Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

When I see these "Dooms Day Preppers" on TV, I think back to all the people in the 50's who built bomb shelters. Lotta good those would have done unless you could stay down there a thousand years. The bunkers today's survivalists are building are just as silly IMO.

If something REALLY bad happens I am not sure I want to be around to have to hunt with a bow and arrow and eat survival rations.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I see these "Dooms Day Preppers" on TV, I think back to all the people in the 50's who built bomb shelters. Lotta good those would have done unless you could stay down there a thousand years. The bunkers today's survivalists are building are just as silly IMO.
What makes these modern manufactured bunkers so hilarious is that the locations of the majority of them are known to the industry professionals. I made it a contest at work to see which work group could pinpoint the location of the bunker when first shown on a TV show. I have a database of over 1,000 known locations of these bunkers with more added as I find the time to do a bit of research.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:42 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I had to double check and see that I wasn't on "the survivalist forum"
It's routine .
The best solution is significant gardening,
one's own infrastructure good communications and relationships.
Training.
Alternative medicines ,
water,
more water,
and a lot more water.
canned food you don't have to cook again to eat.

There are hundreds of things one should do, not just talk about.
The price of food is only going to be going up, and learning how to buy in bulk, and repackage food for the future, should be a natural anyway under normal circumstances.

Some folk are just new getting into this so for them it's fresh news , for the rest of us we've been doing it a while .
let the fire of interest burn steadily and get your foundation built and then let it become a hobby . You may have a few more years before soothing actually happens and on the other hand a tornado may strike and it all becomes handy right off the bat.
the future is hard to predict .
but doing something now means that part of the job is already done.
A solar flare or solar EMP takes out the continent right now, I'm still OK I could go for another year or two, more if the garden holds out .
But only a week if the neighbors have done nothing to prepare, and come demanding at my door.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:46 AM

34 posts, read 46,175 times
Don't forget the tinfoil hats!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
clear you narrow minded view of freedom.

Soon I want you to think about a world without TV, running water and no power.
Government will not be there to help you, protect you, provide for you.
Think about 50% unemployment, how will you survive.
Welfare checks and SS checks will stop.

Don't ask why, how or when it will happen but it will happen soon, soon enough that you have a chance to prepare now. Its not a conspiracy you not need it to consume your life, you just need to look at what is going on around you.

While I wish and I hope things will clear themselves up, but based on facts and reality in this direction things are going it is going to get really bad for Americans.

1. Stock up on food and water, if you can get some buckets, and large water bottles fill them up and store them somewhere in your house.
2. If you dont have a gun get one, or more. stock up on bullets, and this is a just in case situation to protect yourself from the hordes of people who are not ready for what is coming.
3. understand within yourself what you are willing to live and die for, what you think is worth fighting for and what you believe to be in your heart the freedom to live your life without the government screwing it up.
4. Find some friends, REAL friends who will be their when it all happens who will be ready to come check on you, your family and theirs, to pull resources and or just keep your insanity.

Do those few things and I can't say everything will be perfect but you won't starve to death and you wont be in a place where you have to wait for bread lines and hoping to be saved by the UN or whatever government program they come up with "save you"

No matter how bad it is, remember one thing, this is America no matter what they try and take away from you remember your liberty should not be removed for the promise of food, and government shelter.
We have lost our spirit and our control of our own lives, our own way to provide for ourselves.
When the store shelves are empty you will see what America has become.

This is warning in the end those 4 things will help you not hurt you, they will give you the freedom you need to make GOOD decisions instead of day to day waiting for government handouts that will never come.

They cant protect the border, the economy is on the breaking point of crash (they know it you know it), disease ebola will not be controlled, wars, terrorism, to secure bridge was replaced with white flags, is this the illusion you want to continue to believe in find but we are not safe, we are not ready to take on anything. We are imploding from with in, by years and years of bad policy and generations of people dependent on modern technology. No power, no heat, no water lets see how fast American population is wiped out.

3 to 6 months of hell and things will start to settle down. After those 6 months what kind of government will we have.. of the people, by the people or of the government of the tyranny of the people. Freedom will be defined if you let it.
thats the way it is?

Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Here are my motivations and actions:

1. I Collect rain water into a large tank so that I have it if my well pump fails. It could take some time to replace it and we have two horses and two people (my wife and I) and I need this water.

2. Solar: I don't want to be at the whim of the local utility company.

3. Pellet stove: I hate to burn electricity to warm up my home.

4. Garden: I KNOW what goes into the modern "food" today (if you can call it that). My motivations are purely personal - I like to know that what I eat was grown with just the soil I have and the matured horse manure my horses produce.

5. Beekeeping: I like honey, it has so many medicinal properties AND the bees are dying world-wide. Also, honey is expensive in the store AND it is garbage often imported from China mixed with garbage imported from somewhere else AND it is pasteurized. Sorry but that ain't honey no more and it still sells at high prices. Plus I love them bees, they are very cute

6. Have two chickens for eggs. The crap they sell in stores doesn't pass for eggs in my books. Plus they are pasteurized, again.

My wife and I put in all our fencing, do all of our own work (if we don't know how, we learn), built our hay storage unit, our chicken coop, we renovated the mobile home that came with the property (why throw away something that has already been built in order to spend more materials on another home?), so on and so on.

We are both fully functioning members of society with jobs, we are tax payers, we have never been on any dole whatsoever, no silver spoons wither - wife had student loans for her schooling and I worked while in college to pay all of my tuition while in college.

Are we crazy? Me thinks not. At the end of the day, it is what you value - are you OK buying the junk they pass as food in grocery stores or do you think your body is a temple? Do you feel it is OK to be dependent on dirty electricity and the price increases at the whim of the utility AND knowing that you could invest in a green and renewable energy source that is good for the planet? Same with water collection. So on and so on. By the way, we do not produce all of our food so we still buy the rest like rice, meat etc. but we buy organic and local when possible, when not, I order online from sources that are clean and follow good practices.

Not crazy preppers by any means nor do I care to even think of that crap. Just trying to lead a clean life. If one day we have a child, I want him/her to grow up surrounded by horses, veggies in the garden, bees and the DIY attitude, as well as with the knowledge to utilize every square foot of his habitat 'cause let's face it - land is becoming a prized commodity

Finally, I distrust corporations and unfortunately corporations now produce/sell EVERYTHING. Corporations also own both political parties in this country, hence, by extension I do not trust the laws to protect me, the ordinary citizen. I also fear we have become a police state so best thing to do is to keep your mouth shut, tend to your garden and enjoy life as much as you can

Old 08-01-2014, 08:54 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
You are not free. You are burdened and imprisoned by your paranoia, which you think is "realism."

You will be this way to the end - your end that is. Sad way to live.
Another end-of-the-world-is-nigh-er, nothing new here.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:03 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
I join others in wondering why OP decided to post his message here of all places. You don't find many threads here about depending on the government or what's the latest fashion in high heels or whatever. The best thing anybody can do to prep is to be aware of your surroundings. This includes city dwellers too. I am amazed at how many people have so little understanding of where they live that they take on grandiose projects doomed only to fail. I see this on the Colorado forum all the time. People think they can move out here, buy a 100 acres complete with water rights for a song and make their stand running a dairy farm and growing organic lettuce. The rural landscape here is dotted with the failed dreams of people who thought Colorado was just like Ohio or Kentucky.

Self sufficiency is a mindset as much as anything. What native edible and medicinal plants grow where you live? How far away are they and how hard are they to collect and process? It's a real experience to go out and actually wildcraft medicinal herbs instead of just talking about it. Big game may become scarce for any number of reasons. How many here have gone out hunting for snowshoe hares or squirrel or quail, etc.? Can you distinguish between the different animal tracks? Have you taken small game home and fixed it for dinner? What's the drought situation like in your area? If you live in one of the drought stricken parts of our country, are you doing things like creating cachement systems for rain water? Have you considered what crops you can grow when the water no longer flows from the tap or irrigation ditch? Are you learning skills that will make you an invaluable member of a society where all the things we take for granted are turned upside down and scarcity is the rule? Can you break in a horse or mule and can you put shoes on it? Can you spin yarn and weave clothing from the result? Can you bake your own bread in a wood fired oven? Today, these things may seem like quaint hobbies, but in the not too far future, these skills may determine if you and your family survive or go under.

Government as we now have it won't exist. That should be obvious. People will probably govern themselves in their own small communities. Think town hall meetings, not national election year run offs. Will America come through the crisis and still have some sort of direct democracy intact? I certainly hope so which is one reason I attend all the town hall meetings in my community and stand up and make myself heard. There's no better time to practice local self rule than now. OP needs to get rid of those fillings that keep broadcasting all that junk at his brain or maybe line his room with lead - if Mom and Dad will allow it.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Even though all four of my grandparents were homesteaders, I'm motivated by these comments to pay a lot more attention to the ultimate survivalist, the ICEMAN. Now there's a guy that even 5,000 years ago was not only prepared, but walking around with todays equivalent of Tylenol!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:42 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
are you doing things like creating cachement systems for rain water?
Of course, as you probably know, this is illegal in Colorado. Rain water belongs to someone downstream and if you impeded it you become the criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness