Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
Had a rough go of it over past cpl weeks, pretty much anything that could of gone awry did
but I told myself I would not tuck n run Id make it thru.

So anyone out there been in spot like this? Got any helpful insight?
Oh, man did you get flooded out?

For whatever reason it seems like everyone in Colorado is losing their housing right now. If it's not because of the flood, it's because of something else. I'm facing being homeless myself, and I've come to the same decision. I won't cut and run, but the thought of the cold coming in late fall and winter brings me no joy.

First of all, you're going to have to find a safe place to park your car where the cops won't come knock on your window and tell you to move on. Then you are going to need the warmest down sleeping bag you can find. If you're broke, put out the word that you need one. A kind hearted person may give you an old one of theirs that they happen to have laying around. Such a gift was once bestowed on me.

The reason sleeping in a car is so cold is that the heat escapes right thru the glass windshield, etc. Get some card board and rig it up so that you can cover your windshield and side windows with it (do it from the inside of the car, not the outside). A candle stuck in an empty coffee can will keep a car interior with the windows covered by card board surprisingly warm. Get all the warm winter gear you can get your hands on. You'll appreciate that pair of woolen socks, believe me.

If you live in a metro area, at the very least, retreat to the outskirts of town. It's dangerous to sleep in your car in Colorado Springs or Denver and it's illegal. Find some place away from the crowded city streets where you can park semi-hidden.

Good luck and I hope all of us in Colorado will be seeing better times soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 AM

40 posts, read 58,394 times
There are a lot of rural areas in Colorado - would it be safer and better advice to park perhaps overnight in the parking lot of a remote campground - maybe look for work as a kitchen hand -something like that?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
If you can, try to avoid becoming homeless in the first place. Have you exhausted any kind of assistance you can get from family and friends? Do you have substance abuse issues you need to deal with?

If you end up homeless, you're going to need to keep yourself looking presentable--try to find a place to keep yourself looking clean. Once local law enforcement identifies you as homeless, your life is likely to get a lot harder. Maybe a gym or church will let you shower so you can go to job interviews.

You gotta go where the jobs are. Better to "tuck n run" and have a stable life than live in your vehicle and possibly end up with a criminal record.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
You can do it if you have to. I've never been down to just that, but was on the edge many years ago.

For food, remember you can get ketchup, relish and butter packets for free at most fast food places. If you can figure out a way to safely boil water, rice and beans are super cheap and flavored with the above can keep you going a long time.

For warmth, you can often find a Laundromat where you can sleep and get warm for a while, sometimes even all night. You might find used clean clothes there, too.

Your local Y or Salvation Army should provide you a free place to shower. And offer you other services, too.

Do try to stay clean for the sake of your own health. Brush your teeth, even if you have to do it in a library or gas station bathroom.

Best of good luck to you - you can tough it out, don't worry! And there's no shame in asking strangers for help, either - many of us know what it is to need a hand.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:05 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose77777 View Post
There are a lot of rural areas in Colorado - would it be safer and better advice to park perhaps overnight in the parking lot of a remote campground - maybe look for work as a kitchen hand -something like that?
Absolutely! The only reason I didn't suggest OP cut out for the countryside is because he posted something about staying put and toughing it out. Since he didn't give a more specific location and because I thought it was possible he had been impacted by the floods in northern Colorado, I gave advice slanted more toward the urban side of things. But otherwise, head for the hills!

Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 PM

163 posts, read 424,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
You can amaze yourself at what you can do if you have little or no choices. I lived out of my pickup for a couple of months before I bought a camper to live in. It wasn't the best of circumstances but I survived and learned I had more in me than I thought.
Spent some time in Rockies this weekend began to think if Im in suv anyways why not road trip West Coast making my way back to Denver in late December.
Worried that 2700 a mth might not b enough to get me by?

Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM

163 posts, read 424,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I guess I "could." I would see if there were any state or local parks nearby that would permit me to camp overnight. My city has places that feed the homeless a hot meal everyday, so check with social services for food sources and possible temporary places to stay and/or grab a hot shower.
Yeah dont qualify as I make to much

Old 09-16-2013, 02:12 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
Worried that 2700 a mth might not b enough to get me by?
OMG, that's a HUGE amount of money!

Just be smart and don't go to expensive urban areas.

For that amount of dough you could easily rent a room or apartment in a small city or town in eastern CO, or most places in the southeast, midwest or southwest.

If you've got that much $ you're living in your car by choice. Nothing wrong with that if it's what you want to do.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Google "free camping" for your area, also "boon docking" and "cycling" to find places to stay where you will not be harassed by police. Google churches in the area to see who will give out food if you need some. You can also look for homeless shelters if you need to. Lots of people out there that will help you instead of just posting garbage to you. It's why America hasn't been destroyed yet. Once the good folks are all gone this country will be history, check out Sodom in the Bible.
Some folks still hold to a god of hate and vengence?

My God is an awesome God and one of LOVE...Matthew 10:30-31

Anyways, seems more and more of us are finding life really tough. Stay vigilant and look for opportunities where ever you are. Not to say this is a golden opportunity for you, but it is a continuation of life. You do have the influence to change it and make it into whatever you want your life to be.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
If you are living out of your car in a cold climate and you've got a few dollars, do not sleep in the car. Buy yourself a good sleeping bag, a backpacking tent and a foam pad. That equipment is designed for sleeping in cold weather.

That means you have to stay some place where camping is allowed, but there are many cheap campgrounds in the Western states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness