Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:23 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I had decided to end my 11-year adventure in Japan, had chosen the U.S. to go to (from my short list of excellent economies, beautiful mountains and lots of water "top three" Switzerland, Costa Rica and the U.S./Canada), and as someone who had lived only on the east coast but was raised on cowboy movies and wanted to "see the west" -- I flew from Tokyo to Seattle.

Then I spent most of a year roaming B.C. and the western states (not working, just wandering), and settled in breathtakingly beautiful northwestern Montana for two years in the shadow of the Swans (Swan Mountains) near Glacier National Park. Eventually I wanted a real library, a busier city close to me, a more diverse economy, a Japanese restaurant!!, more than one movie theater, and some opera, some ballet, y'know -- some "serious culcha". So I packed up my Montana life and headed toward the ocean, 23 years ago.

In terms of the air I breathe every day, the sights my eyes see every day, the cats and people who have graced my life, and what I've learned about myself and become, specifically because I'm here, and the astrocartology of the place for me -- moving here was probably the best decision I've ever made. I didn't know it would be so cloudy here every winter, and I didn't know I would love that so much!!

Thanks for asking, seattlerain! How about you?
Great story!

I spend as much time as in northwestern Montana...love it there!

I hope to retire there in another ten years or so. Hopefully I won't be priced out...

Anyway, I was born and raised here...second generation native Seattleite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
This is true, except for the question was simply what brought you here, not if you were happy about it.
Thank you!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
This is true, except for the question was simply what brought you here, not if you were happy about it.
Right! Please see my prior post about the earlier confusion. And my response about malcontents addresses his comment about it turning into a Seattle Bash. When people are unhappy they comment more often, it doesn't matter whether anyone asked them or not. So your comment following my quote is a nonsequitur.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:33 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
I moved here over 20 years ago because of a job with Boeing. Having lived in over 15 different states in all corners of the country, I feel this is heaven!! The abundant beauty that surrounds us, the friendly people, the diversity of my neighborhood (I believe its the second most diverse zip code in the country), the ability to ride my bicycle everywhere (even in the rain), and the fact that all my children who have been raised here have stayed, feeling the same way, makes this the place I'll live forever.

No, it's not like California, it's not like the midwest, it's not like wherever you came from, but it is home to many of us transplants. There are even some of us who actually love the weather ... I always tell people that's my favorite part of living in Seattle, green and mild year round.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:36 PM

15 posts, read 6,228 times
I am not there yet and after reading the people who don't like it, I am scared. Ha, but I am coming anyway.

My husband took a job there and is already there. As far as cost of living, we are planning on renting for at least a year to feel it out. Plus we have to sell our house in KC.

My question is, how can I convince my daughter to move there? She will be a senior in HS. If I can't get her to move for her last year of HS, can you give me some goods on the colleges there?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Haven't you ever heard that the people that are most dissatisfied with something are the most likely to comment about it? Years ago when I was in the restaurant biz, our management cited some study that concluded that for someone having a bad dining experience, he or she was likely to recount the story 12 times while those having a good experience might recount it once, if at all.

Plus, think about it, if we were out having fun we wouldn't have time to compulsively check this board and be part of the conversation. So what I am trying to say is that of course, you get the malcontents on here. If I weren't malcontented, I'd have the energy to be out doing something productive with my time.
Yes, certainly I've heard that...however as wannabeaTexan commented I asked what brought people here...not whether or not one likes it here. I already know that most of the more regular posters, (with a few exceptions), don't care for the area.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:39 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
I don't know if I'm qualified to answer this question, since I don't live there yet. But I'll let you know why we're moving there from NC this fall. Maybe the enthusiasm will cheer seattlerain up:

My sweetie moved here from Seattle to be with me 4 years ago. We were long distance for 2 years before that, so I had gone to Seattle on all of the breaks I had. Now I'm done with school and he wants to go back. He didn't have to convince me too hard that this is where we should be looking for jobs next. Here's why:

1. So much to do. Seattle has a lot more cultural activities and cool neighborhoods to hang out in than where we are now. There's also places to take visitors, which is something I always struggle with when there's family in town here.
2. Hiking! I *heart* the Northwest forests: majestic spruce and fir trees. The hiking where we are now is flat, and you have to drive quite a ways to get to the mountains.
3. Weather. Yes, I do see Seattle as an improvement over NC. I really hate hot weather. I'd rather be somewhere where it's cloudy but I can go outside than sunny and too hot to breathe. I also love wearing fleece. Half of my wardrobe is from REI.
4. Awesome food. It'd be nice not to have to go an hour away just to find a Thai restaurant that may or may not be good. Also: sushi.
5. We'll be sooooo hip. No wait, I don't think living in Seattle automatically does that to you. Never mind.
5. I think we both have a better chance of finding more interesting and challenging jobs. The husband misses being around other nerdy programmers. For myself, well, I just got an interview for a job that sounds really fun. So that bodes well.
6. There's still the all the hippie-yuppie crap that I like about where we are now: yoga classes, farmer's markets, Whole foods, yarn stores, etc.

So anyways, we're looking forward to it. It'll be a big change, but we're optimistic about it.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Seattlenextyear, you'll love it here! You're clearly openminded, openhearted, and interested in learning and trying new things. AND WAIT TILL YOU EXPERIENCE the sushi and all the other fantastic food here!! I welcome you in your planning!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:05 PM

27 posts, read 190,721 times
Right after being married, my husband and I visited his relatives in Seattle. I fell in love with the PNW. I had never seen such beautiful scenery, mountains, trees, etc. I remember thinking, geez, there are Christmas trees all over the place! We returned home to Hawaii with a dream that some day we would relocate and made several visits here.

The stars aligned when our second daughter graduated from high school. The timing seemed right - I felt ready to leave a long career, my husband felt ready to expand his career, our youngest would soon start elementary school and our second daughter could attend college on the mainland.

We said a prayer & then we jumped! Started the process researching and visiting here several times. We sold our house in HI and soon bought one here. We were fortunate because the housing markets were so different and we were guided by a knowledgeable realtor. We didn't realize at the time, it was insane to buy a house not knowing where my husband would work but it did work out. My husband landed a job in his 1st choice company and we moved!

Fast forward, it's now been 2 years and we're still "settling in". The adjustment has been greatest for me because ALL of my family, including 2 older children, live in HI. Yes, the 2nd daughter was here for a year but returned to her boyfriend in HI. That was probably the worst of it for me.

Not only was moving difficult but also transitioning from career to stay-at-home mom. Totally different gears and many "a-ha" moments! It's also a challenge to meet and connect with people, other than moms, because I'm not in the workforce.

While it was our idea to move here and we still do love it, it's not been easy. Being away from family is the hardest. That being said, I/we still do not regret it. Yes, I have my moments but we're also in awe of experiencing the seasons, the nature surrounding us and discovering new adventures! I believe things happen for a reason and I'm hopeful they have a way of working out the way it should. In the meantime, I've found a lot of support reading on this forum, posting occasionally and learning more than I ever imagined!

Thanks for listening!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
We were working overseas and ran into contractual problems with the employing company and had one week's notice to return to America. My daughter had been a UW student and lives here.

With more notice and time to prepare, I think we would have landed elsewhere in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area