Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:00 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have been to Seattle and actually enjoy having a few consecutive days of rain and clouds....Stop bi***ing about it and go onto something else. Like you don't have something better to do than argue over clouds and rain.
Excuse me?? This thread was ABOUT the weather!!! Therefore, WEATHER is being discussed!!!

The whole point is to give various points of view from those who have LIVED there and to HELP others who are CONSIDERING moving there! Honestly, rename the darned thread if people don't want to talk about the WEATHER MISCONCEPTION!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:08 PM

170 posts, read 847,225 times
Wisteria- yes I have flown in all four seasons all across the US. No, you are not imagining the cloudy skys in Seattle. I think we finally reached an agreement before Pittsburgh Nurse came along and shook things up again.

We all know what Seattle weather is like. Some people take it a bit too far and greatly exaggerate things. No, it is not dark and grey all the time. Even days when it is cloudy and misty the sun manages to poke through occasionaly.

The point I'm making is that despite the clouds its not like you are living in Barrow, Alaska during the winter when it is always dark.

The other point which I think we had come to agree on is that the clouds and mist are beautiful and perfect not to a few people but to many people.

There are a some on here who will not accept that many people enjoy that weather for various reasons. They demand that everybody admit that Seattle weather is horrible.

It is at that point that all of us splinter off into different war camps. Instead of just accepting Seattle's weather and moving on they come on here and go on a smear campaign.

I would love to see one post or comment where somebody said Seattle's weather was sunny all the time. Nobody ever claimed that. What we do say is the following:

Seattle's weather is not as cloudy and dark as many make it out to be. And despite the majority of the time when it is cloudy, many people find that weather nice and beneficial. Like I said before, the South did not even develop until after the invention of the AC.... safe to say that until then people were avoiding the region because of the weather. Meanwhile Seattle was already developing rapidly and becoming a center of culture and economics.

Now, to answer your othe question I have flown all over the US, parts of Canada, and Mexico. I have seen both extremes of weather in all parts. I have seen snow flurries in El Paso and 100 degree heat in Boston. For what its worth I find Seattle's weather to be the best for my taste. I particularly don't enjoy extreme temepratrues...especially exreme heat.

I also rank air quality and other health issues high on my list of priorities. For those reasons Seattle fits perfectly for me. For others, the only concern is how many sunny days per year can they get so Seattle may not be the place for them. Fine....we all agree that Seattle is not sunny most of the time.

So find your place, move on, and accept that there are still millions who live in Seattle who love it, and another million out there who don't live in Seattle but wish they did. Facts of life are often hard to accept.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:11 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Well said Embraer.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
Quote:
There are a some on here who will not accept that many people enjoy that weather for various reasons. They demand that everybody admit that Seattle weather is horrible.
Who? I pretty much know who (of the active posters in this forum) likes the weather in Seattle, and who doesn't. I know for a fact that I have personally said people like different things (heat, rain - whatever) and that those of you who like the rainy, drizzly weather need to understand that some would prefer heat to the alternative...

I think those of us who don't like the weather, and have provided factual information on what the precipitation is REALLY like, based on studies and various sources of information, INCLUDING personal accounts... are mainly frustrated with those like pwright and SeaT perpetuating inaccurate information.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times
Quote:
Embraer: So find your place, move on, and accept that there are still millions who live in Seattle who love it, and another million out there who don't live in Seattle but wish they did. Facts of life are often hard to accept.
Thanks for sounding calm in your post -- it is appreciated. (By the way, I am in another nice place....I was just responding to the title of the thread.)

I'll just add one additional part to your sentence -- which was good -- and that is: "..,and another million who wished they had known about the weather before they moved there, but now they can't leave..."

Old 04-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, the South did not even develop until after the invention of the AC....
Ha, I would love if you could site your source on this. Thanks.

This is what I am talking about. Inaccurate information that some post like it's a statement of fact.

Perhaps you could also define 'develop'.

Quote:
So find your place, move on, and accept that there are still millions who live in Seattle who love it, and another million out there who don't live in Seattle but wish they did.
Millions? What about the 'millions' who live there because they have to - for job, family, and whatever other reason - but would like to get out? Believe me - just because there are 'millions' in the populace and aren't posting negatively on this forum - that doesn't mean *we* are the only ones with something negative to say about Seattle and the rest must love it.

Quote:
Facts of life are often hard to accept.
On both sides of the debate.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Thanks for sounding calm in your post -- it is appreciated. (By the way, I am in another nice place....I was just responding to the title of the thread.)

I'll just add one additional part to your sentence -- which was good -- and that is: "..,and another million who wished they had known about the weather before they moved there, but now they can't leave..."

Touché Won't argue about that

Old 04-02-2007, 12:31 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,710 times
Default Reply

I understand people are talking about the weather, but do you have to argue about it. Give your point and be done with it. Do you have to honestly go on and on covering the same crap!!! Sure, it rains in Seattle and can suck at times, but whatever. I'm just trying to say there are people in here wanting to learn about Seattle weather, not listen to a bunch of people fighting over who has the correct assumption for Seattle's weather.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 PM

... and here comes a random guy arguing with us, about arguing about the weather.

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Ha, I would love if you could site your source on this. Thanks.
Was that Ha said in a defensive manner or sarcasitic manner? I am thinking the former.

Anyways.... My sources come from my 5 years at the University of North Texas where I majored in International Politics and Diplomacy with International Development as a secondary area of concentration. I interned with the United Nations and the World Council on Foreign Affairs here in Dallas.

Now you want me to "google" some sources for you? This is common knowledge to anyone who has studied the economic development of the United States.

But, me being one not to dissapoint here is a link and a stub:

http://www.sun-herald.com/2000/fron17.htm (broken link)

The tremendous growth in the South and Southwest is directly attributable, in part, to air conditioning," Broikos said. "After World War II, a lot of corporations moved their headquarters south. That was partly because of the availability of cheap labor, but also because air conditioning allowed them to come."

I'll leave it to you to find more "sources"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area