Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I think we can sum that behavior up to poor parenting and I feel it is unrelated to the OP's topic. While I do agree the younger generation leaves something to be desired.
Actually it is related. When you have people who are stressed out their parenting skills tend to go in the wrong direction.

If you have both parents working or a single parent(very common today) the kids are running wild and not getting the guidance they need.

You have to realize it is a domino effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I thni it mosytly has to do with the econmic probelms around the world. If you watch the protestors in Egypt were most driven by econmic rather thn jsut oppression. The acceptance of Hitler by most geramns were fro the same thing. Generally few proetest whe ecomonmics are itheir favor or they are making gains. The same in US right now which can in a system pit one interest against another;especially the dependent and the providers.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:14 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times
texdav - type slower so we can keep up with ya. Your post kind of looks like one of those "can you read this sentence" e-mails, with only the first and last letter of each word being in the right place.

You're not agitated are ya?? <jk>

Old 02-20-2011, 08:17 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Now turmoil in China. I guess we're lucky here that so many people have guns that any such military crackdown would have to be as a last ditch resort.
But people seem to getting more antsy and there's more unrest. These countries have always had crappy regimes and poor human rights relations with their people and yet there was never a domino effect like we've been seeing.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 AM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Someone above touched on another important aspect that has been shaping our youth the last few decades:

Whether it's intentional on the part of The State or that society has just been drifting in this direction, we have adults who are essentially slaves to our "standards" (which are artificial and certainly bloated) and our State. When you lock yourself into a McMansion, Lexus, five 30% APR interest credit cards that are maxed out, etc... and taxes on all that... well, you don't have a lot of time for the kiddies. More and more, wealth (actually, the appearance of wealth and accumulation of "stuff") is the primary motivation in life for a majority of the people. Yes, we need funding to live. But, no, it isn't supposed to be like it now is--it's like using a wrecking ball to drive a nail. It doesn't have to be this way; we shape our society/economics through supply and demand. We're in the driver's seat. It's funny how most people never question things: that's just the way it is, so it must be normal. But, it's not normal.

One sad result of all of this is that we no longer have children (again, I'm not talking about everyone--just a good chunk of the populace), we provide room and board for The State's (and/or Society's) children in the few hours of the day we are not producing wealth for The State and buying toys with the leftovers. Are we finally finding out that The State doesn't make all that great a parent?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thni it mosytly has to do with the econmic probelms around the world. If you watch the protestors in Egypt were most driven by econmic rather thn jsut oppression. The acceptance of Hitler by most geramns were fro the same thing. Generally few proetest whe ecomonmics are itheir favor or they are making gains. The same in US right now which can in a system pit one interest against another;especially the dependent and the providers.
Yes, sadly the austerity measures that need to be taken here in the US are already beginning to show the beginnings signs of resistance as they did in Greece and France (see Madison WI ).

In the Middle East you have people revolting against long established dictators and monachies with a history of suppressing the people. Here in the US our POTUS is actually the one stirring the pot with the cries of class warfare.

I don't see how it can end well but I pray Americans are sensible enough not to let the protests turn to out of hand violence. Probably not the best time to live in a state capitol cities where significant austerity measures are in the process of being implemented.

Icy Tea, I really do not see the US military ever shooting on large crowds of civilians the way we are seeing happen overseas in the Middle East. They may use water cannons, tear gas and rubber slugs but there is one very important thing to remember about how our military differes from all others: the US military is made up of citizens who volunteer to serve and who swear their allegence not to the government but to the Constitution. I suspect they have no more wish to fire upon any of their countrymen as we would. Luckily, our election process and frequency of change in representation is enough to bleed the steam off of the political pressure cooker.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 02-20-2011 at 11:24 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 AM

I never thought about that, but I guess frequent elections do help keep the lid from blowing. We always have hope that things will change in a few years. At least, until the last few administrations.

I think the union protests will spread and probably get worse until someone, somewhere goes over the line and we have chaos. I don't think a lot of American military members will fire on citizens either, but I think a certain number of cops would. And there's always Mercs or UN soldiers. They don't really have to fire on the crowds though, with the new toys they have for crowd control. Maybe this bad boy will get some use:

Active Denial System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(finally, a good use for tin foil hats)

Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Just yesterday locally a man went to the house of his former roomates elderly parents and savagely attacked them with a hammer. He killed the wife and brutally beat the husband. Nothing stolen, no motive, other than " he snapped". He had been invited in.
I'm just saying that in our case the military firing on civilians would escalate any confrontation into an even bigger one. By having an armed populace we're all safer, its a deterrent. Maybe a better question is could we ever get into a conflict where protestors would make the military consider using force? IMO, if it came to that you might well find the military siding with the protestors. If it came down to opposing sides coming to violence, possible with the protestors on both sides in Wisconsin, what would the national consensus be? Crack down hard and break it up? Or would that alienate even more people against the government?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 AM

You may get the answer to that last question soon, Icy Tea:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-protests.html

I put it in the Politics forum because it would probably end up there anyway.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
People will get a lot worse shortly.

The rest of the world is talking abut making the Euro and the Yen the world base class of cash, along with gold and silver of course.

Each day the stake is driven deeper in America, for the splitting of a Nation.

Pretty soon we will be the newest 3rd world country, because the Feds sold us all out.

My only question is should I learn to speak German or Japanese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness