Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 08:15 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times

Advertisements

I have bought and stashed a years supply of food stuffs, that has a 25 year shelf life. So I'm not too worried about food to eat should the SHF. Water won't be an issue where I live either. Now if that asteroid slams the planet on Sept 24th this year...the massive earthquakes, volcano's and lack of sunlight for a year or so...might wipe everything out anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g0GaGGqzkI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I have bought and stashed a years supply of food stuffs, that has a 25 year shelf life. So I'm not too worried about food to eat should the SHF. Water won't be an issue where I live either. Now if that asteroid slams the planet on Sept 24th this year...the massive earthquakes, volcano's and lack of sunlight for a year or so...might wipe everything out anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g0GaGGqzkI
Are you our new moderator? You are definitely one of us.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
I've been around for a few years...but have never browsed this particular forum.

The way things are going on this planet...I'm taking steps to be prepared for what ever may come. Whether it comes or not! I live extremely close to the ring of fire. I have 4 active volcano's within a hundred miles of me, and we have 20 to 30 earthquakes a day here. Most are small...but this area of southcentral Alaska has had a 9.0 earthquake back in '65' and it was devastating then. Now there are 10 times the people and infastructure here. A 9.0 would put us in the stoneage!

Old 05-21-2015, 12:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Default How will the collapse go down?

In a nut shell, baring a global extinction event life will go on.

The Man has taken extraordinary measures to insure continuity of government for just about any imaginable scenario, even total nuclear war. Virtually any potentially country crushing event will be temporary in nature... even a complete governmental collapse will not mean nobody has the power to keep order or that local powers won't step up and work together to keep a "Road Warrior" scenario from happening. (fall of Soviet Russia... for example )

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day... and it didn't fall in a day either. In fact, Rome is still there... it's had it's ups and downs and is now a different world going by the same name. The same will be true of us in the long run.

In our lifetimes, one can expect localized disasters and short term events but disasters will eventually be cleaned up, bodies buried and life will go on. People will move around, some places will grow while others die and things will change. If you aren't personally counted among the victims, your ability to adapt will determine your success or lack thereof.

On a larger scale in our country the trend is that the rich will get richer and the poor poorer... look at a large Latin American country such as Mexico or Peru as a rough example of America's future. Meanwhile, the Man will become increasingly harsh and dictatorial while simultaneously becoming decreasingly effective at governance. Don't get me wrong though, they will hang onto power with everything they've got and if they fail, there will ALWAYS be someone else ready to jump in and do the same.

Increased populations will mean increased competition for dwindling resources; expect and get used to a more spartan lifestyle. A wise survivalist might want to learn more about slum life... there's a fair chance you might finish your life living in one of the many which have yet to be built in and around American cities in the coming decades.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:50 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
A wise survivalist might want to learn more about slum life... there's a fair chance you might finish your life living in one of the many which have yet to be built in and around American cities in the coming decades.
That's one reason why those of us who prepare, choose not to live in the cities! You can be just as poor in the country, of course...but there are fewer predators (human) around!

Old 05-21-2015, 02:41 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
That's one reason why those of us who prepare, choose not to live in the cities! You can be just as poor in the country, of course...but there are fewer predators (human) around!
It's hard to guess the future and every place is different but remember, there's a reason all those countryfolk are leaving for the megacities and ending up in the slums.

Something to think about, anyway.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:15 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
In a nut shell, baring a global extinction event life will go on.

The Man has taken extraordinary measures to insure continuity of government for just about any imaginable scenario, even total nuclear war. Virtually any potentially country crushing event will be temporary in nature... even a complete governmental collapse will not mean nobody has the power to keep order or that local powers won't step up and work together to keep a "Road Warrior" scenario from happening. (fall of Soviet Russia... for example )

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day... and it didn't fall in a day either. In fact, Rome is still there... it's had it's ups and downs and is now a different world going by the same name. The same will be true of us in the long run.

In our lifetimes, one can expect localized disasters and short term events but disasters will eventually be cleaned up, bodies buried and life will go on. People will move around, some places will grow while others die and things will change. If you aren't personally counted among the victims, your ability to adapt will determine your success or lack thereof.

On a larger scale in our country the trend is that the rich will get richer and the poor poorer... look at a large Latin American country such as Mexico or Peru as a rough example of America's future. Meanwhile, the Man will become increasingly harsh and dictatorial while simultaneously becoming decreasingly effective at governance. Don't get me wrong though, they will hang onto power with everything they've got and if they fail, there will ALWAYS be someone else ready to jump in and do the same.

Increased populations will mean increased competition for dwindling resources; expect and get used to a more spartan lifestyle. A wise survivalist might want to learn more about slum life... there's a fair chance you might finish your life living in one of the many which have yet to be built in and around American cities in the coming decades.
My guess is simple things like lack of water and environmental pollution will be causes of a demise for portions of the population. When you run out of water there are two choices - bring it in from elsewhere or abandon. Most of the cities out West are unsustainable with current populations and dwindling water supplies. Since we spent centuries exploiting without any control, we have reached and overshot the critical mass necessary to tip the scales towards environmental disaster - it is irreversible in a place like California. Many of those people will have to move eastward. In due time climate change / global warming plus more intense and longer lasting droughts will focus most of the population (which will still be growing) into smaller areas. At the same time technology will allow more optimized use of the remaining resources. Hence, populations will concentrate and any available, remaining land will be used for agricultural purposes - to feed populations and avoid unrest. This will mean that these lands will either be purchased by the conglomerate food suppliers (he who controls food and water will be king) or forcibly taken over by the government. In this scenario the rural folk fare much worse than they hoped for. Some of this will start unraveling fairly soon and some in the next 20-50 years.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:40 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
In due time climate change / global warming plus more intense and longer lasting droughts will focus most of the population (which will still be growing) into smaller areas. At the same time technology will allow more optimized use of the remaining resources. Hence, populations will concentrate and any available, remaining land will be used for agricultural purposes - to feed populations and avoid unrest. This will mean that these lands will either be purchased by the conglomerate food suppliers (he who controls food and water will be king) or forcibly taken over by the government. In this scenario the rural folk fare much worse than they hoped for. Some of this will start unraveling fairly soon and some in the next 20-50 years.
My goodness...you have such a wonderfully clear crystal ball! What do you polish it with...??

Old 05-21-2015, 05:30 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
My goodness...you have such a wonderfully clear crystal ball! What do you polish it with...??
The whole topic was asking for pure speculation. So I purely speculated

Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Well, if there was a fast collapse, anyone dependent on medications to live, such as diabetics, would pretty much have to go live in one of the big cities or nearby refugee camps, and hope for supplies and meds to be sent from other countries.

And remember, most people do need medical care as they grow older. And nope, herbs vitamins and a good diet aren't enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness