Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
You forget I only lived in Sac for 8 years, I'm from Southern Calif, born and brought up in Santa Monica, and other areas.

And I call 80 degrees (that doesn't appear until 5 pm) with a cool breeze SPRING TIME.
Call it what you want, but to me it's summer. There is no definition that says summer has to be 90+ every day, or you can't call it summer. We have a mild climate here, which means no extremes. 80 and sunny is shorts and flip-flops weather to almost anyone other than weather snobs from Coastal California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 PM

24 posts, read 70,829 times
Well... granted I only read the first page of posts, but damn, doesn't anyone LIKE the Seattle area?

Old 07-11-2008, 03:28 PM

LOL.....It does kinda seem that way sometimes, doesn't it. There is a group of people that aren't really thrilled about living in this area (and some who have moved on but still hang around) that post on this board quite frequently, which can give the first impression that the Seattle area is an uninhabitable dump. Sometimes it feels like you have to be almost apologetic when you are saying something nice about this city.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:38 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
LOL.....It does kinda seem that way sometimes, doesn't it. There is a group of people that aren't really thrilled about living in this area (and some who have moved on but still hang around) that post on this board quite frequently, which can give the first impression that the Seattle area is an uninhabitable dump.
I don't think even Seattle's WORST detractors would call it an "uninhabitable dump." It is a gorgeous place. It just makes such an awesome first impression that it is hard for reality to live up to the fantasy.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
Well... granted I only read the first page of posts, but damn, doesn't anyone LIKE the Seattle area?
Generally people don't sign up for a site like this because they wanna rave about there city. Most have nothing better to do (like me) and they because they are bored, things don't seem as great as they could. Most folks with too much time on there hands can find almost anything wrong with anywhere. I have read posts from almost every state, and I think the majority of the posts are negitive. Maybe most just hate life, I don't know. I know I dislike a place when Im outa work....I have too much time to think about it, and I assume it must be better somewhere else. No matter how bad a place is, if you have a decent place to live, and a job you like or tolerat, its a darn good place to be.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
That is not true

Everyone knows I rave about Sacramento - and I'm on that board as well continually raving about it just like the Seattle Lovers do on here. I give positive feedback where I have it (Did no one see my Tangletown post?)

I'm an equal poster

Old 07-11-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
I moved here... because my mother's womb was located here, and it was convenient.

I'm stranded here because of UW. I considered transferring several times, believe me.
Sorry you moms womb was in terrible washington state when you invaded her. Had she known of your future misery, Im sure she (and her womb) would have relocated to a place more to your liking

Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
That is not true

Everyone knows I rave about Sacramento - and I'm on that board as well continually raving about it just like the Seattle Lovers do on here. I give positive feedback where I have it (Did no one see my Tangletown post?)

I'm an equal poster
Most love to rave about the place they "used to live" but rip on the new place.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Okay, so I just realized you weren't asking why we were living here and why were bitchen' about it. <LOL> so, my answers the same but you can disregard my middle paragraph where I am complaining. I guess somehow I caught the naysayer in your title and thought it was part of the question.

BTW, I believe the Seattle Freeze is real and I have lived in several parts of the country and while people here are polite, they are not necessarily very warm. We have many friends here, but the overall vibe on the street is pretty cold. Next time you go for a walk around your neighborhood try making eye contact and smiling at each person you pass by. Then count up how many people smiled back compared to how many people hurried by, pretending not to see you. I expect that in the NE but not here.
Man I hate eye contact. I wanna go for a walk and I don't wanna say hello to anybody. If I don't know you, I don't want to either. Its a fake obligation anyway. I don't even want to know my neighbors...I just want them to keep there noise down, there grass cut, and thier side of the fence maintained. Arizona is much like this.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Most love to rave about the place they "used to live" but rip on the new place.
Especially those that get moved against their will (i.e. their spouse had to relocate for a job, or their spouse wanted to be closer to family, or they were stationed there in the military, etc....). It seems like they don't even want warm up to their new location and just like to compare it to their old place and emphasize the faults. I guess I can sympathize somewhat as culture shock is a pretty significant factor, but you would think after a few years that you would learn the local customs and get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area