing it because my roommate days are long gone.
I only do it because it needs to be done.
Heck I don’t much care for when my son comes up for 2-3 weeks.

A stranger?
Umm, no that’s not going to happen.
It’s just the wife and I out in the middle of nowhere and personal safety is something that I take seriously.
There is also the possible theft situation so I would have to pick up anything left out that might tempt a person into thievery.

I have given day jobs to help people that were homeless years ago (when it wasn’t this wide spread) and they stole from us a few times.

I also am a firm believer that desperate people do desperate thing because they have nothing to lose, so we no longer help/hire the homeless.
No need to apologize. I understood exactly what you were saying and it's a point I make all the time to people who think homeless people should just rent a room somewhere. It's worse for homeowners to have people renting rooms in their houses. If you're a landlord, you have some distance between you and the person you rented to. A person renting a room to someone else doesn't get that luxury.

Renting a room to someone you don't know is, in my opinion, like giving a stranger a ride in your car. You basically place yourself at their mercy in hoping they aren't violent, won't destroy your house, threaten you or bring drugs in or anything else of that sort. I would never blame anyone for not wanting to rent a room out, either in their apartment or in their house.

What I should have made clear is that even though I tell people that, people still think if I can't find a room to rent, then I'm choosing to be homeless because they think everyone should want to rent a room to anyone. And it doesn't work like that.

I see it from both sides. Like in how the homeless should "just get a job" but when I applied to jobs through the community college and asked if not having a phone was a problem (this was before cell phones), I was told that not having a phone made it seem as if I were homeless (I was at the time) and that no one wanted to hire anyone who was homeless. It made me want to turn in circles, stamp my feet, and scream. LOL

I see nothing wrong with people not wanting to rent rooms out, even if they need the money themselves. I hear you about your days of having roommates being over. I hate living with other people to the point where I would choose to be homeless now rather than share a place again. I felt like that when I was 20 and you better believe I still feel like that at almost 70. Privacy is a gift and a luxury and I'm not about to give that up easily. I suspect you wouldn't either. That's fine and no one should judge you for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area