Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 01:15 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What do you mean by "over spot"? Are the Morgan silver dollars better than the "rounds"? I am paying $30 for the "rounds". What would be the best after the Silver Eagles?
Spot is basically the same as "melt", the market price for the metal content, ignoring the form factor and any pretty design. Generally you will be buying at something above spot unless you're really lucky (for example, a motivated private seller will often sell at today's spot price).

What is "best" depends greatly on your reason for buying and holding physical metal, and whether your state has any special sales tax rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 01:35 PM

2,710 posts, read 2,212,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Spot is basically the same as "melt", the market price for the metal content, ignoring the form factor and any pretty design. Generally you will be buying at something above spot unless you're really lucky (for example, a motivated private seller will often sell at today's spot price).

What is "best" depends greatly on your reason for buying and holding physical metal, and whether your state has any special sales tax rules.
I guess I am buying these in case the SHTF. What I don't like about the rounds is it is not accepted as legal tender by the US Government. At least that is what I have read. I am not buying huge amounts. I bought a tube of 20 rounds for $600 and I may buy some more every other month or so.

Old 04-14-2023, 03:58 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "over spot"? Are the Morgan silver dollars better than the "rounds"? I am paying $30 for the "rounds". What would be the best after the Silver Eagles?
What is best is a personal decision. If you're purely talking about resale, then this may be of help:

https://sdbullion.com/sell

It shows what one retailer will pay for your silver. After US sovereign coins, the next best bet is currently Maples.

This has been said here before, but sovereign coins are easier to find buyers for. That gives them value above and beyond what you can sell them for. If selling rounds, bars, silverware, etc generally the buyers have to be more skilled to determine what the actual silver content is. If a buyer isn't 100% sure they are getting pure silver, they may offer less for absorbing that risk. If they are only 90% sure your silver is pure, they might only offer you 90% of what it's worth. What if they are only 50% sure? When buying Eagles the added premium is like purchasing an insurance policy that 1) you will find a buyer and 2) you will probably get over spot for them.

Here's an article that summarizes a gold doping scandal. If one of the largest gold refiners in the world can get away with it, anybody can: https://www.jewellermagazine.com/Art...ked-by-scandal

Forgot to add, going back to "personal choice". A US silver Eagle is 99.9% silver. A Canadian Maple is 99.99% silver. A US Gold Eagle is 22 karat (91.67% gold) while a Canadian gold Maple is 24 karat (99.99% gold). Both coins contain the amount of metal stated. A 1 ounce US Gold Eagle will contain an ounce of pure gold, but the coin will weigh more than an ounce because it's not made entirely of pure gold. I'm not sure that any of this is relevant unless for some reason a person needed "pure" metal for some reason, but some people want only pure metal. Others prefer the added toughness of an "impure" coin. (American gold coins aren't as easily scratched as Canadian coins).

Both mints make gold coins as small as 1/10 an ounce.

Last edited by terracore; 04-14-2023 at 04:20 PM..

Old 04-15-2023, 08:24 AM

4,947 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
$18?! That's crazy.
It's gone up even more.
Yesterday SD bullion was asking $44 for Eagles, today it's $47; and the spot price(now at $25.62)went down significantly yesterday.
Yet they will only give you $7.50 over spot($33)to buy them back, they're making roughly $15 on those.

Old 04-15-2023, 09:47 AM

Cool As the spot price ratio between gold and silver increases, that little bit of silver doesn't mean as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
A US Gold Eagle is 22 karat (91.67% gold) while a Canadian gold Maple is 24 karat (99.99% gold). Both coins contain the amount of metal stated. A 1 ounce US Gold Eagle will contain an ounce of pure gold, but the coin will weigh more than an ounce because it's not made entirely of pure gold. I'm not sure that any of this is relevant unless for some reason a person needed "pure" metal for some reason, but some people want only pure metal. Others prefer the added toughness of an "impure" coin. (American gold coins aren't as easily scratched as Canadian coins). Both mints make gold coins as small as 1/10 an ounce.
The American Gold Eagle (AGE) metal calculation can be even more involved than that -- for every size of AGE, the composition is 91.67% gold (aka "22 karat"), 3% silver, 5.33% copper. So for every troy ounce of gold, you get about a gram of silver

Back when the price ratio was closer to 60:1 this actually could add up and private sellers would charge a slightly higher premium for eagles.

Old 04-15-2023, 03:22 PM

2,710 posts, read 2,212,297 times
What silver coins are accepted as legal tender beside the silver eagle?

Old 04-15-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
What silver coins are accepted as legal tender beside the silver eagle?
If you look at the global market, there've been quite a few offerings over the years. Even the much-maligned Franklin Mint got in on it back in the day, mostly for nations like Barbados, Panama, etc.

For US dollar trading, the most common choice is pre-1965 "junk" silver coins. The closest face value to melt value was the circulated 1965-1969 Kennedy Half Dollar, used to be you could find these in pocket change or by going to small town banks and asking if they had any half dollar rolls in the back of the vault!

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-15-2023 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-16-2023, 06:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have a big hanging scale that I use as a vendor at Farmers' Markets. I often see people using those small digital scales for bartering.

It all depends on exactly what kind of farm product you produce.
One thing I would say to people buying a scale for bartering in PM's, purchase a good scientific one, not the ones you find in the kitchen section of Walmart.

Old 04-16-2023, 04:16 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
I have a digital gram scale. It's small enough to fit into a pocket. We originally purchased it for measuring medication for livestock, but I did weigh some various coins just to play with it. It did report the weight of the coins exactly what they were supposed to be. It was inexpensive.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:49 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
It's gone up even more.
Yesterday SD bullion was asking $44 for Eagles, today it's $47; and the spot price(now at $25.62)went down significantly yesterday.
Yet they will only give you $7.50 over spot($33)to buy them back, they're making roughly $15 on those.
That premium of over $20 above spot price is over the top. I'd look elsewhere or buy something else (like maple leafs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness