Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 AM

97 posts, read 220,285 times

Advertisements

Now that the 'Mega' storm has left its toll...for those of you affected by it;
What did you learn?
Were you prepared enough like you thought?
Let's here some of your stories... everyone can learn from mistakes

We have had more than usual subzero temps, but normal snowfall.
So for me, this winter, my excuse is not enough firewood split & stacked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:43 AM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Here in Utah, it's just been colder than usual. All I've learned is that I want to move to the colder climes where it's like that all winter even more. Loved it!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
NHer here, That storm was just another pretty normal storm for around here. 18+ is nuthin special, 36+ plus is. The snow here now is less than normal for the time of year, but everything has been a tad later this year here. So maybe there will be the normal load of snow before it's all said and done.

Mind you all that I am having a full blown panic, but for quitting smoking, that's a problem!

2 so far today, and my time is 5:50 pm est

Learn anything? Nope...

Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
NHer here, That storm was just another pretty normal storm for around here. 18+ is nuthin special, 36+ plus is. The snow here now is less than normal for the time of year, but everything has been a tad later this year here. So maybe there will be the normal load of snow before it's all said and done.

Mind you all that I am having a full blown panic, but for quitting smoking, that's a problem!

2 so far today, and my time is 5:50 pm est

Learn anything? Nope...

The thunder snow we had was someting pretty cool though It was so bright and loud.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Even here in Austin we got hit with some icy roads and snow.
I was ready. Coming home Wed I pass the supermarket and the parking lot was FULL.
Gas station had lines 3 cars deep. I keep the truck between 1/2 and full at all times which is enough to get through an extended storm.
A smug smile as I drove past.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:11 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
That 2 cords were more than enough for 5 days of running almost constant. But what if it were 7 or 10 days? Learned I should have at least another cord at the ready.

More rock salt. Change to another brand of powdered milk.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 AM

97 posts, read 220,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Learned I should have at least another cord at the ready.
Yepp, I figured 3 cords also. Problem is, I only cut n stacked 2
Oh well, something to do on those sunny days ahead.

I guess when you live in snow country, icy roads and big dumps don't affect you much. I still have to chuckle at those pics of LSD in Chicago with cars stacked and buried. Even more amazing are the old pics from the same kinda storm in '67, which I was in, and all the cars stuck and buried on the same street

BTW Mac..I quit cold turkey, 30 some years ago. It's all Mind over Matter - You have to have control over your Mind, or it won't Matter

Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
The thunder snow we had was someting pretty cool though It was so bright and loud.

Don't know what you mean? Thunder snow? I didn't hear any thunder over here in Tamworth. Or do you mean walking on it and the noise that makes?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
That 2 cords were more than enough for 5 days of running almost constant. But what if it were 7 or 10 days? Learned I should have at least another cord at the ready.

More rock salt. Change to another brand of powdered milk.

2 cords of what?????????

A typical smaller house here will burn around 5 cord of wood in a whole winter.

The coldest months a place like that might burn a whole cord in a month, with lesser cold months using less wood.

I can't understand how you burned 2 cords in Texas in 5 days, unless the cords are not cords, or you keep your place near 100 degrees all the time.

A cord of wood is 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall and 8 feet long, stacked pretty tight. Like so a squirrel can move around in the stack, but not run.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 AM

outnabout. In part is is the ritual. I hand roll my own, and I just love the stuff. It has more to do with costs than it does with health.........

I am cutting down to 4 now... Sometimes mixing the bacca with mulien.

To me mulien is a medicine in the first place, and to assist breathing, and IMO it works very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness